• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    This last monday, my wife and I finally got a chance to shoot our 870 12ga. Had a blast!!! Neither of us had ever shot one before and were both a little worried at first, but in the end we had so much fun we didn't realize we had gone through 60 shells until we couldn't reload anymore. We had originally purchased it for HD, so 85% of our shots were from the hip and after the first couple shots we got pretty damn accurate. She feels confident in using it if she ever needs to for SD, although she wasn't quite as jazzed about the shoulder shots. We both feel we had definitely built up the recoil in our minds quite a bit more than was necessary. The range master was also really helpful beforehand giving us alot of advice and encouragement. I love getting help from people who know what they're talking about and who aren't begrudging you for not "knowing" in the first place. You can't beat personal experience though. Can't wait to do it again...heck, I kinda wanna try their skeet range and see how that goes.
    Target Sports

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    we had gone through 60 shells until we couldn't reload anymore.

You ought to try some dove hunting with that 870. When the birds are flying I can go through 2 or 3 boxes (12 bird limit) in just the morning hunt. Lots of fun.

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    For HD loads try anything that says "Low recoil" or "Managed recoil". Sometimes at the "Fun"show you will find Winchester Ranger "Low Recoil" buckshot and slugs which are pretty easy to shoot. If you want to put a collapseable stock on it look at Mesa Tactical's LEO stock with recoil buffer to reduce the recoil even further and be able to adjust length of pull for just about anyone.

[url]www.mesatactical.com[/URL]

I have their 6 shot shell carrier and a Hogue fore-end on my 870 . That fore-end makes a HUGE difference in handling .

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    I am with you. About 4-5 years ago I bought an 870 for HD and planned on chopping the barrel and doing other things to make it perfect for HD. I even bought 00 and 000 buck shot. I never did the mods because a friend told me not to do that so we could go dove hunting. I would go deer hunting with him and would also take it along but never shot it. I even let a friend borrow it and he shot it but I still had not. This past January or February I finally got to shoot it. I went goose hunting with a buddy's dad, grandpa, uncle and a few other guys. I had a blast! (pun intended) Now I need to go skeet shooting.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    If you are looking into a recoil reducing stock, let me know. I have a Knoxx on mine and you are welcome to give it a try.....

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    For a 12 bird limit, I bring 13 shells...just in case I miss one.

I have to confess that I stole that line from a buddy of mine, but how he came to say it is a different kind of funny. He's not much of a bird hunter, and I'd invited him to an opening day hunt on my dove lease. He's always unprepared, and showed up with only 13 shells, because that's all he could find in his house. He made fun of himself by saying he usually only misses once. Needless to say, it wasn't long before I had to give him a box of my shells...and he shot all 25 of them...and only killed 5-6 doves.

Top Bottom