• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ehs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I have one of the Charles Daley field tactical shotguns. Nothing fancy, but mine. I am wondering about slugs. Does anybody any how these guns work with slugs put in them? Just thought I would try. Thanks

Guns International

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I have one of the Charles Daley field tactical shotguns. Nothing fancy, but mine. I am wondering about slugs. Does anybody any how these guns work with slugs put in them? Just thought I would try. Thanks

If it has a modified or tighter choke I wouldn't bother shooting slugs out of it.

Best option is to call the manufacturer and ask.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Why not? I read the back of the Remington riffled slug box that an improved or modified was recommended? I'm just wondering.

Because anything tighter will shed lead as the bore constricts onto the rifled slug. You get alot of fouling and they aren't too good on the barrel, especially if you have unprotected threads or external chokes.

Slugs are built to varying diameters, some are undersized, which work well with tighter chokes, and others are larger and work better with more open chokes.

Generally speaking, a gun that is built around a tight choke is not exactly a slug gun. It's designed for hunting birds and tight patterning of shot, not a slug.

Some receivers out there also don't like slugs. I've heard stories of Maverick's bulging their receivers due to repeated slug firing.

Top Bottom