• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    whats the word on kevlar-wear and trauma plates?
    i dont have 'real' need for them, but it sure would be cool to have a couple sets....
    cant seem to find this stuff anywhere, and cant think of any reasonable reason they would be illegal...
    Venture Surplus ad

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I don't think there is anything illegal about having and wearing bullet resistant gear. Like Bullet resistant vest, shirt, or that under shirt with a sappy plate in it.

Geronimo45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    NE Texas
    cant seem to find this stuff anywhere, and cant think of any reasonable reason they would be illegal...
    Some states, it's illegal to have armor if you're a felon. In some states, it's illegal to have armor on whilst committing a felony. Those are the only regs I've ever heard of. And there may be regulations against exporting some of the armor.
    Anyway, it's perfectly legal - and from what I've heard, perfectly miserable to wear. I don't figure it would be useful for anything but riots or babysitting.
    You could probably find the stuff on the internet.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hmmm. i will ahve to look around harder i suppose.
    i really want some of those ceramic rifle plates though... tasty!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    If you don't know: They're expensive, and there are two kinds.

One is the "in conjunction" plate, meant to be worn with Kevlar armor (usually IIIA rated). The thinking is that the plate will stop the bullet, but the Kevlar armor is needed to stop the spalling from the plate. These plates are cheaper and lighter, but the need to buy a carrier that's also bullet-resistant kills the savings on those fronts.

The other is the "stand-alone" where the plate is all you need.... besides a way to carry it.

There are also a few different sizes and a couple of profiles. I saw a plate meant for side protection at the last gun show I was at, it was really small. Front plates typically are rectangles with the top corners "clipped off" so that the plate won't interfere with shouldering a rifle or whatever. Back plates typically are rectangular. Plates can be curved for comfort or flat to save $$.

BulletProofME.com Body Armor - RIFLE Protection Plates

Top Bottom