Target Sports

Fads in the firearms industry.What do you scoff at? What have you learned to love?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So I posted this thread after reading this article: Chasing the Fad | The Bang Switch

What fads or perceived fads have proven to be lasting and to have been substantiated through real evidence over time?

What are the most ridiculous fads you've seen come and go?

What are the current fads and how do you see them playing out?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Zombie stuff. Everything zombie. The zombie marketing shtick is aggressively stupid and I can't wait to see this fad die a quick (and hopefully painful) death.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I see that idea of having the powder, bullet, and primer all included in one single unit not lasting. Before we could easily inspect our powder, make sure the ball was just as round as we like them and then make sure the cap was properly seated on the nipple. Yes, I know we were anal about our equipment and precision making sure all was in working order before taking that single important shot. Now days everyone has ADHD and wants to be able to fire more than 3 rounds a minute and not learn the basics, kids................smh.

jjminch

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 1, 2014
    Zombie stuff. Everything zombie. The zombie marketing shtick is aggressively stupid and I can't wait to see this fad die a quick (and hopefully painful) death.

This.

Also shotgun pistols like the judge. And Mossberg has a lame 500 called the chainsaw or something with like a weed wackier handle on it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    One fad that I hate that will never die: developing a new round that sends a bullet 100 fps and claiming that it is the best ever. Every other round that shoots the same bullet just a tad slower is now obsolete.

I smile when that new round fades and disappears almost completely.

Apparently many people agree. I still see many new 30.06 rifles on the shelves.

I do love innovation though. Do not confuse the two.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The most annoying fad of all (to me at least) is that of people thinking they can buy their success with gear, as opposed to hard work. Probably applies to a lot of industries. Good gear is great, but it's nothing without putting in the work and developing the skill. This one will never die though. It will forever be there for us to make fun of and troll people with.

That particular article from MAC has a lot of bad/inaccurate info in it, mainly in regards to some of the firearm techniques.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I kinda get tired of seeing all the operator clothing. You know-tan or black cargo pants-pressed flat. Then, usually a black or tan collared shirt to go with it. Don't forget the tactical combat boots. It REALLY drives me nuts when I see them in groups. I don't understand the uniform. You're not blending in by wearing that. I can't see it really having a tactical advantage. I don't get it.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio

Nailed it! What's the deal with the "Zombie Stopper" Eotech with the biohazard reticle? Or the Hornady Zmax ammo? No advantages to the consumer, simply companies playing the Zombie market and making a killing off of it.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone

I'm not personally a fan, but it does get a LOT of people into guns so I reluctantly say, "More power to it."

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    The most annoying fad of all (to me at least) is that of people thinking they can buy their success with gear, as opposed to hard work. Probably applies to a lot of industries. Good gear is great, but it's nothing without putting in the work and developing the skill. This one will never die though. It will forever be there for us to make fun of and troll people with.

That particular article from MAC has a lot of bad/inaccurate info in it, mainly in regards to some of the firearm techniques.

I own a Les Paul, but I'll never be a Les Paul!

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Two fads I didn't like the idea of but have grown to love: Weapon-mounted lights and tritium sights. Two of the best accessories you can buy IMO.

Worst fads: the RIP bullet (needs no explanation), gun-holster clothing (Not as secure as a proper firearm, can't be re-used without smelling like B.O.), trainers who get more attention by saying "Controversial/divisive" (i.e. "Stupid and ignorant") things than those who deserve praise.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Weedwhacker handle is an excellent description of the Mossberg Chainsaw.

I think the zombie stuff is dying out finally. Im seeing more stock SKS rifles now instead of ones 1/2 turns into AKs with crappy parts.

Regarding people valuing gear over skill. Thats pervasive in almost each hobby, lifestyle or subculture.

I think it relates to 2 societal issues. We have more money (or credit) than we do time. Second issue is related to the first and thats that we want everything right now and that immediate gratification is sold to us.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Fads in the firearms industry.What do you scoff at? What have you learned to ...

Polymer was considered a fad at one point in time especially when it came to handgun frames and magazines but has proven it's reliability and is here to stay.

Wasn't big on the zombie thing at first (still wouldn't go out and buy a green and black zombie stopper gun) but I've since realized its worth. These days with all the PC bull crap you can't shoot at the paper targets that show a crook holding a woman hostage but nobody gives a rats ass if you shoot at paper zombies. Also it's spurred a lot thought into preparing for the worst case scenario, one persons zombie apocalypse is another's government downfall is another's natural disaster, etc.

The operator aspect in regard to all the tan clothing/accessories come from being at war in the dessert over the last decade, lots of stuff developed for the .mil and contractor side of the house that wasn't picked up and this made it to the civilian market. If we had been in another jungle country I think you'd see more geared towards that.

It really comes down to what sells, if the zombie stuff makes money it just makes sense that a company would cash in on that.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Depending on the groups you run with, "zombie apocalypse" can have a different meaning. Kind of code for other scenarios that doesn't get you crazy looks (strangely enough).

Not sure the fad of people wanting to carry antique guns will last very long. All these guys trying to looks cool carrying their muskets, flint lock pistols, and 1911s will eventually get board of it and buy a modern firearm.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Polymer was considered a fad at one point in time especially when it came to handgun frames and magazines but has proven it's reliability and is here to stay.

Wasn't big on the zombie thing at first (still wouldn't go out and buy a green and black zombie stopper gun) but I've since realized its worth. These days with all the PC bull crap you can't shoot at the paper targets that show a crook holding a woman hostage but nobody gives a rats ass if you shoot at paper zombies. Also it's spurred a lot thought into preparing for the worst case scenario, one persons zombie apocalypse is another's government downfall is another's natural disaster, etc.

The operator aspect in regard to all the tan clothing/accessories come from being at war in the dessert over the last decade, lots of stuff developed for the .mil and contractor side of the house that wasn't picked up and this made it to the civilian market. If we had been in another jungle country I think you'd see more geared towards that.

It really comes down to what sells, if the zombie stuff makes money it just makes sense that a company would cash in on that.

This is a great point, along with the targets, which I'm glad are gone from Academy because my son wouldn't even go into the store because those fricken targets were in there.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Pistol grip shotguns.

I know they have a purpose and some like them, but for the majority of the people buying them they offer no advantages and several disadvantages.

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Depending on the groups you run with, "zombie apocalypse" can have a different meaning. Kind of code for other scenarios that doesn't get you crazy looks (strangely enough).

It was explained to me by a LEO friend that one of the places that the zombie thing originally came around was in white supremacist groups as a way of talking about race war.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood

Gear sells. Training, only to a small percentage.

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

Top Bottom