Lynx Defense

Fads in the firearms industry.What do you scoff at? What have you learned to love?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    People decking out their cheap ass ARs with Chinese UTG crap. I know their U.S. made "Pro" stuff is slightly better but still crap.

Buy crap, get crap.

I know I probably pissed a few of you off with that but if the shoe fits.
    Hurley's Gold

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    tazesy6e.jpg

Lol

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    if you do not automaticaly know what is wrong with a pink and purple gun, then we have nothing else to discuss
    I guess I shouldn't mention the neon yellow and lime green pistol I have in the planning stages...;)

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    I agree with the zombie marketing scoffers, it was cute and funny...at first. OK, so I have one ONE box of Hornady Zombie loads that a friend gave me as a joke LOL.

I am glad that the whole Ultra, WSSM, WSM ETC. fad is over. I think the only cartridge that made the cut was the .300 WSM

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    I friggin hate quad-rails. If you put rail covers on them they are too large to manage. I mostly put absolutely nothing on them which ends up tearing up hands, sandbags, and scratching other weapons leaned against them. Why not just supply a handguard that has threaaded points that can accept rails if you want to add them. I especially hate the handguards that are just cast with the rails that are not removeable,
    <stepping down from soapbox>

Hear, hear. I think that's how Keymod rails got invented. My own AR-15 SBR has a Samson Evo Ultra Lite rail on it that doesn't use quad rails. Just mounting points to add short rail sections or sling mounts as needed.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Pistol grip shotguns.

I know they have a purpose and some like them, but for the majority of the people buying them they offer no advantages and several disadvantages.

You and me both. I've yet to shoot a pistol-grip shotgun that didn't feel awkward to shoot.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    I cant decide if the widespread adoration of ARs is a fad or if the quest to find something better than the AR is the fad.

I think the popularity of the AR is largely due to the fact that we have been at war for over a decade and so many veterans that depended on them and became so familiar with them, lots of vets. How many WWII vets had M1's?

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I think the popularity of the AR is largely due to the fact that we have been at war for over a decade and so many veterans that depended on them and became so familiar with them, lots of vets. How many WWII vets had M1's?

Gonna have to agree, I wasn't into guns until the Corps even though I grew up around them and had been hunting.

Bisquit69

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    I am glad that the whole Ultra, WSSM, WSM ETC. fad is over. I think the only cartridge that made the cut was the .300 WSM

I own a 270 WSM and it is one accurate and nice shooting gun. Love it more than my 270 or 300 Weatherby.

As a side note I hate the whole hoarding of ammo and outrageous price of anything firearm related.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I kinda get tired of seeing all the operator clothing. You know-tan or black cargo pants-pressed flat. Then, usually a black or tan collared shirt to go with it. Don't forget the tactical combat boots. It REALLY drives me nuts when I see them in groups. I don't understand the uniform. You're not blending in by wearing that. I can't see it really having a tactical advantage. I don't get it.

I agree. I laugh at all the 5.11 tac display pics we have at the 5.11 tac booth at work. People wearing pressed khakis with excessive pockets taking themselves top seriously.

I own a Les Paul, but I'll never be a Les Paul!

Good man, good taste.

Not sure the fad of people wanting to carry antique guns will last very long. All these guys trying to looks cool carrying their muskets, flint lock pistols, and 1911s will eventually get board of it and buy a modern firearm.

*Bored

I was going to argue with you, but I remembered that I'm selling my 1911 to buy a double stack 9mm gun to replace my 1911 for carry lol.

I carry a 1911 (for now) because I like it. No real rationale or logic to my decision.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    AR "fads" that needs to go away:
    Slidefire stocks, drop-in self-contained trigger groups, magwell grips, Magpul fanboys, full quad-rails (though I love my DDM4V1 LW), Zombie green and pink furniture, NiB coated everything, Kryloning your whole gun, non-standard recoil/buffer systems (sorry VLTOR V5 fanboys), piston guns, cheek risers on non-SPRs, Aimpoint Micros (irons, FTW), non-standard barrel nuts, flip up BUIS on rifles with no primary optic, and last but not least: all of those damn lightweight builds where people will spend an extra $1000 on their rifle to shed half a pound of weight.

General "fads" that need to go away:
    .410 revolvers, MIM parts, reduced recoil buckshot (come on, if you're gonna blast someone with buckshot, you might as well pull out all of the stops), polymer guide rods and pins, fiber-optic sights (I like the sight picture that they produce, but I'll be damned if I haven't broken every set on every gun that I've put them on), ridiculously overpriced factory magazines, interchangeable front and back straps on polymer handguns, giant horking 16 round pump shotguns (learn to top off), POCKET NINES.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    It was explained to me by a LEO friend that one of the places that the zombie thing originally came around was in white supremacist groups as a way of talking about race war.
    You're LEO friend is wrong. Zombies have been part of the popular culture ever since Gene Romero produced the original "Night of the Living Dead" back in the fifties and has been sustained by the endless sequels and Dawn of the Dead series of movies through to the current Walking Dead TV show. Zombies are creepy, all-consuming mindless hordes...which is why in my circle of friends we use the term "Zombie" to describe Liberals no matter what their race. We prepare for marauding hordes of Obama-Zombies looking for more free shit after the Federal government runs out of our money. That's where the real menace lies.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Wow, you gun owners really don't like anything, lmao.

@Jackashh, I really don't care what anyone carries. I was jest trollin'.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I cant decide if the widespread adoration of ARs is a fad or if the quest to find something better than the AR is the fad.
    Definition of "Fad" from the Merriam-Webster dictionary: "something (such as an interest or fashion) that is very popular for a short time." Nothing "short" about the length of time the AR has been popular.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I just wish they had been more popular when you could order an M16 from a catalog. Maybe then an MG lower wouldn't cost more than a car.

Top Bottom