Extremely worried!!! Please help..Specially Doctors

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

  • Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amber

    New Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    10
    1
    Hello everyone. I am new here and this is my first post after my introduction post.
    I am extremely worried and i need your opinions as possiable. I made a huge mistake.
    A friend of mine gave me a bag full of gun cleaning supplies to let me clean a couple of guns and see what works better for me. Since i am new to all this shooting and gun care and don't know much about these things. Anyway as i brought the bag inside my home i guess its then that a box of "Clenzoil- 1 step sloution" (a cleaner. lubricant, protectant) fell out of the bag. Since i was carrying this big bag of cleaners and all the gun care stuff, and some other bgas as well (groceries, shoes, clothes, toys for my nephews and neices) i didn't notice that this little box fell out of the bag. I hadn't even opened this bag yet so i didn't know what things were inside the bag and i had never seen this "clenzoil" box before.
    Anyway a couple of hours later i saw my 8 month old nephew licking the top of a small, black box (thank God the lid was still on it). I took it from him and rfead what it was and then i found out that it was a gun cleaner. I didint know if he had tasted any of that cleaner so to find out i myself licked around the sides of the box to see if there ahd been any cleaner on it, cuz the box had been open many times before and there had to be some cleaner at the sides of the box. I did find a somewhat strange sort of taste. Now i am worried about my nephew that he might have tasted some of it and i hope it doesnt have any bad effects on his health. If there are any doctors here or anyone who has had any experience with this cleaner please help me. I am scared to death and don't know what to do right now. I will take him to a doctor as soon as i can meanwhile i thought i'd ask you gentlemen and ladies for help. Please Help!!

    Please tell me he's not in any danger!
     

    lonewolf23c

    Active Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    552
    1
    Idaho
    Most likely he didn't get enough of it to cause any harm. If he's not showing any signs of poisoning, most likely it didn't hurt him at all. I'd keep the packaging that shows what it is though so you can show it to the doctor.
     

    Texas1911

    TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    10,594
    31
    Austin, TX
    The internet is no replacement for medical services. In the US there is a poison hotline in most large cities, you might want to seek out something similar. Most solvents are petrochemicals which can cause issues, but generally don't unless ingested in large dosages.
     

    GM.Chief

    Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    1,447
    21
    If you think someone has been poisoned, call the Texas Poison Center Network at 1-800-222-1222 right away. Do not wait for them to look or feel sick. We have four young kids, and over the course of their lives, we've had to make a few calls there ourselves. They're super helpful and will let you know immediately what signs to look for with each specific product.
     

    TxEMTP69

    TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    2,500
    21
    Rockport
    If you think someone has been poisoned, call the Texas Poison Center Network at 1-800-222-1222 right away. Do not wait for them to look or feel sick. We have four young kids, and over the course of their lives, we've had to make a few calls there ourselves. They're super helpful and will let you know immediately what signs to look for with each specific product.

    As I was scrolling/looking up # I came across this post. Exactly who you need to call for any suspected poisoning, these are great people (sometimes slow to answer at night) will assist you with everything.
     

    Amber

    New Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    10
    1
    In my haste i failed to mention that i took him to a physician and he checked the baby and said there was nothiong to worry about. Also the amount he might have swallowed..if any...would be so little that it would be harmless as theres isnt much of anything at that particular part of the jar, and that i had nothing to worry about. The baby had no symptoms of any toxics or anything but i was still worried and wasn't totally satisfied. So i posted this request here so that if any of you fine people have had any such experiences (i hope none of you have though) you could share with me and i'd probably be a bit more at ease.

    Anyway, i thank each and every single person who replied to me.. thank you all for taking time out to help me. A friend of mine who is also a doctor just spoke to me and now i am quite satisfied.

    Thank you.

    God bless you all.

    Amber.
     

    dbgun

    TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    3,444
    96
    Houston, TX.
    Hope everthing turns out ok with your nephew. This should be a real eye opener for you. Little ones can get into anything and everything. That's why being "kind" of new to firearms, you have to pay close attention to Firearms Safety.

    Your situation reminds me of when my daughter (when she was about 2 yrs. old) got into my mink oil that I use on my hunting boots. It was in our bedroom closet, but it was at floor level. I caught hell from my wife for not having something that could harm her, "out of reach". Needless to say we've been real careful ever since. If a little one can reach something dangerous like a weapon, chemicals, sharp items, etc. they will find a way to get to it. At least now you'll be on guard when he's around.
     

    FM-793

    New Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    28
    1
    SW Houston - Westbury
    I've got three little ones myself - Poison Control Center number should be posted on your fridge. Next time, you might want to skip the "lick it myself" step - if you're poisoned, there's not much you'll be able to do to help.
     

    whit128

    Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Give the little critter a dose of epikak, may not cure the problem but it will sure make him think twice before licking anything else including stamps. Heck I will sometimes just take a big dose so I can remember what it was like to have a hangover.
     

    dbgun

    TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    3,444
    96
    Houston, TX.
    Heck I will sometimes just take a big dose so I can remember what it was like to have a hangover.

    I'd rather drink cheap beer.
     
    Top Bottom