Federal HST 40 S&W: 165 gr VS. 180 gr

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by BurkGlocker, Nov 2, 2009.

1. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Active Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    I bought three boxes of each, and took them out to the range. I didnt do any penetration testing just expansion testing, in gallon jugs of water. The 180 grainers expanded over .100" more than the 165 gr bullets. Even the one round of 180 gr that I put through 4 layers of denim out-expanded the 165 gr bullets. I also put them up against some 165 gr Ranger T-Series that I had, and they were larger than the T-Series bullets... As soon as I can find a camera with the ability to take suitable quality pictures, I will post some pics.

Brad :texas:

2. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Interesting. I've always leaned towards the heavier bullets,

3. BurkGlocker

Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Top two from left are 180 grain, the first one just through water and sitting on a quarter, the other through four layers of denim. The two below that are 165 gr HSTs just through water. The two on the far right are Ranger T-Series, 165 gr. Just a nasty, nasty round...

4. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    HST's are some of the best quality JHP's out there that I've found.

5. BurkGlocker

Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    I could never find any for the .45, but have used them in my 9mm and .40 and am quite impressed with their peformance. Next thing I need to do is make some more 'ballistics gelatin' to really test these boogers out. I literally have over 200 spent bullets that I have tested over the past two years. I jsut love doing it. Too bad I couldnt make money at it... LOL

The thing that got me is that it seems that the heavier the bullet weight, the more they expand. I looked at the 165s and 180s side by side and it seems that the serrations down the sides of the bullet goes down farther on the 180 than on the 165. It even seemed true on the 124 and 147 grainers in 9mm. I put an expanded 147 gr next to a 165gr and the 9mm was larger in diameter than the .40.

Another issue that I have is that i was looking at my new rounds and noticed that one of the rounds was shorter than the rest. I pulled it out and looked at it and the bullet has been pushed into the case at least .080", maybe more. I dont have a bullet puller of any kind, but I was going to try to save this round but I dont know. I sure the hell am not going to shoot that round, thats for damn shit sure.

6. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I agree. Although the old Hydra Shoks are still a pretty good defense round (and all I've been able to find for .45) the HST's, are steller while provideing a non +p option.

7. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    Huh, I would have expected the lighter bullets to expand more. I do find it interesting that the 9's expanded more.

I guess it has to do with bullet contruction.

Cool.

8. BurkGlocker

Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX

See, and that was my thinking as well, lighter, faster would equate into a bullet that expanded more, but that wasnt the case. Here is a pic of some that went through denim, and you can tell that the heavies expanded more.
    [​IMG]

There is a noticable difference in the two weights, thats for damn sure.

9. KellyAsh

KellyAsh Active Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Roatan, Honduras
    Great testing and pics! Keep them coming! Very worthwhile. It would make a great sticky thread of its own dedicated to finding the best performing rounds for TGT. Maybe a king of the hill type thing. I would say start with Gold Dots as they are some the best expanding rounds out there short of the Powrballs and Critical Defense types and hard to beat. It does make sense that the heavier bullets expand more as a heavier bullet = more kinetic energy. More kinetic energy = more things being pushed around. Also, the heavier bullet would have more penetration allowing more time to expand.

10. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't see much difference between the 147 and the 147 +P. At least not those at the top. And the 124 gr +P is quite a bit behind in expansion width, (less metal to expand) although they are very uniform. If I had to choose a 9mm round based on those examples, I'd go with the standard pressure 147 gr. I guess what we're missing is the penetration, which the edge should go to the 147 gr +P.

Thanks for posting that.