• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • manceviller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    New Braunfels, TX
    Hello all, new to the forum.
    Today I got a 12ga double in trade, a Hunter arms "The Fulton." I have not fired it yet. However, when testing the extractor I had some issues. Upon breaking open the action the weight of the barrels are not quite enough to bring it down far enough to load easily, the rim of the shell gets caught on the edge of the round parts where the firing pins are housed. (Sorry don't know what they're/it's called.) You have to manually push the barrel down to get it to clear. Then when you pop it open again same deal, you gotta push down on the barrel to get enough clearance to pull out the shells. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I'm trying to avoid taking it to a smith if at all possible. Pretty poor at the moment.
    Military Camp

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You could lube it. Try some grease on the moving hinge parts and cycle it open and closed. It should loosen it up a bit.

You don't want the gun to be too loose. Dropping the barrels and letting them slam down could damage the gun.

manceviller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    New Braunfels, TX
    It's definitely lubed. Possibly too much. The damn thing was practically dripping in grease when I got it. I know it shouldn't be too loose, I mean for an almost 100 year old gun it locks up very tight. It's just tight to the point I have to use some considerable muscle to open it enough to load.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ok. Well that eliminates that possibility.

Does it look new? If so it may just need some break in. Being old doesn't necessarily mean it has been fired much.

I assume it doesn't appear to have any damage or dents in the hinge area.

I would take it apart and make sure there is plenty of lube inside the hinge area and the extractor parts.

Other than that I would shoot the hell out of it. That is usually the best way to break a gun in.

manceviller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    New Braunfels, TX
    Doesn't look new at all, plenty of handling marks, scratches, dings, etc. I plan on taking it out Sunday and shooting a couple rounds with it so hopefully things will go well! Thanks for the help

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    ..the rim of the shell gets caught on the edge of the round parts where the firing pins are housed. (Sorry don't know what they're/it's called.)
    Those are the "fences" - back in the day of percussion shotguns, they were designed to protect the shooter's eyes by "fencing off" the gases and sparks during ignition.

Edit: forgot to answer your original question. It's tight - you can do some work on it to slick it up if you go slow - there's a good example here:

Slicking up the Stoeger Side by Side Shotgun

Last edited:

manceviller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    New Braunfels, TX
    Another thing...it was advertised to me as a 12ga but is it possible that it's a 16? Will 12ga shells fit in a 16ga chamber? They seem really tight when I slip them in. They don't really slip in, they have to be pushed with some force. There are no markings anywhere on the gun denoting gauge.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Have you looked down the barrels and into the chambers?

Judging by the sounds of it the chambers may be gunked up.

Honestly, it sounds like my dad's guns. Shot just a few times a year and never cleaned.

Also, a shotgun that old may not be chambered for 2 3/4" shells. You may be best off having a gunsmith check it out. They could probably answer many of your questions better than we can without seeing it.

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    12's will NOT fit in a 16, no way no how. If it is old maybe the chambers need cleaned up good. wrap 0000 steel wool around a 12 ga brush and run it in the chambers with an electric drill. Just a few seconds at a time and see if that takes care of the stickyness in the chambers.

ervdrvr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Harker Heights
    I would say take it to a gun smith if you don't feel comfortable takeing the action apart yourself.
    It sounds like the action needs to be disassembled, cleaned and lubed.
    It's more than just the pivot that provides a smooth action. Old dried up lube in the action
    (cocking levers, hammers and sears) will cause the action to be very stiff on older lock box actions because of the fairly tight fitting.
    As reddog said....polish up the chambers also.
    Or....make me an offer....I'll take it of your hands...

Last edited:

bptactical

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    CO
    Get it to a Smith, excessive wear can throw the timing of the ejectors off as can old and caked up grease.

Top Bottom