Fingertip trigger pull

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by 260ZRED, Dec 12, 2009.

1. 260ZRED

260ZRED New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Houston
    I am a new handgun owner (first gun) and I'm shooting with a Glock 26 and most of my shots are to the low-left. I know this is very common and I read a bunch of threads, all saying to pull the trigger with the finger-tip. The problem is my trigger is "curved" it has ridges receding to the smaller trigger within a trigger. If I try to pull the trigger with fingertip only it slips.. what would you guys recommend?

I can VISUALLY see my pistol MOVE like 1/16" to the 7-8 oclock position when I dry fire. :hammerhead: I understand this is bad and am trying to get rid of this nasty habit.

I have three questions if you could please share your knowledge I would be grateful:

1. Can I dry fire the Glock as much as I want? Hurt anything? Is it a good way to practice ?

2. Where can I get dummy rounds and will they really help?

3. My trigger has those receding ridges on it. It almost looks like it was made on purpose NOT to use finger-tip but whole finger. How Do I finger-tip it like all the people are saying to do ?

Thanks.

2. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You should be able to dry fire it forever with no damage, but a lot of people recommend snap caps. Local gun stores should have them, if not try www.midwayusa.com or www.cheaperthandirt.com.

As far as trigger control, use the middle of the last section of your finger, like directly behind where your fingernail starts. The key is to pull the trigger straight back. Using more finger than that, like at the last joint, pushes the trigger and gun sideways. And give it nice even pressure, don't get the sights lined up and jerk. Also, keep your eye on the front sight, not the target.

3. 87'vette

87'vette Member

Nov 25, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Use the pad of your finger tip. About midway between the tip and the joint. Basically what Dawico said.

Don't waste your money on dummy rounds. Dry fire away.

If you dont like the ribbed trigger you can purchase a smooth trigger for your Glock. I like the smooth trigger better on my G29 :banger:

4. Mate

Mate Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    It has mostly to do with how you press the trigger. I'll agree with the above two posters, using the pad will give you enough strength to press the trigger as fast as you need to, but wont crowd it, which translates into shooting to the left. Shooting low left is vindictive of flinching, or jerking the trigger, not where you place your finger on the trigger. Starting at the fingernail and working down, I can place almost all three knuckles inside the trigger guard, press the trigger, and not have the sights move. I did this by using a steady press, straight to the rear.

Short version -

Use the pad of your trigger finger.

Keep applying pressure until the shot breaks (take your time doing this, if the shot suprises you, then you wont know when to flinch and disrupt the shot)

Follow through (keep your finger held to the rear during recoil)

Catch the reset, or "ride the link" - slowly release the trigger until you feel it "click". Glocks have a very discernable reset. You can hear it even with ear plugs and ear muffs on.

Repeat as neccesary.

Dry fire is great way to practice. It's the most effective when you mix it in during your live fire. Next time you go to the range, load up some dummy rounds and ball rounds in the same mag, and then go to town. Since you wont know which shot is going to go "BANG", you'll be able to catch yourself if you're flinching.

5. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The gun going low and left has nothing to do with trigger pull and everything to do with squeezing your whole hand when you fire it. Moving your finger will not fix your problem.

You need to learn to disassociate your trigger finger from your hand, and to pull through the trigger and let the gun recoil rather than yanking the trigger.

Use the tip of your finger under your nail only. You only use the full finger on long, hard, double action pulls.

6. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Adjusting your grip can help you isolate your trigger finger. I found that I actually have to use very different grip methods for revolvers than I do for pistols. Another help is to relax your strong hand. Your support hand should be doing most of the gripping, and if your grip is proper, the two hands should lock together pretty tightly anyway. I have a tendency to almost completely relax my strong hand when shooting. The gun is coming back toward that hand anyway, why white-knuckle it? Most of your grip should come from your support hand.

Here is a good grip explanation:

YouTube - How to grip a pistol

7. Skip

Skip TGT Addict

Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    ^^^What he said^^^
    Here's a helpful chart also...
    [​IMG]

8. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    I know you've already bought the gun, but I would try and not get the really small gun as a 1st handgun. It makes it harder to shoot.

That being said, you already own the gun. Buying a grip extender will make it easier to hold.

When I shoot my Glock, I imagine pulling the trigger straight back. Nothing moves, except my trigger finger, and it is going straight back at me. It is not easy to separate squeezing your hand, and pulling the trigger (why "squeeze the trigger" isn't really that great of a phrase). Go slow, focus on the front sight. It takes practise.

Congrats the the handgun. (I like Glocks)

If all else fails, you can always get some one-on-one instruction from someone who knows what they are doing. It will cost money, but it is worth it, than to spend $$ on ammo figuring it out on your own.

Just to tell you, it is OK to dry fire a Glock. I believe that most striker fired handguns (Glock being one of them) will not be damaged by dry firing (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I believe the Glock manual recomends decocking the gun when you put it up.

9. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    This is the best advice. it is nearly impossible to diagnose your shooting without actually watching you do it. We have no idea how fast you are pressing the trigger, what kind of sight alignment and picture you are getting, or what your grip looks like.

10. 260ZRED

260ZRED New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Houston
    Thanks for all the helpful replies guys, this forum is awesome!