Guns International

Feds raid reporters home, take files, due to husbands 1986 conviction. Any info?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Feds confiscate investigative reporter?s confidential files during raid | The Daily Caller

I have so many questions about this article, maybe some of you all can clear it up for me, otherwise this looks 100% like the federal government intimidating and going after a reporter for her investigation.

I'm trying to understand what the heck happened here.

Her husband was convicted with "resisting arrest" in 1986 and now can't own firearms? Resisting arrest is a felony?

Why are they raiding her house almost 20 years later searching for weapons?

If a warrant is served, the police can take whatever they want out of your house?

Why was the Coast Guard involved?

and on and on
    Lynx Defense

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Interesting...

Legality of her document seizures aside, why the heck did she even have paper documents? Scan it, encrypt it, put it on a thumb drive, and lock it in a fire safe. Her confidential contacts are all at risk now because her information system is apparently still in the 70's :p

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Feds confiscate investigative reporter?s confidential files during raid | The Daily Caller

I have so many questions about this article, maybe some of you all can clear it up for me, otherwise this looks 100% like the federal government intimidating and going after a reporter for her investigation.

I'm trying to understand what the heck happened here.

Her husband was convicted with "resisting arrest" in 1986 and now can't own firearms? Resisting arrest is a felony?

Why are they raiding her house almost 20 years later searching for weapons?

If a warrant is served, the police can take whatever they want out of your house?

Why was the Coast Guard involved?

and on and on
    He may have other convictions? Depends on how he resisted and what jurisdiction it was in.

Its actually 27 years since 1986.

They can seized whatever is within the parameters of the warrant. The warrant will describe items that are being searched for. The warrant affidavit would probably clarify many of these questions.

Coast Guard? Do they live on a boat?

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    F

only within the scope of the affidavit presented to the judge who authorized the search warrant - and even then - the judge can further limit the scope

sometimes search warrants can be overly broad in their scope - so as to get "everything" without missing something

while not a 100% rule - often times, an on the spot determination is made to take something - to be evaluated later for its probative evidence........meaning, if they take it back to the offiice and its nothing - then it gets returned

drawing any conclusion from JUST the raid is dangerous - because the investigation is still in the fact finding mode.......but if you could see the affidavit - that would answer quite a few of your questions because the case is laid out

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Obama, preparing for his third term.

Thats why im asking these questions. I dont want to believe he is aiming federal law enforcement at innocent civilans and reporters.

Maybe if the IRS wasnt used to target and intimidate political opponents and opposition groups id be less suspicious.

This is some real creepy stuff folks. Mainstream media needs to wake up.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    i seriously doubt Obama had anything personally to do with this search

Most assuredly you are correct. He doesn't have to, therein lies the power of the office.

That said, and while I was intentionally being a bit facetious, would you put it past those currently in power to give it a shot? From what I'm seeing lately that troublesome idea is not entirely implausible considering what's been going on with the NSA, DOJ, et al.

It's not like there is not an historical precedent ... 22nd Amendment, like the 2nd, be damned.

Top Bottom