Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Just curious, but what kind of magnification do you like on your everyday/deer rifle?

I do like higher maginification, but it seems the weight adds up pretty quickly.
    It seems 3-9 seems to be the most poppular. . . I'm not sure why. I like mine, but the Nikon I have is pretty bulky. I put it on my AR, and I think I'll look for something in a 2-7, just to get the weight a little lower (or heck, a zero power red dot) and stick the 3-9 on my 7mm rem mag. I've got a cheap 6-24, but that thing is just large, and just might end up on . .. . . something else.

Just wanted your thoughts.

(I'm trying to get a poll working, if it doen't, its operator error.)

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Depends on the rifle.
    Some of my rifles wear aperture sights, and indeed, for some of them, mainification IS for losers who can't see.
    Have a couple of short range (50-150 yards) lever guns that wear 1-4s, a couple of bolt guns that are 200 yard rifles that sport 2-7s, and my main bolt action hunting rifles have 3-9s mounted on them. I have ONE .22/250 that has a 4-12.
    For a hunting rifle, if you can't see it/hit it with a 9x magnification, you are either:
    1. Way too far away
    2. An incredibly poor shot.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Deer rifle? I don't see the need for anything bigger than a 3-9. Even that might be overkill, like if you mount it on a .30-30.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    My 270 has always had a Tasco POS on it forever!
    My badass .17HMR Marlin has a 4-12X44 Simmions on it. What a awsome combo!!
    I have never been big on optics untill I put this .17 together. This gun is amazing for a rimfire. At 100 yard I can empty a 7 round mag on a quarter.
    My 270 is getting the same scope because " I like it".
    I think the better the scope, the better everything becomes.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    a [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Schmidt Bender PMII 12-50x56 P P3 Mildot 1/4 MOA MT CW FFP[/FONT] SchmidtBender-PMII-12-50x56-P-P3-Mildot-14-MOA-MT-CW-FFP.jpg
    SB_P3MD.jpg
    Yeah baby!! reach out and touch someone!! 19+, the more the better!!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    My 270 has always had a Tasco POS on it forever!
    My badass .17HMR Marlin has a 4-12X44 Simmions on it. What a awsome combo!!
    I have never been big on optics untill I put this .17 together. This gun is amazing for a rimfire. At 100 yard I can empty a 7 round mag on a quarter.
    My 270 is getting the same scope because " I like it".
    I think the better the scope, the better everything becomes.

Better scopes definitely make a huge difference. But for most deer hunting situations you don't need 12X.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I like plenty of magnification on my deer scopes(and clarity) because I really like being able to identify the deer I am shooting at before I pull the trigger. Maybe my eyes suck but I have shot deer open sights thinking they are shooters just to get up to them to find out they were younger than I thought. That being said I put my Red dot with 2x magnifier on deer rifles and it makes a gun that you can get up quick and take the shot. Awesome idea for hog hunting and deer rifles are usually really light before you put a big ole scope on them. Just a thought.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I used to really dislike using a scope, but my eyes are a whole lot worse now than they used to be. A scope is mandatory for me now, but I like to use as little magnification as possible. 2-4x is good enough. Of course I pretty much never shoot past 300 yards...

Scotsman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    Texas
    My "everyday rifle" is a 16" AR. I use it for hog hunting, defense etc.
    On it I have no magnification, just a red dot. If I know I'm going to be in open terrain and making a shot out to 200-300 yards I put a 4x on it.
    On my deer rifle (270 bolt Tikka) I use a 3x9 and leave it on 3 till I'm ready to make a shot so I have a good field of view.

Top Bottom