• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Having driven wreckers for a number of years, I have seen this.
    It can happen even with proper equipment.

People do not realize the amount of energy that is released suddenly when a tow strap, hook or chain fails.

One of the other wrecker drivers had a 5/8 chain snap a link while winching out a stuck truck whit his 75 ton wrecker. The cable with a section of the chain still attached recoiled and flew back to the truck. It missed the operator but the hook penetrated the tailboard of the wrecker. That is 1/2 inch steel plate!

I cringe every time I see some bubba hooking up to a buddy stuck in the mud. This type of thing happens so fast that nobody can react fast enough to get out of the way.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    A SNAPPED WINCHINCH LINE MIGHT AS WELL BE A CHAIN SAW FLUING AROUND!
    We had cable with a rope core on all of our wreckers. When a cable would snap, the center core would absorb most of the recoil energy, but the heavy chains and hooks were another story.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Had a guy on a deer lease many years ago who tried to get his truck out of the mud with a come-a-long (hand winch). The steel cable snapped and it cut his leg open to the bone. He very nearly lost that leg.

His father and brother proceeded to get a suburban (4wd) stuck trying to get the truck unstuck. Then they got another 4wd truck stuck. They went into town (Dayton) and found someone with a bigger 4wd who agreed to pull them out. Got that stuck too. By now it was about 9 pm and had been dark for a long time. On the way back into the lease (at least a mile) they saw a number of large water moccasins in the right of way in their headlights. As they started walking back to the camp site, the only one with a flashlight dropped it and it broke, so they had to walk in the dark. The new guy had them take him to his father's farm and he came back with a giant John Deere tractor and pulled all the vehicles out.

The rest of us sat around the campfire and watched this fool's parade. We didn't feel bad about not helping as we had warned them repeatedly not to go back into that area because the ground was saturated. We had also offered to lend them an extra flashlight. They made a very big deal about being much smarter and more experienced they were than us and that we could go f*** ourselves for offering a warning to such obviously smart people.

People often wonder why bad things happen to good people. A lot of times bad things happen to stupid people.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Just the other day I snapped a heavy duty rope pulling a couple of Cedar trees with a kubota. Luckily it snapped at the bucket and slung forward away from me. Ropes seem to be the most forgiving when it comes to high tension failure.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I use sling load straps eye to eye, no metal 20 ton. Never seen one let go but if it did its 8 inches wide nylon.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Was taught early on to be mindful of lines. To add to what’s already been discussed: be mindful of drive belts. Bad condition ones have a history or opening guys up.

Anything can open you up. Just gotta see the danger.

Lines, belts, hydraulics so on

Top Bottom