• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    So suppose me and a friend are discussing building AK's from parts kits and nodak receivers. Say we go to a gun show and buy a bunch of parts kits and such, and would make a business out of this.

Now what type of FFL license would be suitable for this? And would it have to be a legit full time thing, or can it be a side job? Are there any rules pertaining to this? I have read that they cost around $2250 per year. The type 7 looks about right...

Can we use Nodak receivers and such or do we have to bend our own flats? How involved are the laws regarding this?

Just requesting info for now.

Thanks
    Guns International

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    07. If you're manufacturing and selling defense articles you have to pay ITAR, which is probably where that $2250 figure comes from. The FFL is cheap.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    I would readceverything from the gov before I trusted a forum regarding something that could land me in jail.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Read the part about 07 FF in the regulations.... That covers manufacturing as well as dealing. $65.

SOT, $500/year, adds manufacturing full auto/short barrel/silencers (and allows dealing in same).

Ah, ITAR...$2.2k. Entertaining. No idea what it is good for, but it must be OK because the State Department says so.

Alex

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    07. If you're manufacturing and selling defense articles you have to pay ITAR, which is probably where that $2250 figure comes from. The FFL is cheap.
    It doesn't sound like he plans to actually manufacture parts. Only buy the parts and assemble them. That still requires an 07 according to the ATF, but would he really need ITAR since he's not actually making the parts?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    It doesn't sound like he plans to actually manufacture parts. Only buy the parts and assemble them. That still requires an 07 according to the ATF, but would he really need ITAR since he's not actually making the parts?

Yes, because he will be taking NODAK receivers and assembling them into firearms regulated by ITAR (AK's according to him).

If he was taking the NODAK receivers and assembling them into sporting shotguns, then he would not have register with ITAR as sporting shotguns are not covered.

Top Bottom