• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    I have a hungarian FEG R61 and I'm not sure what ammo to use.
    It has "9mmM" on the slide that stands for Makarov so one would assume 9x18 Makarov, however in the ejector its stamped "9mm short". Basically a .380.

Anyone have a clue?
    Target Sports

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    I believe I have found the answer it's a .380, because according to this article about Century Arms Int. and the FEG R61

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_2_46/ai_58446492/pg_3

"Surplus PA-63 and R61 pistols have been imported into the United States in large quantities by Century Arms and sold at incredibly good prices for such a high quality gun. Many are in the original 9mm Makarov chambering while others have been rebarreled by FEG to .380 ACP for the American market. New commercial versions of both pistols in .380 ACP have also been imported by KBI."

I also googled pictures of the same gun and I found that theirs don't have the 9mm Short printed on the barell while mine does.

Case closed.

Yet this is good info for the next person. :cool:

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    Give us a range report asap.:D

Range Report on FEG R61 .380:

Positive:

-Shoots great,
    -Accurate
    -Little/Average recoil
    -No troubles shooting

Negative:

-No slide release lever/button: One needs to pull back the open slide back a tad to release and chamber the round. Not a huge issue
    -Grip: The grip is not ambidextrous *right handed* and has a thumb rest. While the thumb rest may be fine for some shooters, if you have big hands like mine its uncomfortable and painful. Painful because it forces your grip up wards and the hammer tends to beat the crap out of the area between your thumb and index. After I was done, my hand was swollen in that area and bloody (slightly)
    -Clips: are light and does require the aid of the other hand to pull it out once you press the release. I feel this will get better with some good wear.

Overall: The gun shoots remarkably well, put 400 rounds of Independence 90gr FMJ through it without a single glitch. Very smooth. The trigger a bit tight, but I hear that was common. Once I replace the grips and put some wear on the clips, I'll be very pleased with it.

voltaire1923

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Las Vegas NV.
    ok, I know it's been some time now. but your R61 is A 9mm short... being a 9x18...not a .380....not to be used with a 9mm short. will work but it is made to shoot a bigger bullet. a .380 is smaller not by much but it is. a 9mmM wuill shoot a .380.... but a .380 wont, shoot a 9mmM....it will mess up you gun and is unsafe....

voltaire1923

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Las Vegas NV.
    Never mine. I was wrong.....

ok, I know it's been some time now. but your R61 is A 9mm short... being a 9x18...not a .380....not to be used with a 9mm short. will work but it is made to shoot a bigger bullet. a .380 is smaller not by much but it is. a 9mmM wuill shoot a .380.... but a .380 wont, shoot a 9mmM....it will mess up you gun and is unsafe....

Floyd_Droid- was right...I too had just got mine and I went out and got a box of 9x18...too big. I then got a box of .380 fits like a glove sorry... but I was wrong...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom