Failing the shooting portion of the CHL Class

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by navyguy, Jul 1, 2009.

1. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Has anyone been in a CHL class where someone could not qualify in the shooting part? I've never heard of anyone not passing, and I wonder if they just let eveyone go even if the can't hit the broad side.

2. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    There was a guy who came to the range portion of my class, apparently had been in the previous class and had not passed the shooting. He passed this time, still looked like he was struggling alot

3. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Was he blind or drying out from the booze or dope????
    Hell I passed with a 187 with my 9mm
    Which is better than I shot with my 357mag at the Bulls-eye match

4. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    definately seemed like there was some eyesight issues, some firearm issues, i wasn't close enough to see what "the cause" may have been, but after every sequence of fire he had alibi's to shoot

5. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    While I cannot speak for all CHL instructors, I can tell you that we can lose our instructor certification and face severe penalities for passing a failing student.

I have had students who had to retake the test (the CHL rules gives them three attempts) in order to pass. The odd thing is those few who have had to retake all scored over 200 on the second attempt.

6. riverara

riverara New Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I must have been placed between to friends because they kept looking aorund me talking to each other. Neither of them knew how to operate their glocks (lock the slide back, etc) I think they were both able to pass though.

7. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I've failed at least one that I can remember. I've also had several who failed the first attempt and passed on the second. I'll give them pointers if they're struggling. I'll even help them load their magazine, but I never fudge on the score. They get what they get.

8. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    That's sad too. They only need to be able to pull the trigger and put holes on the right place (which I can't see how anyone could miss) I'm really surprised basic pistol handling proficiency isn't part of it but it is what it is.

9. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    That's good to know. Scoring enough to pass shouldn't be a problem for anyone who has at least shot a couple hundred rounds, and has proper grip and aiming techniques. But the shooting, gun handling portion is in there for a reason.

10. eriadoc

eriadoc Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    My wife took the class a couple weeks ago and two of the people accompanying her failed the shooting portion of the test. This was at Top Gun in Houston.