• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cityboy

Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    Does anybody know how Taurus regulates the sights of a Taurus 856 at the factory? By that I mean what bullet weight do they use and at what yardage do they shoot them? I bought one recently and I've been completely through the owners manual and they don't say anything about it. I believe some factories sight their snubbie .38s at 25 yards using 158 grain bullets, but I don't know if they all do.

Also, if you have a Taurus 856, I'd appreciate knowing what you shoot in it and what load you find groups best.

Thanks in advance,

Cityboy

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I've got one, but I don't really shoot for "groups", per se.... for me, it is strictly a close up, 3-7 yard thing. I've shot it at 25 yards, and put most of them in the silhouette kill area, but at that range, my eyesight really prevents trying to "group". Double action, at 3-10 yards, I keep 'em all in the kill zone, which is accomplishing what I expect it to do. Honestly, I haven't shot it a lot, yet. Probably no more than a couple hundred rounds.
    I load a 140gr truncated cone pc'd bullet at probably around 800 fps. I'm going to start experimenting with my several different wadcutters, but haven't had the time yet.
    Sorry I can't help more with the grouping thing...

Cityboy

Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    I think they use some species of macaque to do all of their fit and finish, and I suspect that goes for the sights as well.

Hoji,

Fit and finish on mine is good enough--although I don't concern myself too much with that. Trigger pull in double action is better than several S&W snubbies I've had. I know that one example doesn't represent all of them, but I'm satisfied.

Cityboy

Cityboy

Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    I've got one, but I don't really shoot for "groups", per se.... for me, it is strictly a close up, 3-7 yard thing. I've shot it at 25 yards, and put most of them in the silhouette kill area, but at that range, my eyesight really prevents trying to "group". Double action, at 3-10 yards, I keep 'em all in the kill zone, which is accomplishing what I expect it to do. Honestly, I haven't shot it a lot, yet. Probably no more than a couple hundred rounds.
    I load a 140gr truncated cone pc'd bullet at probably around 800 fps. I'm going to start experimenting with my several different wadcutters, but haven't had the time yet.
    Sorry I can't help more with the grouping thing...

hornetguy,

Thanks for your input. I'm not really concerned about grouping at 25 yds, either, but that's what I heard some companies regulate their sights for. Like you, this is probably a short-range proposition only for me.

Cityboy

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Hoji,

Fit and finish on mine is good enough--although I don't concern myself too much with that. Trigger pull in double action is better than several S&W snubbies I've had. I know that one example doesn't represent all of them, but I'm satisfied.

Cityboy

I agree. I have a few Taurus pistols, and this revolver. The only one I've had any problem with is a 24/7 in 9mm.... and they did a recall on that one.
    My 24/7 in .45acp, my PT111-G2, my TCP, and my TX22 all have good fit/finish, and have been borderline flawless in operation. The only one I had to tweak was the TCP that kept locking the slide back when the nose of the bullet in the mag tripped the slide lock tab. I filed it down a little at a time until it fed mag after mag with no issues. It's been flawless since.
    My PT111 has probably had over 3000 rounds through it, and has never failed to feed, fire, eject..... never.

Those monkeys are pretty talented, in my book. I have no reason to believe this 856 won't be just as nice. This one is to replace the one that I blew up, using someone else's reloads that had been given to me. There was apparently one that was double charged, and the Mod 85 did not like it.

Top Bottom