• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As I understand it, essentially, a faraday cage is a foil lined box that may have something like chicken wire also around lining it (but I can't remember what that layer is designed to prevent). The main thing with lining it with foil is all edges need to be covered (cracks around your door for example).

Yes, I was talking about leaving your onstar device in the vehicle. I had a chevy cobalt with an onstar system in it that didn't have a separate antenna. While GPS antennas do help the gps get a more accurate signal, I think they can still operate without them. At least the little bit of reading I just did about them was pointing me in that direction.

An inexpensive way to construct a Faraday cage is to take some copper screen, make a box or enclosure around the device you want to shield, making sure to seal all edges with solder or weld and then ground it. That's basically what we did at a former job when we needed an R.F. cage to test certain modules that needed to be shielded from outside R.F. interference AND to prevent the module from affecting surrounding electronics. The "cage" worked very well because as long as the door was open, we could listen to our FM radio. Once the door was closed, no radio.

Finding a ground is relatively easy without having to drive a copper rod 4' to 6' or more into the earth. Your metal cold water pipes will work as a ground. A good substitute is the electrical ground at your circuit breaker box.
    Guns International

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    There's not much the guys at the FBI can do to see through black electrical tape! I also turn my DSL modem off at night.

Flash

Last edited:

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Where was the OnStar module in the G8? And, why keep it? I'd throw that crap away.
    Put it back in when I traded in the car. Some people like that stuff.

Dang, I didnt activate my OnStar on my 2013 Chevy Silverado. Anyone know where the friggin module is on it? Activated or not I bet the bastards can still track it.
    It's in the dash, behind the center stack/radio area. Correct, the vehicle will still be open to connections from OnStar, without your knowledge. They will continue to periodically retrieve telemetry and location data from your vehicle, especially if it's still covered by a GM warranty or a GMAC financing plan.

So if I remove the module they can still track it? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?>
    No, physically removing the module eliminates the possibility that OnStar can track the vehicle. Removing the module will often have side effects. For instance, in the G8 the OnStar module provided the Bluetooth phone integration. I didn't miss that either. ;)

OnStar is not groundbreaking technology. It's a Verizon Wireless cellular device connected to a computer that sits on the vehicle's CAN bus (network). OnStar enables complete remote access and control of the vehicle, and the technical capabilities far exceed what they market and advertise. How much of that capability they actually make use of is largely unknown, but anything you can do by plugging a computer directly into the vehicle you can do remotely. Theoretically, it's actually possible to do very nefarious things - like lock up the brakes, go wide open throttle, deploy the airbags, etc. on command. I highly doubt they've added that into their remote control software though - HUGE lawsuit, because someone would try it. But the remote slowdown feature? One of the very easily set parameters is allowed vehicle top speed. Another one is max allowed engine torque.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    It's been claimed that different people who "knew too much" and were about to speak out against the government, were silenced by car accidents using this exact technology. I can't remember his name, but there was recently an editor for the rolling stone who's car just randomly crashed and went up in flames a day or two before he was supposed to be releasing some major info on the government. He even told his family and friends ahead of time that thing's were off and he felt like he was being followed. The claim is that one of the three letter agencies tapped into his cars computer system and set it off while he was driving. I doubt this would ever happen to anyone on this forum, but it's scary knowing the technology and ability is out there.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    It's been claimed that different people who "knew too much" and were about to speak out against the government, were silenced by car accidents using this exact technology. I can't remember his name, but there was recently an editor for the rolling stone who's car just randomly crashed and went up in flames a day or two before he was supposed to be releasing some major info on the government. He even told his family and friends ahead of time that thing's were off and he felt like he was being followed. The claim is that one of the three letter agencies tapped into his cars computer system and set it off while he was driving. I doubt this would ever happen to anyone on this forum, but it's scary knowing the technology and ability is out there.

You are thinking of Michael Hastings. Although there was probably more than just an Onstar "mishap" with him. Probably some explosives in his car considering it, in the words of a witness, "jackknifed" into pieces while just going down the road. Also some people that lived in a house abutting the highway reported hearing an explosion. That and the engine was found 50+ yds away at a right angle to the direction of travel of the car. Also the tree he supposedly hit didn't have a scratch on it.

nonattrit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Fort Hood Area
    Of course i know its a risk to even be online. Im exercising my 1st and 2nd amendment rights. We cant be afraid then we will be silenced.

I think most here are concerned about video/audio monitoring and location tracking and rightfully so.

Roger, I got that BC. I'm not condoning living under a rock with a faraday helmet and a soup can and string for commo. What I was suggesting is "let the buyer beware" when it comes to countering electronic intrusion. There are some serious scams out there.
    I do rant from time to time, so apologies in advance for being pessimistic. However, a work-around for those worried about being spied on via web cam? Use a standalone PC and pre-record your video data will cut off some intrusion. Encrypt your data. Make them work for it! Use a hardware firewall instead of that cheesy software imbedded in that discount wireless router you bought. Use throw-away cell phones instead if that contract phone. Also, if you really want to stick it to the man - take a Cyber forensics course and get educated on your 4th Amendment Rights, digital search warrants, and certain Title 10 rights as well. At the end of the day, education will set you free or at least give you defensive tools like the litany of information that’s shared in this forum concerning your rights to bear arms.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    RFID credit cards, toll tags, phones, computers, vehicle systems, all track and store information somewhere. It is just whether or not anyone wants to look at it. Most of it sits idle unless there is a reason to review it. It still takes a need to review the information to put it all together. Too much information for the few individuals that have access to it.
    England has cameras everywhere, but who has time to review that much video footage?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Roger, I got that BC. I'm not condoning living under a rock with a faraday helmet and a soup can and string for commo. What I was suggesting is "let the buyer beware" when it comes to countering electronic intrusion. There are some serious scams out there.
    I do rant from time to time, so apologies in advance for being pessimistic. However, a work-around for those worried about being spied on via web cam? Use a standalone PC and pre-record your video data will cut off some intrusion. Encrypt your data. Make them work for it! Use a hardware firewall instead of that cheesy software imbedded in that discount wireless router you bought. Use throw-away cell phones instead if that contract phone. Also, if you really want to stick it to the man - take a Cyber forensics course and get educated on your 4th Amendment Rights, digital search warrants, and certain Title 10 rights as well. At the end of the day, education will set you free or at least give you defensive tools like the litany of information that’s shared in this forum concerning your rights to bear arms.

This reminds me. I need to change my passwords more frequently.

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    RFID credit cards, toll tags, phones, computers, vehicle systems, all track and store information somewhere. It is just whether or not anyone wants to look at it. Most of it sits idle unless there is a reason to review it. It still takes a need to review the information to put it all together. Too much information for the few individuals that have access to it.
    England has cameras everywhere, but who has time to review that much video footage?
    nsa have shown NO need, we want to is the excuse they use.

Top Bottom