• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Went to Academy managed to find some 3" 00 buck shells. Yet I still can't seem to find 3" slugs...

I know JKTex was able to find some 3" shells at wal mart earlier.

Academy only had 6 five round packs. 3 were winchester super X and 3 were remington 3" mags. Needless to say I bought them all up...:patriot:
    Military Camp

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Wht do you want 3" buckshot and/or slugs? All they do is beat you and your gun up. If 8-9 pellets of 00 or 000 at 1200-1300 fps cannot bring down the target, you should be using a large caliber rifle. If a 1 oz slug at 1600 fps cannot stop the target, you should be using a very large caliber rifle.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Wht do you want 3" buckshot and/or slugs? All they do is beat you and your gun up. If 8-9 pellets of 00 or 000 at 1200-1300 fps cannot bring down the target, you should be using a large caliber rifle. If a 1 oz slug at 1600 fps cannot stop the target, you should be using a very large caliber rifle.

You obviously did not read my other thread.

I do not think 3" shells are necessary at all...I just want to shoot some 3" shells...is that so wrong?

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    I seen a 10 gauge at the gun show. The guy had some 3 1/2 in slugs that weighed almost 2 oz each. I bet that makes a big boom.

About 3 in shells, a buddy told me, when it comes to home defense, use everything you can. A large caliber rifle is not a good choice for home defense, unless you have lots of room and property. Shotguns are best, load'em with the best. Just practice with whatever load you intend to use.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    I seen a 10 gauge at the gun show. The guy had some 3 1/2 in slugs that weighed almost 2 oz each. I bet that makes a big boom.

About 3 in shells, a buddy told me, when it comes to home defense, use everything you can. A large caliber rifle is not a good choice for home defense, unless you have lots of room and property. Shotguns are best, load'em with the best. Just practice with whatever load you intend to use.

I think 2 3/4" shells are more than adequate for HD. Im just...um...addicted to recoil.

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    If you like to play with recoil, you might think about reloading. You can make some custom loads that will really do the trick.

The cheapest high brass I've found is the #4 lead turkey at wallys. You get 25 shells for around $10. The 3 inchers are 1 7/8 oz. Very fun to shoot.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    My friend, if you want to shoot some 3 inch 00 in your home defense gun, be my guest. But, dont buy the 5 round boxes, be sure and get a large box. That way you will have quite a few rounds left to let your buddies shoot them so you can laugh at them.

At close range like a house, two rounds of dove loads to the center mass will seriously chage someones attitude, and oo or #4 duck loads will definitely stop a threat.

You have to be aware of what is behind your target and how fast you can reaquire a sight picture for a backup shot.

If you really want to fire the big stuff alot, go on a duck hunt in a rice field in a ground blind and be sure you are laying flat on your back when you fire, or hunt in a swamp and lean back against a tree so you get the full impact.

Be safe and have fun.

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    Honestly, anything coming out of a shotgun is dangerous. Home defense really does not require that much. Any form of bird or buck shot will do the trick, 00 guarantees the vitals. Light recoil loads are best for the shooter.

As for having fun shooting slugs, bean bags, or power loads, shoot whatever you want. But for the general public that read this forum, no you don't need a cannon to stop an intruder. But i'm not gonna stop you from using one. :patriot:

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    I know that I should get more than five round boxes but that is all they have at the local wall of china and Academy. Beggars can't be choosers I guess.

87'vette

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    3" 12ga shells

Local Wal Marts here in El Paso stock a good supply of both Slugs and 00 in 3" magnum form. They stock both the 5 pack and 15 pack.

pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    Slightly embarrassing newb story...

Bought my Mossberg 500 a couple months ago; went to Academy to buy my first shotgun ammo to test at the range. I was bewildered by the wall of shotshells and all the different numbers. After staring blankly at various boxes for a while, I finally asked the guy picking up dove loads next to me, "Excuse me, I'm new to this, and I'm looking for 3" 00 buck shells." He gave me a funny look and asked, "What are you hunting?!?" Awkward silence ensued...

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Bought my Mossberg 500 a couple months ago; went to Academy to buy my first shotgun ammo to test at the range. I was bewildered by the wall of shotshells and all the different numbers. After staring blankly at various boxes for a while, I finally asked the guy picking up dove loads next to me, "Excuse me, I'm new to this, and I'm looking for 3" 00 buck shells." He gave me a funny look and asked, "What are you hunting?!?" Awkward silence ensued...

That reminds me of this last time I bought up 5 five round boxes of 3" slugs at walmart.

The guy behind the counter said "Man...you must really not like that elephant in your back yard..." We both laughed and people looked at me like I was nuts...

Top Bottom