• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sneakyabn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Pasadena
    Three of the insructors here have been teaching since the very beginning and between them there has only been one failure in the whole time(and nothing fudged on) The person failed because of the test(she didn't read English and refused to retake the test in Spanish) As instuctors it is our duty toINSTUCT, if there are people out there having issues we should help them ( in the right way). Shooting for them and not making them fix malfunctions will hurt them in the long run.

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    when I took my first CHL class back in '04, a woman showed up with a snubbie who had NEVER fired a gun, including the one she had with her ... she failed the shooting test pretty badly, but the instructor took her aside during a break and all but shot the gun for her, giving her a passing score ... nice lady, but I'm guessing she hasn't been to the range since and is wandering around my part of Texas with a loaded gun and no idea of how to use it properly. I don't think instructors are doing anybody a favor by passing someone who can't pass the test; send them to the range, then let them retake the class for free ... I wouldn't want an accidental shooing on my conscience ...

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    when I took my first CHL class back in '04, a woman showed up with a snubbie who had NEVER fired a gun, including the one she had with her ... she failed the shooting test pretty badly, but the instructor took her aside during a break and all but shot the gun for her, giving her a passing score ... nice lady, but I'm guessing she hasn't been to the range since and is wandering around my part of Texas with a loaded gun and no idea of how to use it properly. I don't think instructors are doing anybody a favor by passing someone who can't pass the test; send them to the range, then let them retake the class for free ... I wouldn't want an accidental shooing on my conscience ...

I agree with that. But especially so if the person has no clue as to how to safely handle a gun. My wife so wanted to shoot my Sig for the test, as it is a very soft shooting gun, that she did very well with when we practiced. But she had problems racking the slide, and I told her she needed to be able to run-the-gun by herself (without putting it between her knees) and clear it if it jammed (My Sig jam... no way ;)) She shot a G19 which she could handle better and did just fine.

Scott_F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    CSTX
    That reminds me of a time when I was taking one of my renewal classes with a good friend. With a little bit of friendly competition going on, we were both going into the last round of fire with perfect scores. Not wanting to lose, I put my very last shot right above the shoulder outline on his target. He was very upset at his one "flyer," and I know he wanted kick my ass when I told him what I'd done...after we were done with the class. ;)

That sounds like something devious that I would do to a friend. :) funny as hell.

In my CHL class, everyone passed. Amazingly enough. Some real winners in there.

Heck, look at all the marks on the ceiling in your local indoor range! My favorite was the poor guy who's gun jammed at least once every group of five rounds. When we walked out of the test, I asked him what he was going to buy to replace it. He looked at me like I was crazy. I asked him if he was going to carry that thing and he said, yep.

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Just curious -

If a shooter fails the proficiency test, does he/she have to take the entire course over again - or just repeat the firing portion?

(I've never had a problem - always shoot 240+ if my memory is correct)

I once saw a firearms instructor teaching a couple how to shoot at the range. The husband was blind, and the instructor was giving him a lesson on firing at the target by using verbal directions.

He could hit the paper too.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Heck, look at all the marks on the ceiling in your local indoor range! My favorite was the poor guy who's gun jammed at least once every group of five rounds. When we walked out of the test, I asked him what he was going to buy to replace it. He looked at me like I was crazy. I asked him if he was going to carry that thing and he said, yep.

I wonder if he was in my class. I had a poor guy with a little .380 that held 5 rounds, but wouldn't feed the last. I had another guy with a little Mustang with similar problems, coupled with the fact that he bled all over everything during the test. I suggested that they both look for a more reliable carry weapon.

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Just curious -

If a shooter fails the proficiency test, does he/she have to take the entire course over again - or just repeat the firing portion?

