Join TexasGunTalk

Favorite legal carry fixed blade?

Discussion in 'Knives, Tactical Gear, and Survival' started by reddog, Sep 29, 2013.

1. reddog

reddog Member

Jul 19, 2013
    I did a search and didn't come up with anything specific so I thought I would ask what the rest of you were carrying? I currently carry a Buck 103 but it isn't meeting my needs and I'm shopping for something new. I prefer fixed blade to a folder and where I'm at everyone wears a fixed blade. So if you would take a minute and tell me what you've got and why you prefer it, I would appreciate hearing all of the opinions.

2. GlockOwner

GlockOwner TGT Addict

Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    What are your needs? We could make more educated suggestions with that info

3. reddog

reddog Member

Jul 19, 2013
    The 103 is a skinner, great for that purpose but until I started using it all the time I realized how much I use the point of a knife, the 103 really doesn't have a point. My needs?? 5" or so desired, thick blade, may have to use it for things a knife is not meant for, good edge holding, would prefer hi carbon but good stainless will work too. Otherwise, just think work knife, doesn't have to be fancy just a damn good tool.

4. Dman62

Dman62 Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Prosper, TX
    Swamp Rat Ratmandu is a great knife and has a 5 1/4" blade. Scrapyard 411 has a 4 1/2" blade and is much lighter. Both feel amazing in the hand and will hold an edge and take a lot of abuse. 2 of my favorite knives.

5. matefrio

matefrio ΔΕΞΑΙ TGT Supporter

6. Luigimoto

Luigimoto Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Tejas
    Bark River Gunny or Bravo. Nice thick piece of steel with very good cutting geometry.

7. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I carry a TOPS Cat Q 346 (its a new design, and I have one of the prototypes for testing) its very similar to a CAT 202 TOPS Knives.com

Unlike the 202 the handle is wrapped in Kevlar paracord, slightly different blade design. I like it a lot, not so keen on the belt attachment as its fixed so you cannot wear it anyway but vertical.

I think it is compliant with Texas law also....Tex law on fixed blade knife carry is very STRICT! In fact amazingly so for Texas. If you live outside the city limits, drive a truck then the Deputy Sheriff will most likely just ask where you got it and do they still have any in stock and was it on sale. But inside the city limits its a whole nother story.

8. Mexican_Hippie

Mexican_Hippie MODERATOR TGT Supporter

Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Becker BK14 Eskabar.

9. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
  10. Texasslinger

Texasslinger Active Member

May 18, 2012