• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    What is your favorite pistol grip type? I suffer from a mad compulsion to buy another set of pistol grips regularly, mostly highly figured Cocobolo and Desert Ironwood grips from Esmeralda for 1911's with magwells. About every other week I change from checkered to smooth or vice versa. What is your grip preference? Are you one of those lucky people who are satisfied with just one set of grips per gun or do you switch often?

Good shooting and be safe.
    LB

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My dilemma is looks versus function. I really like some of the more exotic looking grips out there as well as alumagrips or similar stuff like that. Though, with my P220 I've found that because of the smooth front strap and regular style grips that I can't get a solid hold on the gun and maintain a solid grip. Basically after every shot my hand grip is being slightly upset and adjusted due to the recoil. It is because of this, I have taken a liking to Hogue finger groove grips. Honestly, I'm not too fond of the looks of the Hogue finger groove grips, but I'll say this much they really help soak up recoil on my P220 and they sure give me a rock solid hold on the gun. From the functional aspect I like them, I just wish there was a better route I could go with more attractive grips.

Esmeralda grips are really nice.

As far as 1911's go, I really love VZ Grips. Mr Kimber has a set on one of his 1911's (do you still have it or did the Barrett "eat" that up ;)) and they are nice. Very slim and durable material.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Though, with my P220 I've found that because of the smooth front strap and regular style grips that I can't get a solid hold on the gun and maintain a solid grip. Basically after every shot my hand grip is being slightly upset and adjusted due to the recoil. It is because of this, I have taken a liking to Hogue finger groove grips.

That's why I like checkering on a 1911 front strap, to help hold my hand in place during recoil. If the hand changes position, then the next shot will be displaced by some amount. I find that shooting with checkered grips on my 1911's requires adding 1-2 clicks Up to maintain consistent impact point at 22 yds as compared to same gun/ammo with smooth grips. I can only deduce that the checkered grips let me hold onto the gun better. Don't tell anyone but there is a pair of Hogue finger groove grips in my grips box which have been modified and refinished. Every now and then I sneak them onto a gun. Always have to resight the gun because it changes my impact (lower even than checkered grips).

LB

N-frame Smith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    My dilemma is looks versus function. I really like some of the more exotic looking grips out there as well as alumagrips or similar stuff like that. Though, with my P220 I've found that because of the smooth front strap and regular style grips that I can't get a solid hold on the gun and maintain a solid grip. Basically after every shot my hand grip is being slightly upset and adjusted due to the recoil. It is because of this, I have taken a liking to Hogue finger groove grips. Honestly, I'm not too fond of the looks of the Hogue finger groove grips, but I'll say this much they really help soak up recoil on my P220 and they sure give me a rock solid hold on the gun. From the functional aspect I like them, I just wish there was a better route I could go with more attractive grips.

I got my favorite P220 grips from Hogue. They take the factory plastic grips with the lousy texture and checker them, I'm guessing with a laser. They feel great, much better than regular, and best of all they don't add any bulk which is important to me since I have small hands. They have them all the time on their online auctions, but I just emailed them and bought them.

On the other hand, I'm about to try Hogue's new Extreme Aluma grips which are actually smaller than the factory grips. I haven't seen a picture of the Hogue grips yet, but I'm assuming they're the same ones that Sig is putting on the Platinum Elite guns except that they offer other colors. I'll let you know how they are when I get them.

TRP533

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    What is your favorite pistol grip type? I suffer from a mad compulsion to buy another set of pistol grips regularly, mostly highly figured Cocobolo and Desert Ironwood grips from Esmeralda for 1911's with magwells. About every other week I change from checkered to smooth or vice versa. What is your grip preference? Are you one of those lucky people who are satisfied with just one set of grips per gun or do you switch often?

LB

I have the same sickness, I have a box full of grips for my 1911 that didn't make the cut. Its wierd but I always go back to the original grips that came on my Springer. They are just plywood (dymondwood or whatever you want to call it) that are stained to look like coccobolo. They just feel right and look good. Recently though I put on some black G10s and they really make a difference. I can dip my hand in water and grap my pistol and still maintain a good grip. Plus, they are almost indestructable. The ones in my box at home are from Ahrends, Hogue, VZ, Carbon Creations, etc. One of these days I'll try selling them to recoup some of my money (probably enough to buy another pistol).

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    N-frame Smith, I'd definitely be curious to see how those Hogue aluminum grips turn out. I've been looking into those after seeing them mentioned on the Sig forums. I've also thought about having a gunsmith add checkering to the front strap or adding "skateboard" tape, though I'd prefer something permanent. I think I'll just have to have one set of nice grips and the Hogues for getting the job done on the range. I love the way those things just soak up the recoil.

charlie-6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    central texas
    I collect grips also have several Esmeralda grips for 1911, just purshase some hogue for my s-w n frame. guess i get tired useing the same grip so another pair goes on. got to keep grip makers working don't want these folks closeing doors. :)

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    Once I find some I like I tend to leave them on. Personally I prefer rubber grips, though I'm tempted to try some Alumagrips on my carry pistol.

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have tried many grips on 1911's. I'm currently waiting on some gunner grips for my full size. I have a set on my officer's acp and they are sex in the hands for grippiness. Some don't like how sharp they are, but I have hard rough hands that are often slick with sweat, or covered in oil or some such nonesense. Never have to worry about grip. Right now on my full size I have a set of pachmyer with the finger groove things. They are nice, but they get slick with sweat after a hard day of dealing death to paper, and in the middle of the summer the finger groove part tends to be alittle weak and moves too much for my taste. Gunner grips are it for me now. They'll be on every 1911 I ever own. YMMV.

tex45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    The only gun I have left the original grips on is my stainless Wilson Professional. Otherwise I have tried many brands, styles and materials. One of the most comfortable I ever hadon a gun was a pairof wraparounds with a very sticky texture. I found them used in a box at my local gunstore. There was a 1/2" hole in each side, made for a medallion, that was missing. I went to the sewing supply store with my wife and found two buttons that I could make work in place of the medallions. I had them on a pre loaded stainless Springfield Champion.
    HPIM0269.jpg

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I've gone through 2 sets other than the OEM's. Tried some Wilson and "Wilson" on a Kimber just didn't look right, so I sold those before they became lost in a drawer somewhere.

Esmeralda's have stayed on, but I've really been itching for a different look, and she has 2 pair available now that look sweet. But I'm restraining myself. :D One are Amboyna Burl and also some Black and White Ebony.

2348376852_98556cf76c_o.png

I had the front strap checkered while it was at Kimber last month and discovered I like it more than I thought. It makes it easier to draw quicker as I feel I don't have to get my hand all the way around the grip before pulling it, I can get 2-3 fingers on the front strap and start pulling with my fingers and draw at the same time, pulling it right into my hand firmly It looks better too. :D Then I just added the Ed Brown SS Snakeskin MSH which is much more comfortable that the OEM 15-20lpi (or whatever it is) plastic MSH checkering. And of course, it looks much better also. :D

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Nice looking grips, JK. Be careful or you will wind up with a box full of Esmeralda's grips. Don't ask me how I know that.

Top Bottom