• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    FBI can spy through your webcam without triggering the indicator light | Mail Online

Oh, well this crap just changes everything for me. I always knew they could spy using your webcam, but I always thought that your light would at least come on from it being tied in with the camera. I don't really know why but this new info just creeps me out to the point that I just got done placing electrical tape over my webcam. Fuuuuuck dat!
    ARJ Defense ad

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ive had tape over mine for a couple years. I need to figure out how to physically disconnect the mic. I shut off my phone too if i want to talk to someome in person in private.

The CIA had drones the size of dragonflies in the 1970s. Imagine what they have now. That june bug you just chased out of the house may have been doing recon!

I suppose thats why the N.SA loves all this open electronic data. It comes to them as they tap the lines at just a few locations. Efficient spying. I mean GO AMERICA! F*CK YEAH!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The FBI team use the same technique as ratters, by infecting the computer with a malicious software – ‘malware – through phishing.By sending an email with a link, which could be to a website, an image or a video, the user is tricked into downloading a small piece of software onto their machine.
    Once installed, the malware allows the FBI to take control of the computer and the webcam at any time
    Even with a video tapping warrant, wouldn't the installation of malware on someone's computer be illegal?

zen1300

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2013
    This is not limited to FBI. Hackers have been doing this for years. It requires an exploit on the system that can then be used to control aspects. Fun and scary at the same time.

Virus protection can help, but it only detects known viruses. Much effort goes into created fully-undetectable (FUD) versions.

It comes down to safe computing - not opening bad attachments, clicking on bad links, keeping system patched, etc. And that only reduces the risk, it does not eliminate it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    And OnStar can listen to whatever happens inside your car.

And schools have been known to watch kids at home through their webcams on school-issued laptops.

And, and, and...it never ends.

I have one computer with a built-in webcam. It's off. When it's on, a piece of tape goes over the lens. If I had a kid, there's no way in the world I'd let them use a laptop with a built-in webcam.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    And OnStar can listen to whatever happens inside your car.

And schools have been known to watch kids at home through their webcams on school-issued laptops.

And, and, and...it never ends.

I have one computer with a built-in webcam. It's off. When it's on, a piece of tape goes over the lens. If I had a kid, there's no way in the world I'd let them use a laptop with a built-in webcam.

I dont do On Star. My car is older and not equipped for that.

I dont do public school so no gov laptops coming home.

I certainly get your point though, like with the new Xbox One. Invasion of privacy is getting tougher.

Eventually there will be such a divide where one class is entirely switched on and connected and another class just exists to serve them. Thats until the robots.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I have an 04 blazer. From what I can find, it doesn't have any gps anywhere in it. I don't want a newer vehicle though because theyre too electronic dependent. Those OnStar commercials bragging about tightening seatbelts, shutting down vehicles, and locking doors scare the crap outta me.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    But seriously, thats one of the reasons I dont want a new car. Nor do I have a laptop with a built in webcam. Just minimizing the risks, but I know there is plenty of them around.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I think it is time for a Constitutional amendment guaranteeing absolute privacy.

+1

On another similar train of thought, cell phones can be used to track you whether it's on or off these days and they can remotely turn them on. For shits and grins we decided to see if we could block the signal to one of our i-phones. Wanted to check and see if the need ever arose we could avoid any contact between the phone and it's masters. Well we tried, and have not found a way yet. Yesterday we placed it inside two lead lined film bags (remember back in the day we actually had to buy stuff to put in our cameras and spend money to get the results??) the blasted phone could still get a signal inside those bags. We even folded it up, and had 4+ layers of lead bag between the phone and the outside, thing rang each time we called it :(

Thinking about a steel box for it now..............

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    +1

On another similar train of thought, cell phones can be used to track you whether it's on or off these days and they can remotely turn them on. For shits and grins we decided to see if we could block the signal to one of our i-phones. Wanted to check and see if the need ever arose we could avoid any contact between the phone and it's masters. Well we tried, and have not found a way yet. Yesterday we placed it inside two lead lined film bags (remember back in the day we actually had to buy stuff to put in our cameras and spend money to get the results??) the blasted phone could still get a signal inside those bags. We even folded it up, and had 4+ layers of lead bag between the phone and the outside, thing rang each time we called it :(

Pull the battery?

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    +1

bring it to my house. No reception, I have to go outside to talk on the cell phone. ??

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    How does all of this not violate the 4th Amendment?

"right of the people to be secure in their...papers...shall not be violated...no warrants shall issue...but upon probable cause...describing...the things to be seized"

Isnt their loophole that they have the right because it isnt direct communication with another? A third party being involved? The communication goes across state lines?

Top Bottom