• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    My fiancée has recently expressed an interest in learning how to shoot a pistol! I briefly mentioned it to her earlier but I did not push the subject beyond that so it is great to hear that she is interested as I wanted her to be proficient in the use of a pistol so she can defend herself if needed. We are first going to be doing some dry fire training/practice as I have one of those laser targeting systems that I can use on any of my pistols at home. She seems to not be intimidated by firearms so I think she will be fine starting with a 9mm pistol so I will likely have her try one of my S&W 5906 pistols first since it has some weight to it to absorb a good amount of recoil. After that I will probably have her try several others such as the CZ-75, Beretta 92FS, and SIG P226. Perhaps even have her try my CZ-83 and Beretta Model 84 in .380 ACP. I don't know yet if she is going to want to get a CWL but if she changes her mind I will work with her to find a good compact pistol for her to carry.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Maybe have her become fairly proficient with one before mixing her up with others...

We are going to learn the basics with just one at first. She kind of wants to try them all so I suppose she will decide which one she prefers and then we will do some regular practice with it. All of the ones I have are all metal, double/single action pistols with double stack mags.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    It's great that she knows whats up with guns, but are you sure you want her involved in your hobby?

She is not going to be into any collecting as I am so I can see her coming out to the range from time to time to shoot the pistol that she likes.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Does she have a decent proficiency with a revolver? And is she comfortable with that platform? Always found it easier to teach a person the mechanics with a revolver before stepping up to the more complicated/complex semi-autos.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Does she have a decent proficiency with a revolver? And is she comfortable with that platform? Always found it easier to teach a person the mechanics with a revolver before stepping up to the more complicated/complex semi-autos.

We have not discussed revolvers and I actually do not have any but I think she will be fine with a semi-auto. Before we do the dry fire training/practice I will be going ever the entire operating principles of the average semi-auto. I even have computer rendered animation that I can zoom and scale around to show her in detail how everything operates which will be a great training tool.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Do you really want to be the one to teach her? I know of few things that can cause strife more quickly between loved ones than trying to temporarily change the relationship into a teacher-student dynamic.

If you do want to teach, please remember that it's not difficult in concept. It's way, way too easy to get off into the weeds with gun-specific or cartridge-specific considerations and lose sight of the fundamentals. That's why I always start folks off with a .22LR revolver.

And while I was writing the previous paragraph, you posted #8 in this thread which tells me you're already off in the weeds. <Sigh.>

Good luck. I wish you all the best.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    I agree with Ben, Spouses should not teach spouses anything. Of course since you'll are still in the lovey dovey phase but still......

Just send her off to a weekend SD class. Have her get her own gun and she can hook up with a women's group for a weeknight out with the ladies.

Also, I would scrub the revolver idea. No harder to run a semi auto especially if starting with a blank slate and that is what she will most likely end up with anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Get ready to be out-shot.
    In shooting games where strength for recoil control is not a factor, the normal distribution of body weight of females gives them a base potential to be better precision pistol shooters than men. Back when the international shooting sports folks tried fully integrating the men and women, the experiment was ended when the women started embarrassing the men on a regular basis.

So, yeah. "Get ready to be out-shot" is exactly right.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I agree with Ben.....

Just send her off to a weekend SD class.

I’d suggest that might be a little deep in the weeds for a non-shooter to start with, but my idea and your idea of a weekend SD class may not be the same.

If I was in this situation , I’d ask my wife to look into a variety of offerings for new shooters, whether it’s a basic pistol course, a female-oriented course, or a full on weekend course and let her make the decision with my full support.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If you can't teach your spouse, then you don't know how to teach.
    I can agree with that. Of course, the overwhelming majority of people have no idea how to teach anything.

I've heard world champion shooters speak with great respect of other shooters who are mediocre marksmen but great coaches. OTOH, we all know what happened when Chapman opened his shooting school; he was a world champion but he couldn't teach his way out of a paper bag.

Knowing how to do something and knowing how to teach it are completely different skills.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone who tries to teach a spouse is a dammed dumbass fool.
    tenor.gif

Attachments

• tenor.gif
      tenor.gif
      45.7 KB · Views: 248

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Yep, .22LR to start with.
    This is where you NEED to buy a new training gun. Barrel about 6inches.
    That she'll quickly surpass.
    Then you haz a nice .22 pistola.

9mm mid to full size for real shooting.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bladerunner
    Top Bottom