• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Bumping this thread. How is the experimenting going?

I tried my hand at a 321 method yesterday with some pretty good results on some baby backs. Didn't get a end result picture unfortunately as I was a bit busy cutting and serving. No complaints except my 6 year old niece, but she likes Mac n Cheese as her favorite meal so I dismissed her opinion.

Top rack of veggies was for some smoked salsa I made. I didn't care for it much, but it was devoured by everyone else.

View attachment 228479

Trey, what's going on with those veggies and peppers on the top shelf?
    Venture Surplus ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I've varied temps a little bit with direct smoke, no wrapping. Takes about 5.5 hours at 220 to get to internal temps around 195. They're coming out pretty good but I'm not 100% happy with them. I might try the 2-2-1 method I've been reading about.

The bacon wrapped pork loins I've done have been outstanding.

Still haven't done a brisket yet.

Wish I had thought about using bacon on those really lean briskets we got from my brother's bull. The flavor was good, but they were not anywhere as moist as they should have been. Bacon might have helped.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Trey-G 20,

I agree 100% on "smoked salsa" & feel the same about "Blackened Vegetables".
    (IMO, both things are an answer to questions that nobody should have asked.)

yours, satx

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    You know I’ve done the 3-2-1 method about 3 times but I’ve decided I like them with no wrap. I just let ‘em ride for 5 to 7 hours until they pass the “bend” test. I check temps (usually between 190 & 210) but on ribs I go by the bend test. My peeps can’t tell the difference and it so much easier than wrapping & unwrapping, ect.

That pic of your pit full is beautiful

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    With briskets or ribs, I think keeping it simple is the best approach to cooking them.

My rub is simple and I use the same rub on ribs, that I use on briskets. Salt, black pepper, garlic powder, cayenne powder, and brown sugar.

Personally, I found with my smoker, that I do get better results with the end product if I smoke uncovered for the first couple of hours, then pull the meat off and wrap it in foil, then put it back on the smoker. It seems that I get a little lighter bark on the outside, and the smoke flavor isn't overpowering. I also like using pecan wood for smoking as well.

I have eaten many a brisket cooked differently than I do mine, and I still liked them. Personal preferences in cooking styles and different smokers produce different results. I see nothing wrong with that.

mnpshooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    Centex
    Dr Pepper smoked baby backs.
    7A3F045F-C116-48FF-BFC9-70AEB4DCE6A5.jpeg

Top Bottom