• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    The environment has more to do with it than the radios sometimes. But to get around that, you'll spend close to $300 each for the good ones, and Best Buy won't sell them. :D

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    I have had good luck with Motorola's and a throat mic that combo works great for huntin.
    2c.jpg

woulf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bryan, TX
    What was wrong with them?

We tried them across the parking lot of Walgreens and there was alot of static. Tried one outside while one inside, and they became useless. (tried that method since they claimed to offer the best interior reception, being digital):cool:

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    :rolleyes:Now I'm taking the $100 pieces of junk back to Best Buy for a swap.

I was looking at these for a possible exchange.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8804822&st=2+way+radio&type=product&id=1208562187982

20-mile range for FRS radios? Some marketing guy at Cobra is smoking crack.

Any suggestions on what will work? Not needing anything with ungodly distances, just something with features and won't be full of static with only 25 feet of space between radios

If you really want less static, go to amateur (ham) radios. You'll have to get licenses but it's way worth it. There are some great little hand-held ham radios now.

Pony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    I use a good old fashioned CB. If privacy is not a problem, then you can pick em up a dime a dozen. I have a loud one in my pickup and a couple of small handhelds we use around the ranch. It has its advantage that you can also use it in case of breakdowns, to get local or traffic info from other drivers (usually only commercial drivers are using CB's still), or just chat mindless babble on long trips. I have mine turned on when making any out of town trips, it can be useful when "your toenails are scratching" and you don't want a "Christmas card" from "Smokey" - it saved me a possible ticket a couple of times when I'd let my speed creep up a little too much on the interstate.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    20-mile range for FRS radios? Some marketing guy at Cobra is smoking crack.

If you really want less static, go to amateur (ham) radios. You'll have to get licenses but it's way worth it. There are some great little hand-held ham radios now.

+1! Great deals to be had on excellent amateur handhelds with great range and features.
    Charlie (AKA n5esj)

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The FCC limits wattage on FRS frequencies to one-half watt. You will not get much out of spitting range with that ;)

The GMRS frequencies are not so limited, (50 watt max allowed) but the retail bought ones usually have no more than 5 watts.

I have a set of 5 Watt radios, and the reception dies just prior to one-half mile from my house. I suspect the advertised range may be over open water under other ideal conditions.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    UHF frequencies, low power (1 to 5 watts), and the damn RUBBER DUCK no gain (actually, minus gain) antennas make those kinda' inefficient. But they will reach out 5 to 10 miles.............................from an airplane 3500 ft. + or a mountain top! Public service (police, fire, etc.) handhelds work pretty good because of an extensive repeater service (most of the time). Just my $.02 worth.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I think Cobra quality has gone the way of the dinosaur. It used to be a premium name but has been sold several times... probably some sweatshop Chinese made item by now.

I agree with the Motorola recommendations.

Top Bottom