Eye Relief! Give me EYE RELIEF!

boisestatebronco

Apr 7, 2013
So I just purchased my first AR. It's a RRA Varmint A4, and I love plinking with it. Seriously fun gun. The only problem is, even with the stock fully extended, I feel like I have to pull my head back to get a decent site picture through the scope. The rings are set as far forward as possible, and the scope is set in the rings as far as possible. I'm a self confessed newbie in the AR world... any suggestions?

Dawico

Uncoiled
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2009
Lampasas, Texas
Pictures? Are you using a scout scope by any chance? Most scopes have 2-4" of eye relief. Does that match what you have?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
Jan 21, 2009
San Antonio
So I just purchased my first AR. It's a RRA Varmint A4, and I love plinking with it. Seriously fun gun. The only problem is, even with the stock fully extended, I feel like I have to pull my head back to get a decent site picture through the scope. The rings are set as far forward as possible, and the scope is set in the rings as far as possible. I'm a self confessed newbie in the AR world... any suggestions?
There are special rings for the AR to solve this problem. The only question is, how much do you want to spend? Personally, I'd suggest getting the highest quality you can afford, because the way a scope is mounted is probably the most important part of the equation.

I'm going to call this one "good enough". It's not as good as the one I'll post next, but it's Ok, especially for this price. SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm Scope Mount

This would be ideal, though. It's quite a bit better than the first one, and the price reflects that. LaRue Tactical Scope Mount QD LT745 | LaRue Tactical

Radioman93

Jul 10, 2011
Texas
What you are looking for is something like the following.....

QUICK-RELEASE AD-RECON MOUNT | Brownells

This will allow you to move the scope more forward out over your hand guards giving you more eye relief. I am assuming of course that you do not already have this as you said rings.

ETA ... M.Sage and I had the same idea.

Radioman

boisestatebronco

Apr 7, 2013
photo.JPG

That's the set up now. Leupold Mark 4 rings, and a Leupold Mark AR 4x-12x scope.

M.Sage and Radioman93 would it be safe to assume the s.s.a.l.t. = good, Brownells = better, and LaRue = Best? Just going off price alone, it looks that way.

boisestatebronco

Apr 7, 2013
I see the problem, you are using it upside down. You can see better if you flip it over.....:p

Someone should be along to answer your question soon, sorry I can't offer any better advice.

hahahaha! for some reason it flipped when I uploaded it. I have no idea why, but you all get the gist...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
Jan 21, 2009
San Antonio
View attachment 20189

That's the set up now. Leupold Mark 4 rings, and a Leupold Mark AR 4x-12x scope.

M.Sage and Radioman93 would it be safe to assume the s.s.a.l.t. = good, Brownells = better, and LaRue = Best? Just going off price alone, it looks that way.
I wouldn't assume that price is a direct indicator. The one from SWFA is pretty solid (I have one). The LaRue (don't have one; have enough experience with them, though) is about as good as it gets from what I've seen. The one from Brownells I have no experience with, but the two-piece rings on it kind of make me think I'd either save some bucks and go with the SWFA mount, or save up some bucks and jump into the LaRue instead. There's only about a $50 difference in price between the one from Brownells and the LaRue. $50 is cheap piece of mind.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Drockton Bullion
Drockton Bullion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members