• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stag

Nov 5, 2008
    Spring, TX (HoustonMetro)
    Everynow and then I get to take my Dad out to the range. He takes his Colt .357 and I load up my pistols. I love shooting that wheelie. So it gets me thinking, I think I want to by a 44 Mag for some fun target shootin'

There is the classic Model 629 or the Colt Anaconda, Ruger Blackhawk, etc..
    Which brands make a solid 44 mag revolver? Something I can pass to my son.

Thanks for your insight.
    DK Firearms

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    my vote: Ruger Super Red Hawk, 7.5" barrel, SS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Duman44

Mar 28, 2008
    Houston
    Tough to beat the Ruger for strength or price. The S. Blackhawk is approx. 450 new, can find used for 3-350. Redhawks are 600 new 450 + used.
    The way Ruger offsets the cylinder lug indexes (cylinder walls are the weakest part of a revolver) make the guns some of the strongest out there. I run loads through my Redhawk on a steady basis that I would not use on a consistent basis in my N frame Smith.

dee

Well-Known
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Dad has a 4" S&W I liked it alot until I came into a Ruger superredhawk like the one above and I love it. I had a Dan Wesson for a lil while and didn't like it that much it was too big and I couldn't find a comfortable way to shoot it. I traded it for a 8" S&W in .41

baboon

TGT Addict
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I had a S&W 629 8 3/8 inch barrel. It had a recall on the cylinder & I sent it back to them. I noticed S&W was having a lot of recalls & I sold it. Said I would never buy another S&W product & stuck by it. Never really missed that gun, nor did a see the need for another .44 magnum.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I had a S&W 629 8 3/8 inch barrel. It had a recall on the cylinder & I sent it back to them. I noticed S&W was having a lot of recalls & I sold it. Said I would never buy another S&W product & stuck by it. Never really missed that gun, nor did a see the need for another .44 magnum.

How long ago was that?

Txhillbilly

Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I think I have owned just about every brand/model of 44 Magnum at one time, S&W 29,629-Colt Anaconda-Ruger Blackhawk,Super Redhawk-Dan Wesson-Taurus Raging Bull.
    All were great shooting guns,but I sold all but the Taurus Raging Bull,it just fits me and IMO is the best shooting 44 that I have ever owned. I do wish I'd kept the S&W 629,and the Dan Wesson though.They were also nice guns.

baboon

TGT Addict
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    How long ago was that?

I bought the gun when they first came out. Hell I still had my FFL then. Bought one for me & sold one to a buddy. He is thinking on selling his to fund another project.

IIRC I sold it once I got bit by the safari hunting bug. I took it to africa, but failed at getting a chance to use it. Had a great offer on it in africa, but I wasn't leaving it their.

Wedge

Mar 2, 2009
    Had 3 .44 all S&W. Hunters classic,Mountain Special and 629 in 6 inch barrel. I loved them all and had no issues.

crossfire

Apr 29, 2008
    Grab a .44 Dan Wesson while you can; preferably with a couple extra barrels of different lengths. CZ has declared the Dan Wesson revolver officially dead and will only supply parts until stock runs out. These revolvers have increased in price because of that and will continue to. Probably the most accurate DA .44 Mag revolver ever made and certainly one of the most durable.

Mark F

Aug 21, 2008
    I receintly added a 329 PD to my .44 Magnum collection. This one is by far the most brutal to shoot.

Attachments

• 44magnums.jpg
      44magnums.jpg
      36.9 KB · Views: 162
    • 329PD2.jpg
      329PD2.jpg
      50.2 KB · Views: 186

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    my vote: Ruger Super Red Hawk, 7.5" barrel, SS.

View attachment 1124

I'd like to give one of those a try. I got a Super Blackhawk in 1979 and shot that thing for years. I got the trigger down to 1 1/4 lbs, put a red ramp in the front sight, white outline rear sight and installed a ventilated rib on the barrel.

While I was working offshore one hitch, my soon to be ex sold all of my guns (lever actions, rifles, shotguns, pistols) and the gun cabinet that my dad built when I was 4 years old. I had my 1911A1 in the car so that was saved. He gave me a piece of 2x4 and a hammer so I could sit and bang nails into it and "help" build the cabinet. I thought I was helping anyway. That was in 1984 and I'm almost over it.

Anyway, Super Blackhawk or Redhawk. Good guns! Good caliber! :D

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    S&W M29, pinned 6 1/2" barrel, recessed chambers and no modern safety (read; lawyer approved) devices....the one on the top..

This is something to pass down through the generations....

DSC_3906-1.jpg

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I'm almost over it.

+1..I know the feeling. I lost a nice 17ft. Center Console bay boat due to a divorce. I've never really fished the way I use to since then. Right after my divorce, the second pistol that I bought was a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag. I traded to a buddy for a S&W 586 357mag, that I had sold him a few years back. He put Leupold pistol scope on that Blackhawk. He really loves his Ruger, as well.

Top Bottom