• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Anyone's particular favorite rifle is much like asking about a favorite car or woman. Tastes and flavors vary greatly. As rifles go, what do you like and why? Depends on the use, style, caliber, new or older. Does a particular time in history or event catch your fancy? A particular type or caliber may be what drives you.
    These are some of the things I discuss with students in my firearms collecting courses. Not so much about which is better but what is the attraction.
    I am a firearms historian so I lean toward those pieces that made history and their development. Successes and failures of some designs.
    Personally I have a love affair with big bore guns of the 19th Century. Both muzzle-loading and cartridge guns. Names like Sharps, Remington, Borchardt, Ballard, Hepburn, and Springfield get my attention.I do not do much with foreign pieces (I have a few) and some of them are interesting. US Guns are my passion.
    One that immediately comes to my mind is my Remington Rolling Block, Model One, heavy barrel (30 inch) in .45-125. It is fitted with a Hepburn style butt stock and a 21 inch 4X Malcolm telescope. Serial Number 13, made in 1875. It is a real treat to shoot. When time permits, I'll talk about others too..... and pictures.n
    Oh! My least favorite gun to shoot but it sure is pretty is my side by side .577 Nitro. It really sucks and hurts too much to go into. John
    Gun Zone Deals

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Flq1gTyh.jpg

Attachments

• Flq1gTyh.jpg
      Flq1gTyh.jpg
      62.8 KB · Views: 545

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My go to is a modern tactical style bolt action hands down. Long range shooting is my current passion.

I like all types of rifles and history but they just don't grab me like a bolt gun.

I would like to know more about your firearms collecting courses though. Is this a history class or a course to teach people to collect? I know they are tied together but what is the main goal?

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I mostly enjoy military long guns.......all of them....and military revolvers and pistols......

Yes, more about your courses, please....

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Interesting question. Is it the first rifle I personally ever purchased, Enfield Ishapore 7.62, or a modern AR? One is sentimental, the other is easy to use and practical. Much like the number of licks in a Tootsie Pop, we’ll never actually know.

ekim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2018
    ky
    I like the single shot rolling / falling block guns my self for rifles and the space gun type / looking pistols.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    1898 U.S. Krag infantry rifle.

Why? Have a seat.
    It is an elegant weapon.
    Made when craftsmanship was the order of the day. Long. Lean. It balances perfectly.
    Excellent sights on the 1902 version.
    With correct ammunition it is dead accurate.
    Cycling the action is sex. Not clanky and jerky. It operates smooth as silk.
    Historically it bridges the gap between blackpowder and smokeless.
    Last of the military long rifles.
    A Krag in nice condition is a joy to shoot. Recoil is modest. Nothing like the brutal 1903 30-06.

Danielsuzuki

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2019
    Houston, Texas
    The Krag is a nice weapon, my favorite is the Ar-10 pattern rifle in 308 recently. I don’t have a favorite historical piece, there’s so many! I always loved the Garand though... guess I’m a semi auto guy at heart.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    05DAA5C0-61D8-4D42-B5CD-66B9FD157E88.jpeg

Hands down my favorite is this Marlin 30-30 that my dad left me.

He bought it in 1972 as a work carbine with more punch than the M-2 he was issued when with the Alabama Highway Patrol.

I have taken deer with it every year since he passed.

Attachments

• 05DAA5C0-61D8-4D42-B5CD-66B9FD157E88.jpeg
      05DAA5C0-61D8-4D42-B5CD-66B9FD157E88.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 575

SofAustin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Winchester Model 94. Inherited from my dad who probably acquired it in the '40s. Pristine condition. Shot many deer with it when I was a kid. Recently took out a few hogs using it. Serial number indicates it was mfg early 1922. I like myother rifles, AR, etc...but nothing really has the gravitas of my 30-30.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Winchester Model 94. Inherited from my dad who probably acquired it in the '40s. Pristine condition. Shot many deer with it when I was a kid. Recently took out a few hogs using it. Serial number indicates it was mfg early 1922. I like myother rifles, AR, etc...but nothing really has the gravitas of my 30-30.

Pics?

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    1898 U.S. Krag infantry rifle.

Why? Have a seat.
    It is an elegant weapon.
    Made when craftsmanship was the order of the day. Long. Lean. It balances perfectly.
    Excellent sights on the 1902 version.
    With correct ammunition it is dead accurate.
    Cycling the action is sex. Not clanky and jerky. It operates smooth as silk.
    Historically it bridges the gap between blackpowder and smokeless.
    Last of the military long rifles.
    A Krag in nice condition is a joy to shoot. Recoil is modest. Nothing like the brutal 1903 30-06.
    The absolute sweetest bolt action I've ever laid my hands upon is the Krag. I've got a lightly sporterized carbine that I picked up at a pawn shop in Dubuque, IA some twenty years ago, and I've never known any bolt action to slide as silky-smooth as the Krag. If you've never worked one before, you really must try.

Aside from the Krag, my favorite bolt rifle is always going to be a sporterized Swedish Mauser--still in 6.5x55, of course.

As for my favorite semi-auto rifle, I'm stuck on the LWRC Six-8 (6.8SPC).

Top Bottom