• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    It's so hot I decided to go commando today. I knew y'all would want to know that I can still make important decisions like that!
    I decided it was a good day to spray Roundup on some brush near the house. But when it hit 94° at 3:30 I decided to call it quits and retreat to the shade and the barrel fan!

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    The Redneck pool/water trough is looking rather inviting.

@justmax texted me reminding me to empty my pockets before I jumped in. I told him there wasn't any need to do that since I'd be going in nekkid!

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Heat index, wind chill same as telling people to wash their hands after handling raw meat or after taking a shit! Generally it’s nothing more then nanny state looking out for the idiots they created!
    Hey there! Don't get me riled up while I'm trying to decide which pronouns to put on my tombstone. A$$hole can be used as a pronoun can't it.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    skf,

I did the 'roundup spray' thing today too.

Up until this year, I would do the whole yard all in one day which would take 6 gallons.

No longer.

I do 1 gallon only per day until the entire yard is done.

Needless to say I've yard and yards of fence, flower beds and on and on.

Doing only 1 gallon of spray a day is the way to go as I don't want to keel over and croak as my heat tolerance isn't what it used to be...

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    skf,

Up until this year, I would do the whole yard all in one day which would take 6 gallons.

No longer.

Doing only 1 gallon of spray a day is the way to go as I don't want to keel over and croak as my heat tolerance isn't what it used to be...
    I do mine from the riding mower. It took 2 gallons, but I only got the outside perimeter of the chain link fence.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    skf,

No longer.

Sissy! My heat tolerance is still just fine. Ninety seven degrees is easy as long as the AC keeps working.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I actually purchased a 12 volt 25 gallon sprayer to mount on my four wheeler. I use it for the bigger projects and brush clearing around the acreage. For the yard and the more delicate projects, I just use the one gallon sprayer.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I just want the temperature. The pipes freeze at 32 real, summer is hot so who cares. Dry heat, wet heat, same. That’s why we have AC.
    Dry heat and wet (I imagine you mean hhumid) heat are the same - not really. Try using a swamp cooler in a very humid environment like Houston - it is not going to work or at least not work anywhere nearly as well as in would in an arid area like Death Valley.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I actually purchased a 12 volt 25 gallon sprayer to mount on my four wheeler. I use it for the bigger projects and brush clearing around the acreage. For the yard and the more delicate projects, I just use the one gallon sprayer.

Around the house, I use one of those 2 gallon sprayers from Lowes.

When we are doing the fence lines, we have a trailer mounted one that is about 60 gallons and has an 8 foot spray bar, and a wand for spot spraying with about a 15 foot hose attached.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Heat index only matters if you are outside working or doing something else which puts you in a position to overheat. The high humidity prevents sweat from efficiently cooling your body.

Was “wet bulb” temp in the army, and was used to determine safe work/rest cycles and water intake. But for most these days it’s completely irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I am up at 5 am daily ( earlier than when I used to work). By 6 am I have showered, had coffee, read the Bible chapter for the day and prayed for cooler weather. By 6:15 my neighbors are treated to mowing, blowing and whatever else is on the day’s agenda. I finish all my work daily by 8 am. Can’t handle it once the sun gets any higher.

BTW, I usually use Eraser for weed control; it’s 48% Glyphosate like Roundup. I also buy Eliminator Super Concentrate at Walmart; it’s 50.2% which is the highest Glyphosate concentrate I’ve found in retail. At 4 oz/ gal it works better than Eraser at 5 oz/gal. The Eraser goes along the fence lines and the Eliminator around the walkways and flower beds.

I too use a 25 gal Tractor Supply tow behind for the acreage and a Chapin professional 2 gal poly tank sprayer for the detail work.

These temps and summer rains have the weeds growing like a rain forest.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Heat index only matters if you are outside working or doing something else which puts you in a position to overheat. The high humidity prevents sweat from efficiently cooling your body.

Was “wet bulb” temp in the army, and was used to determine safe work/rest cycles and water intake. But for most these days it’s completely irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does matter a lot. And probably more so to those of us working outside. Heat exhaustion and heat stroke are very serious dangers and without knowing the heat index, they can sneak up on you so much faster. Both can hurt you and even kill you.

Top Bottom