Eye Doc for Shooting Glasses

Discussion in 'Austin' started by bowzette, Jan 31, 2018.

1. robertc1024

robertc1024 Not That Guy TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I went to my opthamologist last year and told him the exact distance I wanted focused for shooting glasses and they hooked me up. I've found that they try to get people fitted with lenses that work for the majority of things, but I had explicit needs for pistol shooting and they ended up giving me a couple of prescriptions. Just a thought.

2. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yeah, they can do that. It's especially easy when you specify the distance. There are still some good points to consider among Dr. Wong's writings.

3. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    A note for diabetics - Changes in blood sugar change your eyesight. If you're shooting a match under pressure over time and you're diabetic, your front sight will go in and out of focus. Your prescription can easily change a full diopter in less than an hour. I have some adjustable lenses that solve the problem but I thought it was worth pointing out that precision shooting for diabetics is enormously more complicated than for people without that condition.

4. Rusty Gun

Rusty Gun brass picker

Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    Gonzo , I have the same issue I can see distance pretty good but front sight is blurry. I notice there is a top bifocal and a bottom bifocal. How do you decide Which one ?

5. GonzoLonzo

GonzoLonzo Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Schertz
    Hey Rusty, they have two different types of safety glasses. One has the the bifocal on the bottom like regular glasses for reading. For shooting, get the ones with the bifocals on top. As you bring your gun up, with just a slight tilt of your head the top bifocal will be right where you need it. They also come with extra lenses with and without the bifocal so you can just have it on your dominant eye if you choose.

6. Texan-in-Training

Texan-in-Training Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    These may not be legal in some competitions, but they do work.
    If you want to experiment first, a small disc of black electrical tape on your shooting glasses will work. You'll have to play with location and pinhole size...
    http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html

7. patoma

patoma New Member

Apr 18, 2014