• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Greenville
    My original carry was a G26 back in ‘08/09 in Virginia, but it was really heavy for a sub-compact. Then I got a SCCY CPX-2, which recently sold. The grip was way too wide, front to back, and the trigger was not the best, at least in my opinion.

So after finally getting my Tx LTC, the wife ok’d a new carry gun! It’s been a while since I’ve had my hands in the firearms world and lots have changed. I’ve watched a ton of videos on the P365/X/XL and Hellcat. But I’ve always been a fan of FN and have recently fell in love with the 509C.

If ya’ll could, I’d love real person reviews of the P365X/XL, Hellcat, and 509C, especially as concealability goes, bonus points if you’re a big dude like me and give a review on one or all 3.

I absolutely love the 509C but a concern for me is the grip might be too long and the chassis might be a little too wide to conceal on my fat body…lol!! 5’10-11” depending on my mood, 265-275#. The other two should be fairly easier to conceal as they are obviously smaller.

I just want to make sure I don’t regret my purchase. BUT! I can always buy another one!
    Target Sports

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Its easy to conceal a big gun, concealment has more to do with holster choice and dress than gun size.

With that said, the sig 365 is a nice gun. Good capacity, and shoots very well

FN handguns are typically ok, but suffer from poor support, and get discontinued after a few years, especially if a problem comes to light.

I have no experience with the hellcat, so no help there.

Imho, do what you can to shed some weight, and move up to at least a G19 sized gun

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I've handled and fired the 365 & 365XL and wasn't impressed. Though I really, really wanted to be. I've Handled and fired the P-320 as well. And while I don't like it at all, the grip angle and boxiness just don't do it for me, I do like the modularity and available options for the series.

No help on SA or FN, other than to say that I really liked the dry fire trigger on the 509c.

As far as carrying goes, I've seen guys that are 5'-6", 140 max easily conceal a G17 and 6'-4", 320 guys easily conceal a 5" 1911. It all depends on using the proper belt, holster, and clothing/attire to achieve desired results.

Last edited:

LawDawg77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    Houston, Texas
    +1 on holster/belt setup (and clothing choice) helping conceal whatever your flavor ends up being. Have several folks carry the 365 and 365XL and have shot both it and the Hellcat. Similar size to Glock 48 I carry frequently, conceals well. Ammo Capacity for size, 365XL @ 12+1 is pretty awesome and Hellcat has one more round. The Hellcat has snappier recoil than the 365XL. Trigger on the Sig is nicer. Hold both, shoot both, see what you like. Hand fitment is so subjective. Concealment wise, if you already love the 509c, you can find a way to carry it. It's not much wider or taller than the other two. Avoid smedium shirts, pair with a good IWB holster and supportive belt, good to go.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I carry S&W Shield in 45 ACP, compact size, great trigger. Although you have to break it in, springs are very stiff. Leave the gun in locked open for a week or operating the slide is a bear. Get a magazine loader, UpLULA makes one, it's very difficult to load by hand. Load magazines and let sit for a week helps. Target shot in my avatar was with the Shield.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Springfield-EMP4-CC-Contour.png
    nuff said

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Yeah, and if it's too heavy for ya', just put one gun in each hand to balance it out! :facepalm:

Are we still talking about guns, or has it transitioned to wimmenz?

OP - if you want a tiny gun, don't discount the M&P Shield or Shield Plus line. But also don't discount a bigger gun. The right belt & holster makes all the difference in the world. You didn't give your dimensions, but there's a few of us fat guys on the forum that carry mid size or full frame guns. Unless you're a literal beach ball, you should be able to conceal any size pistol short of a Desert Eagle with the proper holster / belt / clothing combination.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!

OP - if you want a tiny gun, don't discount the M&P Shield or Shield Plus line. But also don't discount a bigger gun. The right belt & holster makes all the difference in the world. You didn't give your dimensions, but there's a few of us fat guys on the forum that carry mid size or full frame guns. Unless you're a literal beach ball, you should be able to conceal any size pistol short of a Desert Eagle with the proper holster / belt / clothing combination.
    Yes........

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx

Tru dat I carry a fs 1911 but after my heart surgery it got heavy so I still carry a 4in 1911 but I do like the xds
    Ps as far as the women big ones handle recoil better

Top Bottom