• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    I travel for work and sometimes go to large, secured, Federal sites that don't allow handguns and have been known to search cars entering the gates. I'm in OKC and I couldn't bring my EDC because I'm working on a government site. Is there any place I can leave my gun while I am working for a few hours on Federal property? The only thing I can think of is to keep my hotel room for another day until job is finished, but I can't justify that much expense very often. Maybe I should ask to use the hotel to use their safe.
    ARJ Defense ad

tanker1983

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Copperas Cove, TX
    Most Federal Installations will allow you to secure the weapon at the Security Checkpoint, Provost Marshall or MP Station. Just have the slide cable locked with weapon in a LOCKED Hard Case. Ammo in the trunk and locked. When you approach the entry control point, notify the guard of your intentions. He will most likely have you pull aside and there is a minimum amount of papaerwork. They will hold it until you are ready. Most all Posts / Bases will allow you to retrieve your weapon 24/7, since the security pointis always manned. We were traveling on vacation and visited our youngins on Maxwell AFB in Alabama. I called ahead and the process when I arrived went exactly as they told me it would on the phone. Hope this helps...

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    Thanks for the reply, Tanker. I'll consider calling ahead. My problem is that I don't want word to get back to my company that I'm carrying into sites. They would see it as a hindrance or distraction to my job. Company policy is that we can't carry on company property or in company vehicles. I don't want to ask about the policy of carrying in POV while on company business because I might not like the answer. All of our management have CHLs and they know me well enough that I wouldn't get in any trouble, but I don't want to stir the pot for me or the several others that I know carry.

I wonder if my bank could loan me a bank deposit box for a few hours. They have branches all over the US. At night, I can leave my gun locked up in my hotel room. During the day, after I check out of the hotel and before I drive home from the federal installation is where I have problems. I just had a trip through 3 states and I had to leave my gun at home because the last stop was a federal installation.

tanker1983

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Copperas Cove, TX
    Willy. If you are in a POV the company CANNOT make policy. IT"S YOUR CAR and YOUR GUN. I also see ZERO chance of it getting back to anyone. You know the drill. Once you leave the Entry Control Point they move on to the next car, thing, distraction. We have all pulled that dreaded detail. Really, I thought I was either not going to bring my gun on vacation (didn't like that one a bit), have to stay off base and visit the kids daily, or go through some huge NUTROLL. It was not that big a deal. The secruity personnel have bigger fish to fry than someone who is being open and honest about excercising their 2nd Amendment rights.

Top Bottom