Gun Zone Deals

Fads in the firearms industry.What do you scoff at? What have you learned to love?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I haven't heard or seen any evidence of this and don't tend to take people's word for things.

ESP when it sounds like a liberal scheme to connect the gun community to racism.

Not saying it's untrue, but I would need to see further evidence to contradict the most logical conclusion based on timing the gives strong support that the move came from young people watching people running around with guns fighting hoards of the undead. It looked cool, the good guys are being uber tactical, and they are using guns you can buy at Walmart, the movies were blockbuster hits, TV shows pulling huge ratings, it's everything you need for a great marketing campaign.
    Military Camp

TwinGlocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Houston
    The fad after Sandy Hook of overpaying for guns and ammo because you think the government is going to take everything away. Glad that's over with (well almost).

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I friggin hate quad-rails. If you put rail covers on them they are too large to manage. I mostly put absolutely nothing on them which ends up tearing up hands, sandbags, and scratching other weapons leaned against them. Why not just supply a handguard that has threaaded points that can accept rails if you want to add them. I especially hate the handguards that are just cast with the rails that are not removeable,
    <stepping down from soapbox>

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    I haven't heard or seen any evidence of this and don't tend to take people's word for things.

ESP when it sounds like a liberal scheme to connect the gun community to racism.

Not saying it's untrue, but I would need to see further evidence to contradict the most logical conclusion based on timing the gives strong support that the move came from young people watching people running around with guns fighting hoards of the undead. It looked cool, the good guys are being uber tactical, and they are using guns you can buy at Walmart, the movies were blockbuster hits, TV shows pulling huge ratings, it's everything you need for a great marketing campaign.

I think we are missing each other. I'm talking over a decade ago, well before the walking dead series and world war z books.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It was explained to me by a LEO friend that one of the places that the zombie thing originally came around was in white supremacist groups as a way of talking about race war.

I think we are missing each other. I'm talking over a decade ago, well before the walking dead series and world war z books.

I can vouch for the usage cited by NOLA Jack. Back when The Turner Diaries* was ascendant among certain population segments, "zombies" was, indeed, sometimes used as a racial epithet.

* - I was taught that books are holy things representing the efforts of man to record knowledge and that they must be respected. My parents lived when the Nazis were burning books and, to them, disrespect toward books was a sin. They passed that attitude along to me. The Turner Diaries is one of the two books in my life that I've bought brand new, read cover to cover, and instantly thrown in the trash. For me, that's saying something.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

I suspect so. After looking around I would say common usage for "zombie" probably shifted much further back them a decade ago, although it may have been used by supremacy jack offs more recently. I'm guessing around the time modern zombies started hitting the screen (night of the living dead).

Although I did find a few liberal blog posts attempting to claim that the terms are still simply an attempt by all gun owners to cover their racism.

Too young to have a good understanding of any culture shifts going back that far. The current swing seemed to start with the Resident Evil movies.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I can vouch for the usage cited by NOLA Jack. Back when The Turner Diaries* was ascendant among certain population segments, "zombies" was, indeed, sometimes used as a racial epithet.

* - I was taught that books are holy things representing the efforts of man to record knowledge and that they must be respected. My parents lived when the Nazis were burning books and, to them, disrespect toward books was a sin. They passed that attitude along to me. The Turner Diaries is one of the two books in my life that I've bought brand new, read cover to cover, and instantly thrown in the trash. For me, that's saying something.

Seems now it is changing from race to a term for those who live a "sheepish" lifestyle. Even then, for most it is nothing more than a target that makes you feel like a real bad ass saving a helpless virgin from a stationary zombie who will stand still on the verge of biting until you finally hit him in the face so you can move in and put some tape over the 14 holes in the virgin victims face after which you can walk away with confidence that you alone could save the world from infinite hoards of undead.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Nailed it! What's the deal with the "Zombie Stopper" Eotech with the biohazard reticle? Or the Hornady Zmax ammo? No advantages to the consumer, simply companies playing the Zombie market and making a killing off of it.
    Same ammo, same price, different box.

And yes, I bought 1 or 2 just for the shitz n giggles. :laughing:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Same ammo, same price, different box.

And yes, I bought 1 or 2 just for the shitz n giggles. :laughing:

IT'S NOT THE SAME!

My critical defense has a red insert, Zmax has a zombie stopping green insert. Very important difference.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    These days with all the PC bull crap you can't shoot at the paper targets that show a crook holding a woman hostage but nobody gives a rats ass if you shoot at paper zombies. Also it's spurred a lot thought into preparing for the worst case scenario, one persons zombie apocalypse is another's government downfall is another's natural disaster, etc.

Had a Lady bring her Daughter in to shoot....Excellent, I thought.... She then asked for any target other than silhouette or pictures.

"My daughter will never need to know how to shoot at people"...well...I let it go...

At least she is exposing her Daughter to shooting, and that was the most important thing, I thought at the time.

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    I suspect so. After looking around I would say common usage for "zombie" probably shifted much further back them a decade ago, although it may have been used by supremacy jack offs more recently. I'm guessing around the time modern zombies started hitting the screen (night of the living dead).

Although I did find a few liberal blog posts attempting to claim that the terms are still simply an attempt by all gun owners to cover their racism.

Too young to have a good understanding of any culture shifts going back that far. The current swing seemed to start with the Resident Evil movies.

Yeah, liberals have never been known for radiating truth. I'm a bit disappointed that I forgot about the resident evil movies as a time reference.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Belted cartridges. Absolutely unnecessary in bolt action rifles and is simply a gimmick used by rifle and cartridge manufacturers to gain from the popularity of the British Flanged Magnums used in the heyday of African big-game hunting. I mean, who hasn't read about John A. Hunter or Peter Capstick!?! Flanged, or belted cartridges (and rimmed) were necessary in order to correctly headspace the cartridge in the chambers of the SXS break-open express rifles used back then and to ensure a good primer/firing pin strike. The belt has nothing to do with containing "higher pressure" or anything else. Take the .284 Winchester, an un-belted cartridge which is rated by SAAMI at 56,000 psi and proofed at 68,000...and is a popular cartridge in the Savage 99, a lever action rifle. Belt-Shmelt!

Top Bottom