• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benogil

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Authorities are asking boaters to stay on the American side of Falcon Lake following a series of robberies by men armed with assault rifles.
    The Texas Department of Public Safety reported that three armed robberies of boaters have taken place since April 30th on the lake.
    The area is popular destination for sports fisherman.
    Two of the three robberies involved Americans citizens who had passed international water markers and crossed into the Mexican side of the lake.
    One of the incidents occurred in the American side of the lake.
    Most of the incidents occurred in the Old Guerrero area, but it’s possible that other areas are a concern as well.
    Boaters are asked to stay away from fishing vessels used by Mexican fishermen.
    DPS officials said the robbery suspects are believed to be members of a drug trafficking organization or members of an enforcer group linked to a drug trafficking organization.
    The men are heavily armed and using AK-47s or AR-15 rifles to threaten their victims.
    They appear to be using local Mexican fishermen to operate the boats to get close to American fishermen:

• On April 30, five people in two different boats were fishing on Falcon Lake and went to the Old Guerrero area, where they were taking photos of the old church. While they were there, a boat with four heavily tattooed men approached the two boats quickly. The men identified themselves as “Federales,” but they were not wearing uniforms. The men boarded the boats, demanded cash and asked “where are the drugs?” The fishermen told the men that they had no drugs and were just fishing and taking photos. They ended up giving the men $200 cash and left the area. The pirates followed the two boats, but the U.S. boats were able to outrun them and the men stopped following once the two boats entered U.S. waters.
    • On May 6, three fishermen were about a quarter of a mile from Marker 14 on the north side of Salado Island on top of the ruins. As they were fishing, a boat with two men quickly approached and pointed AR-15s at the fishermen. One of the men boarded the boat and searched it, looking for drugs, cash and guns. During the incident, he chambered a round in the rifle and told the fishermen that he would shoot them if they did not give him money. The fishermen took money out of their wallets and gave it to them.
    • On May 16, law enforcement officers were told that some boaters were approached by a boat with five armed men on it. Investigators have not been able to locate the boaters to determine whether any cash was taken. This incident occurred on the United States side of the lake near Marker 7.
    To maximize safety, boaters should stay in the American waters on Falcon Lake and leave the following information with family and friends:

• Time and place of departure
    • Destination and direction of travel
    • Boater cell phone number, if available
    • Names of passengers and what they’re wearing
    • Description of the boater’s vehicle and boat
    • Boat and vehicle license numbers
    Anyone who is involved in an incident on Falcon Lake should dial 911 and report it to the Zapata County Sheriff’s Office.
    The U.S. State Department website lists several travel alerts related to violence in Mexico.
    Travelers should always check that website for the most up-to-date information related to security issues in Mexico.
    DK Firearms

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Are you not allowed to defend yourself on water as on land? I ask because I really don't know, not trying to sound like a a**.

Getting into a firefight in the middle of a lake is a losing situation for everyone. Your best bet is to avoid the situation all together.

As far as boating with a firearm, I'd imagine the watercraft might be held as your place of residence, but I don't think the law stipulates that specifically. If it doesn't then that would be something worth amending on the legislation.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I'm surprised no one mentioned dynamite. I've seen that used for fishing and I suspect it would also be a deterrent to pirates.

Let's face it, Mexico is completely out of control right now. The US government (such as it is) is not on your side. Best to stay out of a war you can't win.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Dude - you need to understand - you cross over into Mexico, you HAVE no rights as you know 'em - especially with regards to firearms!!!!
    \

I was referring to incidence on the US side only. I understand the implications of crossing over the border. I thought I read in that article that there may have been incidences on the US side. Either way I really just wasn't sure if there was some difference in self defense on water as oppose to on land.

GlockontheRocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    McAllen, TX
    Not to rain on the parade, but seriously, 3 or more guys armed with AK's or AR's. Better be quick and accurate with multiple targets. That area is /has a lot of ranch land. It is sad that even on a family outing that kind of BS is happening.

bvillars

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    We were never robbed but while canoeing on the Devils River we were under fire. We saw a couple of young men on the bluffs and they shot several rounds near us. We only had a couple of pistols with us so we ducked low and paddled fast. Fought on two continents and I had to run away on mine.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    We know that we can't and won't nor allowed to, but.....A nice Browning 1919A4 mounted fore and aft on a suitable boat and in no time the thieving, robbing, slimy scumballs afloat on Falcon lake would become mere history like Santa Anna's big powerful Army did at San Jacinto in 1836 ! RPGs anybody ? Helocopter Gunships ? Remember Goliad, Remember the Alamo !

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Sorry guys - but this is a situation where you stay aware, evade and avoid, and THEN worry about what you're packing ONLY as a last resort.
    I agree, that is the sane thing to do.

...but it's nice fantasizing about going out there, basically baiting the pirates, and then taking them out. Law enforcement can't deal with them. We all know with the current commander in chief that the military will never be sent to deal with them. So how does one take care of the problem then? Just be good, meek citizens and hide from the bad guys?

Top Bottom