FFL wait time

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by DCortez, May 10, 2009.

1. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    What is a reasonable time to wait for an FFL to be processed?

I'm not in the business, so I don't know the ins and outs, but do think 24+hours seems unreasonable. My impression was it's a generic faxed form. Am I wrong or should I be thankful that the gun gods would bow down from the clouds to return a phone call?

We are all busy, ya know.

2. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    You mean the application process for a Federal Firearm License? Or a Federal Firearm Licensee to process a transfer? Or just for your FFL to send a copy of their FFL to a transferring FFL? I don't think the question is clear. Obviously the FFL process is a whole different animal from a transfer, so I'll take a shot and say you mean transfer.

To get a copy of an FFL to a transferring FFL is as long as an email or fax takes. Some FFL's make them available for customers to send. Mine sent me the copy to deal with whoever was going to ship it. Once it was received, it was a matter of them unpacking it while I was there, complete the 4473 and 2-3 minutes to make the call (didn't have a CHL at the time).

So 24 hours to get a copy of their FFL to a transferring FFL may or may not be a long time based on how the FFL prioritizes it.

Sorry my answer was so short and too the point. :rofl:

3. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    :lolz:

I was pretty irritated when I wrote the thread and wasn't very clear.

Was wondering how long is too long for a local shop to send over the necessary paperwork for a gun transfer. Should I wait 2, 5, 24, 48, or how many hours before following up or looking elsewhere? I don't want to be rude or imposing but also don't want to fall through the cracks.

4. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    It depends on the shop. When I purchased my XD on gunbroker.com...the gun I bought was being sold through a gun store in Kentucky. I called them up, paid them, and then told them who my FFL would be. As far as the shop I used for the transfer locally, I had to go in and pick up a copy of their license and then fax it to the shop in Kentucky. My local shop wouldn't fax it over...although for a $50 FFL transfer fee, I don't think it would be to much to ask...lol. If your shop sends it for you, I don't imagine it would take too long since they can just fax it, but they do get busy. Ask them if you can fax the paper over yourself, it'll atleast guarantee them a transfer fee.

5. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    In that case, I'd call and ask if they are sending it and if so when, or if they'd rather you send it.

Even quicker. ;)

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    A couple hours is reasonable. If it takes longer than that, they are lazy, or the fax number you gave them is busy (whichcase that's a viable excuse).

7. cbigclarke

cbigclarke TGT Addict

Feb 24, 2009
    cypress

for 50 bucks they should have delivered it to your house

8. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    When the guys at Collector's told me it was $70 for a transfer and it could get done right away, I chuckled and thought it was too high.

The guys that told me $25, have yet to return my follow up phone calls and emails which started around 10 am on Friday.

9. cbigclarke

cbigclarke TGT Addict

Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    holy moly:mad0079:.. where are you at that they doing you like that? i just got one done for $25. im going to pick it up and friday

10. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Houston. I've tried getting this done from Tomball down to Sugarland.

:mad: