Join TexasGunTalk

Fanning

Discussion in 'Cowboy Action Shooting' started by Texas1911, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Self Appointed Board Chauvinist TGT Supporter

May 12, 2009
    that'll learn ya!

2. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple

Interesting, how they differentiate between a loaded gun and an unloaded gun.

I wouldn't.

3. Fisherman777

Fisherman777 Well-Known

Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Oh it did larn me fer sure! :D

4. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well now....an ol' man taught me some stuff many, many moons ago that made fanning into a different perspective. He even had some little things he taught me that made it interestingly accurate out to about 5-7 yards. Like he told me - "generally, you don't want to shoot this way, but if you're ever up against more than one man, you may not have a choice if you want to live!" He was a retired Sheriff of the old school (this was back in the late 60's, and he was in his 70's by then) who'd been involved in his share of "SHTF" stuff, including run-ins w/smugglers.
    As to the skin abrasions.....gloves will fix that. A good trigger job and proper technique will go a long way in diminishing the effect of the physical forces involved in the fanning tending to move the gun. IF you can find a range that'll let you do it (you'll likely have better luck w/doing it on private property), use an old sheet to allow you to better judge your impact points. Mark your desired impact points, stand back an start practicing. It CAN be done - but you gotta practice and know some of the "tricks" involved. None of 'em are all that special - most you'll pick up as you practice and evaluate what's happening.

5. Dcav

Dcav TGT Addict

Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Soon as I saw this post first thing I thought of was Bob Munden. Can't recall the name of the show, but there was a shooting program he used to make regular trick shots on, he used to quick draw, empty the six shooter by fanning, and reholstering it in a second or too. Did some card cutting and aerial shots too. Damn wish I could remember the show, the white guy wih the mustache was the host. I know he is still in the guiness book of world records for fastest shot. Anyone else remember him?

6. Fisherman777

Fisherman777 Well-Known

Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Bob Munden is something else for sure. He's also a heck of a gunsmith. Check out his website. http://www.bobmunden.com

7. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Isn't that the guy that would use an ole Henry 22 to shoot silhouette's of people into pieces of tin like a drawing? Before my time for sure but if that's him I've seen some film.

8. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    That would've been Adolph "Ad" Toepperwein. I honestly don't recall the gun he used, but if you google him, I'm sure you'll find a lot of info about him. One of his "Indian Head" sillouettes can be found at Nagle's gun shop - old man Nagle was a contemporary of Ad, as were my grandparents. I vaguely remember him from some of the gatherings I attended at his place w/my grandfather - those were some crusty ol' men that could shoot! His wife was likely on par w/him - but she passed before I was born. My grandmother had many fond memories of the two of them, though - said she was a lady, but she could put down a target in a heartbeat!

9. Dcav

Dcav TGT Addict

Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Man whatever the show was called I remember Bob Munden, and Byron Ferguson (the archery guy) doing those crazy trick shots. Nostalgia.

10. Dcav

Dcav TGT Addict

Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Good Bob Munden vid.

YouTube - Fastest Gun Ever - Bob Munden