The person has a certain amount of time to come back in and complete the firing portion. IIRC, it's 30 days, but don't quote me.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I wonder if he was in my class. I had a poor guy with a little .380 that held 5 rounds, but wouldn't feed the last. I had another guy with a little Mustang with similar problems, coupled with the fact that he bled all over everything during the test. I suggested that they both look for a more reliable carry weapon.
    I'm afraid to ask where he was bleeding from, was the slide eating his hand?

Scott_F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    CSTX
    My range instructors all had flack jackets on. Told me all I needed to know. I was glad to get out off there.

I see folks at the range all the time use their off hand to support their shooting wrist. I used to try to help, but some didn't want it. Now I just try to avoid the blood droplets.

ctxpta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Lockhart, Texas
    Was he blind or drying out from the booze or dope????
    Hell I passed with a 187 with my 9mm
    Which is better than I shot with my 357mag at the Bulls-eye match

I would not brag about a 187! Nor would I want to remember that score if I ever had to repeat it in court defending myself for the accidental shooting of a third person. A 187 means you could COMPLETELY miss the target 12 times and still pass. This mind you was from a target standing still NOT shooting back. Please get to the range and practice. We have new shooters NEVER handled a gun score better than 225 on a regular basis with 20 minutes of one on one orientation.

ctxpta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Lockhart, Texas
    We have a few fail from time to time. Most are using an unfamiliar firearm. SMALLER is NOT always better. Guys when you give your wife or girlfriend a Kel-Tec or Ruger LCP to try to qualify with because YOU thinks its the size gun they should shot you are part of the problem!!! I can't remember someone failing a second time with a little instructoin. I know as an Instructor we WISH we could get that little instruction BEFORE the class and BEFORE the shooting. Again, husbands and boyfriends aren't the best to teach your significant other.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    My range instructors all had flack jackets on. Told me all I needed to know. I was glad to get out off there.

Will a flak jacket stop a pistol round? just curuous. I thought they were more for shrapnel.

As to giving the g/f instruction. I feel terrible at it. I can shoot pretty decently, but have never had any real training. I know what feels right. I know how my hands should hold the gun. I just feel like an idiot trying to teach her how to shoot it.

djspump2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    That's why you instruct her in the triangle shooting stance from behind. How many '80s movies with Burt Reynolds in them has that very scene?

Anyway, you would have to be certifiably blind and using a freaking golden retriever to guide you around if you could not pass the shooting portion of the chl test.

Perhaps the reason behind the shooting portion being so childishly easy is that carrying a gun is a God-given right that our fore-fathers fought and died for. I think a driving test should be a lot harder than a chl test since 40,000 people die each year in auto accidents and only about 12,000 die each year by murder (the other 17,000 are suicides). Just googling for that number gave me some peace to see how many LEOs responded by saying that they had never arrested a gun.

Guess I needed something to cheer me up. Yesterday I found out that my old boss at the research lab (ex-nuke officer on a sub) voted for Obama. I literally felt like my world had caved in a little. He wrote my best letter of rec and the one I felt helped the board select me for commissioning. Man, what is this world coming to when a guy like that will fall for the same liberal propaganda that all of these hippies here in Austin love?

Sorry, got off topic - just needed to get that off my chest.

Fisherman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    I really don't agree with having to take a class to carry.

That said, I have noticed one or two in classes that had a person or two that it appeared it might be questionable if they would make it. They basically appeared to need a little additional help.

AmirFazadh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Texas
    The one thing that bugs me is having to pony up $140 to the state to exercise my right. If it is indeed a right, and not a privilege, should it not be free? I can see a piddly $5 "processing fee", or something insignificant, but $140? And then there's that interminable wait...for $140, I expect at least a one-week turnaround, not a 4-5 month bendover!

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    The one thing that bugs me is having to pony up $140 to the state to exercise my right. If it is indeed a right, and not a privilege, should it not be free? I can see a piddly $5 "processing fee", or something insignificant, but $140? And then there's that interminable wait...for $140, I expect at least a one-week turnaround, not a 4-5 month bendover!

+1 gazillion

Top Bottom