Join TexasGunTalk

Famed Stanford Prison experiment, Fake

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by grasshopperglock, Jun 14, 2018.

1. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Spooky

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen
    http://fromthetrenchesworldreport.c...lies-and-fakery-shocking-expose-claims/228042

(Original source, Daily Mail)

One of the most famous and influential psychology studies of all time was based on lies and fakery, a new exposé reveals.

The Stanford prison experiment purported to show we are all naturally inclined to abuse positions of power – after volunteers randomly assigned to act as prison guards began abusing volunteer inmates in a mock prison.

But now a report from author and scientist Dr Ben Blum claims the research was all a sham. It points to recordings found in archives at Stanford University which show the study’s author Professor Philip Zimbardo encouraged guards to treat inmates poorly.

Also, one volunteer prisoner has now admitted to faking a fit of madness that the study reported was driven by the prison’s brutal conditions.

The revelations have sent scientists into uproar, with some calling for the experiment and its findings to be wiped from psychology textbooks worldwide.

2. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    SMH

3. pronstar

pronstar Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Wow, that’s actually a pretty big revelation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

seeker_two and Sam7sf like this.
  4. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce Well-Known

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    If true.

seeker_two and pronstar like this.
  5. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva Well-Known

Aug 26, 2016
    That is fascinating and a lesson to learn about giving credibility where it’s not due and the need for critique.

6. Fosty

Fosty Active Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Austin
    Lame

7. Sam7sf

Sam7sf Well-Known

Apr 13, 2018
    Tbd.
    Shocking claim.

8. busykngt

busykngt TGT Addict

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Sam, were you in on the study? Did you have anything to do with connecting up those electrodes to the “prisoners”?

Doesn’t the “scientific method” say something about the results of experimentation have to be repeatable and duplicative? Did no other ‘psychology types’ ever bother to repeat the experiment?

And last but not least, I’m reminded of the Ghostbuster’s movie (I think it was), where Bill Murray kept shocking the volunteer subject - even though he got the answer right. (Pretty funny.... but I’m easily entertained)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  9. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Was the study ever duplicated with the same results? If not, then that should have been taken with a grain of salt in the first place.

seeker_two likes this.
  10. pronstar

pronstar Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I don’t believe it was.
    But back then, folks did a lot of oddball sociology experiments.

There was even a Mouse Utopia experiment, which attempted to draw parallels between human and rodent behavior.

I blame it on LSD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

308nato, ZX9RCAM and toddnjoyce like this.