Military Camp

Eye protection. There has to be something better.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    First off, I admit, I haven't done any real research. I'd rather rely on the experience of this forum's members.

So, I haven't given a great deal of thought to the glasses I wear at the range.
    It's usually a pair of safety glasses from work, a pair as a "bonus" in a ear muff purchase, etc......

Now I'm focusing (heh) on precision and long range rifle shooting.
    Of course, we spend inordinate amounts of time researching and deciding on which scope to use for that particular rifle. Then, we put on a cheap pair of glasses and distort everything. So, we remove the eye protection and shoot without it.

My livelihood depends on my vision. I just can't risk an eye injury for the sake of a bullseye or gong strike.

Where can I find a pair of safety glasses that won't distort the view through that fine piece of glass I have mounted on that rifle? Knowing me, they need to be fairly rugged.

No, I don't have a budget.
    Thanks in advance
    Hurley's Gold

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    I have to wear glasses all the time anyway, so I bought a pair of prescription safety glasses that are the wrap around variety. Like these....

5fb8d27136e95%2Fo%2Fn%2Fonguard_503_prescription_safety_glasses_metal_frame_og-503_satin_black_2.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Any of the eye protection made for the military. All of the issued sunglasses are ballistic protection. Oakley M-frames run about $100. ESS is also another common brand of ballistic glasses. As issued they come two lenses. Smoked and clear. Carrying case. I've had four pair of the ESS. They run about $50-$75 at army surplus.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I use $10 3M tinted safety glasses from Home Depot. I like them for a few reasons.

They are light.
    They are cheap.
    They provide certified safety (no way to test them without breaking them).
    I have never noticed any vision distortion in the normal viewing area.
    They do not have any bars across the top that block my view when laying prone and looking through a scope (they are all lense, no frame).

The fact they are made by a reputable company and are frameless are the biggest reasons why I like them. No sense spending more money on glasses that have to be removed because they block my view.

I am interested to see what everybody else is using too and why.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I'm interested in this too - I've just used whatever cheapo certified safety glasses I had - my other issue is the effect on ear-pro sealing. I was wearing muffs at the range yesterday (usually wear plugs but it was so cold, I appreciated the extra warmth) and the temples of the glasses really jack up the sealing around my ears. There must be some glasses with really thin temples.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Bought a pair of Wiley X a couple of years ago and been happy with them. Here's a blurb from Amazon, which has some decent prices.

"Per required government specifications and as outlined by ISO 9001:2008 and ANSI Z87.1 standards we
    continue to meet the government’s highest Ballistic Impact Standards. Select Wiley X products meet or exceed MIL-PRF-32432(GL) VO Ballistic Impact Standards for spectacles and goggles. MIL-PRF-32432(GL) requires a spectacle to withstand the impact of a .15 caliber fragment fired at 640-660 fps, and requires a
    goggle to withstand the impact of a .22 caliber fragment fired at 540-560 fps."

See their "Tactical Page" ...

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I use some cheapo frameless safety glasses at work all the time and have never noticed any distortion. I HAVE had an airline hit them with enough force to ricochet off and cut my eyebrow open without so much as a scratch to the safety glasses. I've also pulled them out flat when comparing them to high dollar glasses, and they didn't break.
    I like nice looking safety glasses that double as designer shades....but these cheap ones have never let me down.

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/pyramex-intruder-safety-glasses-with-clear-lens/#&gid=1&pid=1

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I'm interested in this too - I've just used whatever cheapo certified safety glasses I had - my other issue is the effect on ear-pro sealing. I was wearing muffs at the range yesterday (usually wear plugs but it was so cold, I appreciated the extra warmth) and the temples of the glasses really jack up the sealing around my ears. There must be some glasses with really thin temples.
    The 3M glasses I use have pretty thin temples but they are wide (tall?).

They don't dig into my temples.

I have a big head and they don't squeeze my face either.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I use some cheapo frameless safety glasses at work all the time and have never noticed any distortion. I HAVE had an airline hit them with enough force to ricochet off and cut my eyebrow open without so much as a scratch to the safety glasses. I've also pulled them out flat when comparing them to high dollar glasses, and they didn't break.
    I like nice looking safety glasses that double as designer shades....but these cheap ones have never let me down.

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/pyramex-intruder-safety-glasses-with-clear-lens/#&gid=1&pid=1

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    Those look identical to the 3M brand I wear.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I am far sighted when wearing my contacts, so I need cheaters to see up close.
    This makes my pistol sights blurry.
    I found cheater shooting glasses on Amazon which solved that problem.

Not really what Vaq is looking for, but just throwing it out there for others In the same boat.

ETA: Just saw I was ninja'd by Big Dipper.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I don't wear prescription glasses. I do fine with any open sights or red dot.
    When I look through a scope with safety glasses, the crosshairs blur. I've tried many pairs. It happens with all of them.

Might just be me. It's clear and sharp without eye pro.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I wear Edge polarized safety glasses from dawn to dusk. They run about $30 at most safety and work clothes stores. Bright sunlight gives me migraines so I had to find something that worked well for everything. They are great for driving and shooting. I wear a specific model because they fit my big ass head, and completely cover my eyes when most glasses don’t. I buy 3 pairs at a time.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Concur with ESS, I have been using their ICE NARO for both work and at the range for years, and find them perfect for clarity and ballistic protection...

https://www.esseyepro.com/ICE-NARO_210_category.html

ess-ice-2x-deluxe-eyeshield-system-retail-16__16131.1448995901.jpg

"ICE Naro™ eyeshield is compliant with U.S. MIL SPEC MIL-PRF-31013 (Clause 3.5.1.1), ANSI Z87.1-2010, CE EN 166 and U.S. Federal OSHA. All ESS lenses provide 100% UVA/UVB protection."

I prefer the Hi_Def Copper Lens, but they also offer Hi-Def yellow, smoked and clear lenses which are easily interchangeable. The nosepiece and frame pieces are also easily and cheaply replaceable. In fact, I have several pairs of each that I regularly use.

Cheers! M2

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I bought some Edge polarized safety glasses for $60. Most expensive pair I've ever owned.

Got hooked on polarized with cheap fishing glasses and won't look back now. It also helps sometimes if the sun is just at the wrong angle to reflect off the oculer lense.

Fairly durable. I'm pretty rough on glasses and these have some light scratches on one lens from being treated very poorly.

On my second pair because the dog ate the first pair. Had these about a year and will probablu get my third pair soon just because I don't like the light scratches on the left lens. Only notice it sometimes though. Frames are a little thick for standard ear protection but no problem with the "in ear" style.

Oakley may be better in some way, but I will never spend that much. To each their own. There is also a less expensive version of Wiley X sold in the walmart vision center but I don't know the cost. Company uses them for prescription safety glasses.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I wear ESS Hi Def. I used to get the cheap (free) glasses from work for shooting and realized that I won't wear cheap sunglasses so why am I am I compromising when I shoot? I bought the set of ESS for all situations (clear, copper and smoke), and side by side comparison there is quite a difference. I'm not saying that you should buy ESS, but most here buy good gear for hearing protection, are your eyes less important?

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I've been using the Peltor glasses.
    The ear/temple piece is thin and flat. It is made to slip under the ear cup on your muffs.
    They're available at Wallymart. Both clear and yellow tint. Less than $10.

Top Bottom