• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    OnStar module came out of my G8 the second it hit my garage, and on the shelf it went. If you really want an idea of what it's all about, go read the terms and conditions for OnStar. People blindly agree to that mess too. OnStar Terms and Conditions Scary.
    Gun Zone Deals

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the FBI wants to use the webcam in my laptop the only they're going to see is darkness....because my laptop is folded up in its box in the closet. The only time I really use it is when I'm traveling...and I haven't done any for quite some time. My desktop does NOT have any cameras associated with it. The LG Flatron flat-screen monitor I use doesn't have a camera in it. As for tracking my car, it's a 96 T-bird so I don't think there's much on it that they can use for tracking, other than if they physically come and plug into any of the engine monitoring sensors, like the smog check place does. 95% of the time my cell phone is sitting on the counter so if its camera is used, the only thing visible is the ceiling. I live alone so they won't hear much, either, except if I happen to have the television on.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    OnStar module came out of my G8 the second it hit my garage, and on the shelf it went. If you really want an idea of what it's all about, go read the terms and conditions for OnStar. People blindly agree to that mess too. OnStar Terms and Conditions Scary.
    Where was the OnStar module in the G8? And, why keep it? I'd throw that crap away.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    As I understand it, essentially, a faraday cage is a foil lined box that may have something like chicken wire also around lining it (but I can't remember what that layer is designed to prevent). The main thing with lining it with foil is all edges need to be covered (cracks around your door for example).

Yes, I was talking about leaving your onstar device in the vehicle. I had a chevy cobalt with an onstar system in it that didn't have a separate antenna. While GPS antennas do help the gps get a more accurate signal, I think they can still operate without them. At least the little bit of reading I just did about them was pointing me in that direction.

nonattrit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Fort Hood Area
    Be careful what some of you are looking at, or possibly buying, as a stop-gap passive measure. While the concept of a faraday cage is sound there are allot of caveats:

"The effectiveness of a faraday enclosure's shielding varies depending on the cage's construction. Variations in the conductivity of different metals, such as copper or aluminum, affect the cage's function. The size of the holes in the screen or mesh also changes the cage's capabilities and can be adjusted depending on the frequency and wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation you want to exclude from the interior of the cage."

Bottom line: every faraday "cage" has specific thresholds of value. In our modern society there may be some value in a RFID shield (against a known threat). However, until there's a broad spectrum material available as a deterrent, the true professional will go higher or lower than known frequency blocking and still get what they want. They probably already have it anyway...do you really think all of you registering and posting on this web site isn't a portal to who you are? NSA doesn't have sh@# on Microsoft or Google...oh, and don’t think Apple isn't selling your soul either.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Be careful what some of you are looking at, or possibly buying, as a stop-gap passive measure. While the concept of a faraday cage is sound there are allot of caveats:

"The effectiveness of a faraday enclosure's shielding varies depending on the cage's construction. Variations in the conductivity of different metals, such as copper or aluminum, affect the cage's function. The size of the holes in the screen or mesh also changes the cage's capabilities and can be adjusted depending on the frequency and wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation you want to exclude from the interior of the cage."

Bottom line: every faraday "cage" has specific thresholds of value. In our modern society there may be some value in a RFID shield (against a known threat). However, until there's a broad spectrum material available as a deterrent, the true professional will go higher or lower than known frequency blocking and still get what they want. They probably already have it anyway...do you really think all of you registering and posting on this web site isn't a portal to who you are? NSA doesn't have sh@# on Microsoft or Google...oh, and don’t think Apple isn't selling your soul either.

Of course i know its a risk to even be online. Im exercising my 1st and 2nd amendment rights. We cant be afraid then we will be silenced.

I think most here are concerned about video/audio monitoring and location tracking and rightfully so.

Top Bottom