Finally got to shoot my 870!!

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by GM.Chief, Apr 22, 2009.

1. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    This last monday, my wife and I finally got a chance to shoot our 870 12ga. Had a blast!!! Neither of us had ever shot one before and were both a little worried at first, but in the end we had so much fun we didn't realize we had gone through 60 shells until we couldn't reload anymore. We had originally purchased it for HD, so 85% of our shots were from the hip and after the first couple shots we got pretty damn accurate. She feels confident in using it if she ever needs to for SD, although she wasn't quite as jazzed about the shoulder shots:rofl:. We both feel we had definitely built up the recoil in our minds quite a bit more than was necessary. The range master was also really helpful beforehand giving us alot of advice and encouragement. I love getting help from people who know what they're talking about and who aren't begrudging you for not "knowing" in the first place. You can't beat personal experience though. Can't wait to do it again...heck, I kinda wanna try their skeet range and see how that goes.

2. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    You ought to try some dove hunting with that 870. When the birds are flying I can go through 2 or 3 boxes (12 bird limit) in just the morning hunt. Lots of fun.

3. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    That's for sure if you go with just 1 box it will be a short hunt!

4. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    +1

Save yourself some gas money and take more ammo.

5. Furyataurus

Furyataurus Active Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    For HD loads try anything that says "Low recoil" or "Managed recoil". Sometimes at the "Fun"show you will find Winchester Ranger "Low Recoil" buckshot and slugs which are pretty easy to shoot. If you want to put a collapseable stock on it look at Mesa Tactical's LEO stock with recoil buffer to reduce the recoil even further and be able to adjust length of pull for just about anyone.

www.mesatactical.com

I have their 6 shot shell carrier and a Hogue fore-end on my 870 :devil:. That fore-end makes a HUGE difference in handling :devil:.

6. Stangfan93

Stangfan93 Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    I am with you. About 4-5 years ago I bought an 870 for HD and planned on chopping the barrel and doing other things to make it perfect for HD. I even bought 00 and 000 buck shot. I never did the mods because a friend told me not to do that so we could go dove hunting. I would go deer hunting with him and would also take it along but never shot it. I even let a friend borrow it and he shot it but I still had not. This past January or February I finally got to shoot it. I went goose hunting with a buddy's dad, grandpa, uncle and a few other guys. I had a blast! (pun intended) Now I need to go skeet shooting.

7. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    For a 12 bird limit, I bring 13 shells...just in case I miss one.

8. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    GM is from California. He has to fire a few warning shots.

9. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    If you are looking into a recoil reducing stock, let me know. I have a Knoxx on mine and you are welcome to give it a try.....

10. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston

:lolz: