Target Sports

Favor? Proofread, opinions and feedback on these how-tos. Or just discuss.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Too much emphasis on the fact that you get your neat little packets of grease for free at work. What about us poor schmucks that aren't so fortunate....can it be purchased from an auto parts store? Any particular brand, and do they make non-molybdenum brake grease (so we know what not to get)? ;)

I've recently been using a pretty similar method of cleaning my AR's, but was going to switch over to TW25 from Tetra grease (I used to run 'em dripping wet). I also lube lightly with Amsoil (full synthetic) motor oil. I find that a nice thin film on the bolt face and chamber make removing carbon deposits a lot easier. No issues with function or reliability thus far.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I think you can get the packets from parts stores. If not, next time your car is in at the mechanic for service, ask for 'em. A lot of brake pads come with the stuff, and almost nobody uses it because it's a bit small for a brake job and we get it by the tub anyway. Then again, you can get it by the tub, too and it even has a handy applicator brush on the bottom side of the lid. Every auto parts store I've been in over the past five years or so has had it on the shelf. You're looking for moly brake grease, though I know a lot of people who use wheel bearing grease and it's just fine. No idea how that would run in the cold, since it tends to run thicker.

There are two other brake lubes I know of, and they come in packets with brake pads (as well as separately). There's a purple lube called Ceramlub from Bendix and the old fashioned clear silicone grease. In my opinion, the silicone grease isn't that good for metal-on-metal, but it's tits for lubing anything that's coming in contact with rubber or plastic (including rubber on plastic :p).

If you run into me at the range, I usually have a packet or two in my range box to hand out. All you have to do is ask. I've given a few away to folks who obviously needed it.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I use Valvoline DuraBlend synthetic. It's good from -10 to 385 degrees. I think it cost me $4 or so, and beyond the time I baked my 1911 with it, I've used very little of it for my lube requirements. This one can will probably last 50 years or so. I use very little actual gun oil for anything anymore - maybe a drop on the gas rings on my AR, and on pivoting pins on new weapons, but that's about it.

Top Bottom