Feds raid reporters home, take files, due to husbands 1986 conviction. Any info?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
Feds confiscate investigative reporter?s confidential files during raid | The Daily Caller

I have so many questions about this article, maybe some of you all can clear it up for me, otherwise this looks 100% like the federal government intimidating and going after a reporter for her investigation.

I'm trying to understand what the heck happened here.

Her husband was convicted with "resisting arrest" in 1986 and now can't own firearms? Resisting arrest is a felony?

Why are they raiding her house almost 20 years later searching for weapons?

If a warrant is served, the police can take whatever they want out of your house?

Why was the Coast Guard involved?

and on and on

TheDan

4th Best Member
TGT Supporter
Nov 11, 2008
Austin - Rockdale
Interesting...

Legality of her document seizures aside, why the heck did she even have paper documents? Scan it, encrypt it, put it on a thumb drive, and lock it in a fire safe. Her confidential contacts are all at risk now because her information system is apparently still in the 70's :p

Texan2

TGT Addict
Nov 8, 2008
South of San Antonio
Feds confiscate investigative reporter?s confidential files during raid | The Daily Caller

I have so many questions about this article, maybe some of you all can clear it up for me, otherwise this looks 100% like the federal government intimidating and going after a reporter for her investigation.

I'm trying to understand what the heck happened here.

Her husband was convicted with "resisting arrest" in 1986 and now can't own firearms? Resisting arrest is a felony?

Why are they raiding her house almost 20 years later searching for weapons?

If a warrant is served, the police can take whatever they want out of your house?

Why was the Coast Guard involved?

and on and on
He may have other convictions? Depends on how he resisted and what jurisdiction it was in.

Its actually 27 years since 1986.

They can seized whatever is within the parameters of the warrant. The warrant will describe items that are being searched for. The warrant affidavit would probably clarify many of these questions.

Coast Guard? Do they live on a boat?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
Just read story. If the warrrant DID specify firearms, seizing the papers was a no-no.
Right. Looks like they were going after the weapons. Or that was their justification to do whatever they did.

Id like to know more about why he couldnt own weapons. Resisting arrest?

just jk

TGT Addict
Feb 27, 2011
dee eff dub
F

only within the scope of the affidavit presented to the judge who authorized the search warrant - and even then - the judge can further limit the scope

sometimes search warrants can be overly broad in their scope - so as to get "everything" without missing something

while not a 100% rule - often times, an on the spot determination is made to take something - to be evaluated later for its probative evidence........meaning, if they take it back to the offiice and its nothing - then it gets returned

drawing any conclusion from JUST the raid is dangerous - because the investigation is still in the fact finding mode.......but if you could see the affidavit - that would answer quite a few of your questions because the case is laid out

Primary

TexasGunTalk Assistant
Here are some related products that TexasGunTalk members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TexasGunTalk’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TexasGunTalk discussions about these products.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads