• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisestatebronco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    So I just purchased my first AR. It's a RRA Varmint A4, and I love plinking with it. Seriously fun gun. The only problem is, even with the stock fully extended, I feel like I have to pull my head back to get a decent site picture through the scope. The rings are set as far forward as possible, and the scope is set in the rings as far as possible. I'm a self confessed newbie in the AR world... any suggestions?
    ARJ Defense ad

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So I just purchased my first AR. It's a RRA Varmint A4, and I love plinking with it. Seriously fun gun. The only problem is, even with the stock fully extended, I feel like I have to pull my head back to get a decent site picture through the scope. The rings are set as far forward as possible, and the scope is set in the rings as far as possible. I'm a self confessed newbie in the AR world... any suggestions?

There are special rings for the AR to solve this problem. The only question is, how much do you want to spend? Personally, I'd suggest getting the highest quality you can afford, because the way a scope is mounted is probably the most important part of the equation.

I'm going to call this one "good enough". It's not as good as the one I'll post next, but it's Ok, especially for this price. SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm Scope Mount

This would be ideal, though. It's quite a bit better than the first one, and the price reflects that. LaRue Tactical Scope Mount QD LT745 | LaRue Tactical

Radioman93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Texas
    What you are looking for is something like the following.....

QUICK-RELEASE AD-RECON MOUNT | Brownells

This will allow you to move the scope more forward out over your hand guards giving you more eye relief. I am assuming of course that you do not already have this as you said rings.

ETA ... M.Sage and I had the same idea.

Radioman

boisestatebronco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    photo.JPG

That's the set up now. Leupold Mark 4 rings, and a Leupold Mark AR 4x-12x scope.

M.Sage and Radioman93 would it be safe to assume the s.s.a.l.t. = good, Brownells = better, and LaRue = Best? Just going off price alone, it looks that way.

boisestatebronco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    I see the problem, you are using it upside down. You can see better if you flip it over.....:p

Someone should be along to answer your question soon, sorry I can't offer any better advice.

hahahaha! for some reason it flipped when I uploaded it. I have no idea why, but you all get the gist...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    View attachment 20189

That's the set up now. Leupold Mark 4 rings, and a Leupold Mark AR 4x-12x scope.

M.Sage and Radioman93 would it be safe to assume the s.s.a.l.t. = good, Brownells = better, and LaRue = Best? Just going off price alone, it looks that way.

I wouldn't assume that price is a direct indicator. The one from SWFA is pretty solid (I have one). The LaRue (don't have one; have enough experience with them, though) is about as good as it gets from what I've seen. The one from Brownells I have no experience with, but the two-piece rings on it kind of make me think I'd either save some bucks and go with the SWFA mount, or save up some bucks and jump into the LaRue instead. There's only about a $50 difference in price between the one from Brownells and the LaRue. $50 is cheap piece of mind.

boisestatebronco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    I wouldn't assume that price is a direct indicator. The one from SWFA is pretty solid (I have one). The LaRue (don't have one; have enough experience with them, though) is about as good as it gets from what I've seen. The one from Brownells I have no experience with, but the two-piece rings on it kind of make me think I'd either save some bucks and go with the SWFA mount, or save up some bucks and jump into the LaRue instead. There's only about a $50 difference in price between the one from Brownells and the LaRue. $50 is cheap piece of mind.

Well, I'd love to be able to fork out the money for the LaRue mount right now, but it's going to take a while to save up the pesos... guess I'll have to make do with the set up I've got until then.

Thanks for the knowledge and advice, I appreciate it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The Burris PEPR mount is very good also and serves the same purpose. I have one and like it. They usually run $70-$100 depending on where you shop and ring size needed.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The Burris PEPR mount is very good also and serves the same purpose. I have one and like it. They usually run $70-$100 depending on where you shop and ring size needed.

I'm about 90% sure that SWFA and Burris are having the mounts made in the same place. I've got a Burris 30mm low ring on my AK and the design, machining and hardware are identical to my SSALT mount. The major difference between the PEPR and SSALT is that the PEPR has useless rails on top of each ring.

Radioman93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Texas
    Well the only reason I linked to Brownells is because they give the forum a kick back if you use the link in the ads at the top of the forum page.

I have a Larue mount for an ACOG and its very nice. Only thing that I do not like about the LaRue mounts are the mounting cams. After taking the mount on and off you start to notice that its wearing the finish off of your upper. Very nice mounts they return to zero no questions its a good product. So I went looking for something else when I was looking for my first mount of this style. Nothing against LaRue or the folks that think they are the end all be all. If it works for you great happy you love it and I am sure its going to last you a very long time.

The ADM mount that I linked to on Brownells I also have. I like it, it returns right to zero just like the LaRue mount that I have. I have even taken the scope out of the rings to test fit something else and after reassembling it all again I didnt have to re-zero. It was right on again. Yes it does use a vertical split ring on the ADM mount. Also looking at the ADM website they seem to be making a few bases with a more traditional ring setup. I have not had an issue with it at all, holds the scope nice tight and stable. About the only thing that I do not like about them is that they use a different ring section to go from a 1 inch rise to a 1.5 inch rise. Cheaper for them to manufacture one base and use different rings to make that change but it limits me and the mounts I use for brass catchers. Nothing wrong with them doing that to save costs just something I dont like about them. I will probably still end up with another one for my next scope if I decide to go with more magnification than what I have on my latest build.

I also have a Primary Arms mount of this style. My only complaint about it is its not a quick release type. Otherwise I like that mount also. Nice and sturdy holds its zero pretty well. I have had to reset zero on it once after taking it off the rifle so I would not say it is a true return to zero mount but with the lack of a positive stop type lever to keep pressures the same time after time it might have been how much I tightened it or lack of tightening it to the same torque that caused that.

Check out all of the manufactures and see what you like.

Radioman

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I'm using an ADM for my Nightforce scope on my LMT 308 and it is top shelf stuff. One advantage that it has over the LaRue is that it's locking tabs won't mar the finish on your rifle like LaRue mounts are prone to do.

Top Bottom