• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    What is a reasonable time to wait for an FFL to be processed?

I'm not in the business, so I don't know the ins and outs, but do think 24+hours seems unreasonable. My impression was it's a generic faxed form. Am I wrong or should I be thankful that the gun gods would bow down from the clouds to return a phone call?

We are all busy, ya know.
    Hurley's Gold

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    You mean the application process for a Federal Firearm License? Or a Federal Firearm Licensee to process a transfer? Or just for your FFL to send a copy of their FFL to a transferring FFL? I don't think the question is clear. Obviously the FFL process is a whole different animal from a transfer, so I'll take a shot and say you mean transfer.

To get a copy of an FFL to a transferring FFL is as long as an email or fax takes. Some FFL's make them available for customers to send. Mine sent me the copy to deal with whoever was going to ship it. Once it was received, it was a matter of them unpacking it while I was there, complete the 4473 and 2-3 minutes to make the call (didn't have a CHL at the time).

So 24 hours to get a copy of their FFL to a transferring FFL may or may not be a long time based on how the FFL prioritizes it.

Sorry my answer was so short and too the point.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Sorry my answer was so short and too the point.

I was pretty irritated when I wrote the thread and wasn't very clear.

Was wondering how long is too long for a local shop to send over the necessary paperwork for a gun transfer. Should I wait 2, 5, 24, 48, or how many hours before following up or looking elsewhere? I don't want to be rude or imposing but also don't want to fall through the cracks.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    It depends on the shop. When I purchased my XD on gunbroker.com...the gun I bought was being sold through a gun store in Kentucky. I called them up, paid them, and then told them who my FFL would be. As far as the shop I used for the transfer locally, I had to go in and pick up a copy of their license and then fax it to the shop in Kentucky. My local shop wouldn't fax it over...although for a $50 FFL transfer fee, I don't think it would be to much to ask...lol. If your shop sends it for you, I don't imagine it would take too long since they can just fax it, but they do get busy. Ask them if you can fax the paper over yourself, it'll atleast guarantee them a transfer fee.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    A couple hours is reasonable. If it takes longer than that, they are lazy, or the fax number you gave them is busy (whichcase that's a viable excuse).

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    for 50 bucks they should have delivered it to your house

When the guys at Collector's told me it was $70 for a transfer and it could get done right away, I chuckled and thought it was too high.

The guys that told me $25, have yet to return my follow up phone calls and emails which started around 10 am on Friday.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    When the guys at Collector's told me it was $70 for a transfer and it could get done right away, I chuckled and thought it was too high.

The guys that told me $25, have yet to return my follow up phone calls and emails which started around 10 am on Friday.

holy moly.. where are you at that they doing you like that? i just got one done for $25. im going to pick it up and friday

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    for 50 bucks they should have delivered it to your house

Yeah, well I picked them out on gunbroker.com's FFL list and it showed them as being $25, so when I called the shop in Kentucky to pay for it I told them who I'd be using. I had my wife go to the local shop to pick up the FFL for faxing and she didn't tell me until after she faxed it out that their fees were $50. Apparently their fees have been that high for a couple years, so I won't be using them for that anymore. The shop in Kentucky shipped it out as soon as they received the fax, so I couldn't tell them I wanted to switch FFL's. Either way, both shops were quick and very polite.

Top Bottom