• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I didn't know about the paint on galvanized metal. I'll have to read up on it. I don't think any such treatment was proposed. Thanks!

Painting would be for cosmetic reasons, to make it match, but not for the purpose of preventing corrosion. Yes, it would be needed to be treated to in order for paint to adhere to the galvanized metal.

One of the simple treatments for galvanized metal is just vinegar and water wash and then properly drying before painting.

From the description on your first post, this sounds like a fence that would be front and center, so I would expect that painting would be desired.
    Texas SOT

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    We have had about a half mile of fence installed (box wire on drill stem pipe, along with some gates) and have learned that there is a huge difference in installer quality (like anything, I guess). We got lucky and hired someone we knew, but since then check out fences all the time and realize how lucky we were. Sagging fences and poorly installed posts everywhere. So if you don’t already have someone you trust ask neighbors with good fences. Find the right guy and stick with him.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    A fence done correctly, with good materials, will last for many years. We have fencing here on the farm we put up, almost fifty years ago that is still as good as it was when it was installed.

Even given that, we are doing the new fencing much differently now. Years ago, we used creosote posts and barb wire, with hig wire at the bottom. Want to test the quality of your fencing? Try keeping hogs in! Horses and cows are easy to contain.

Now, we are doing all our new fencing with 4" drill stem for corner posts and stretch posts, with "T" posts in between, five strands of barb wire with 6" hog wire. It's for cattle, but with all the feral hog problems, the hog wire is to keep them out and lesson the amount of damage to the pastures and hay fields. So far, it seems to be working.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I'm going to agree with a previous poster - inspect OLDER jobs prospective bidders have done. A cheap fence is just like a cheap dentist - you're gonna endure a LOT of pain if it's done wrong.

I replaced a softener last week that had been installed - backwards - about 5 years ago. The guy that sold it to him had underbid me by $200 - and it showed in both workmanship and materials. Loaded the old unit in the customers' truck - he dropped it off (literally) at the other guys shop, even though I had offered to correct the plumbing issues and correct the problems rather than replace it. Oh - and he drilled several small holes in the old system just to be sure he didn't try to reuse it....lol

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Even with using various power equipment, there is still a lot of hard manual labor to building fences. Low bidders will more than likely shortcut where they can. And it may look great once they finish, but how is it going to look in six months? Or a year? Or five years?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom