• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 260ZRED

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Houston
    I am a new handgun owner (first gun) and I'm shooting with a Glock 26 and most of my shots are to the low-left. I know this is very common and I read a bunch of threads, all saying to pull the trigger with the finger-tip. The problem is my trigger is "curved" it has ridges receding to the smaller trigger within a trigger. If I try to pull the trigger with fingertip only it slips.. what would you guys recommend?

I can VISUALLY see my pistol MOVE like 1/16" to the 7-8 oclock position when I dry fire. I understand this is bad and am trying to get rid of this nasty habit.

I have three questions if you could please share your knowledge I would be grateful:

1. Can I dry fire the Glock as much as I want? Hurt anything? Is it a good way to practice ?

2. Where can I get dummy rounds and will they really help?

3. My trigger has those receding ridges on it. It almost looks like it was made on purpose NOT to use finger-tip but whole finger. How Do I finger-tip it like all the people are saying to do ?

Thanks.
    Target Sports

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You should be able to dry fire it forever with no damage, but a lot of people recommend snap caps. Local gun stores should have them, if not try [url]www.midwayusa.com[/URL] or [url]www.cheaperthandirt.com[/URL].

As far as trigger control, use the middle of the last section of your finger, like directly behind where your fingernail starts. The key is to pull the trigger straight back. Using more finger than that, like at the last joint, pushes the trigger and gun sideways. And give it nice even pressure, don't get the sights lined up and jerk. Also, keep your eye on the front sight, not the target.

87'vette

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Use the pad of your finger tip. About midway between the tip and the joint. Basically what Dawico said.

Don't waste your money on dummy rounds. Dry fire away.

If you dont like the ribbed trigger you can purchase a smooth trigger for your Glock. I like the smooth trigger better on my G29

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    It has mostly to do with how you press the trigger. I'll agree with the above two posters, using the pad will give you enough strength to press the trigger as fast as you need to, but wont crowd it, which translates into shooting to the left. Shooting low left is vindictive of flinching, or jerking the trigger, not where you place your finger on the trigger. Starting at the fingernail and working down, I can place almost all three knuckles inside the trigger guard, press the trigger, and not have the sights move. I did this by using a steady press, straight to the rear.

Short version -

Use the pad of your trigger finger.

Keep applying pressure until the shot breaks (take your time doing this, if the shot suprises you, then you wont know when to flinch and disrupt the shot)

Follow through (keep your finger held to the rear during recoil)

Catch the reset, or "ride the link" - slowly release the trigger until you feel it "click". Glocks have a very discernable reset. You can hear it even with ear plugs and ear muffs on.

Repeat as neccesary.

Dry fire is great way to practice. It's the most effective when you mix it in during your live fire. Next time you go to the range, load up some dummy rounds and ball rounds in the same mag, and then go to town. Since you wont know which shot is going to go "BANG", you'll be able to catch yourself if you're flinching.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The gun going low and left has nothing to do with trigger pull and everything to do with squeezing your whole hand when you fire it. Moving your finger will not fix your problem.

You need to learn to disassociate your trigger finger from your hand, and to pull through the trigger and let the gun recoil rather than yanking the trigger.

Use the tip of your finger under your nail only. You only use the full finger on long, hard, double action pulls.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Adjusting your grip can help you isolate your trigger finger. I found that I actually have to use very different grip methods for revolvers than I do for pistols. Another help is to relax your strong hand. Your support hand should be doing most of the gripping, and if your grip is proper, the two hands should lock together pretty tightly anyway. I have a tendency to almost completely relax my strong hand when shooting. The gun is coming back toward that hand anyway, why white-knuckle it? Most of your grip should come from your support hand.

Here is a good grip explanation:

YouTube - How to grip a pistol

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    ^^^What he said^^^
    Here's a helpful chart also...
    correction_chart.gif

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I know you've already bought the gun, but I would try and not get the really small gun as a 1st handgun. It makes it harder to shoot.

That being said, you already own the gun. Buying a grip extender will make it easier to hold.

When I shoot my Glock, I imagine pulling the trigger straight back. Nothing moves, except my trigger finger, and it is going straight back at me. It is not easy to separate squeezing your hand, and pulling the trigger (why "squeeze the trigger" isn't really that great of a phrase). Go slow, focus on the front sight. It takes practise.

Congrats the the handgun. (I like Glocks)

If all else fails, you can always get some one-on-one instruction from someone who knows what they are doing. It will cost money, but it is worth it, than to spend $$ on ammo figuring it out on your own.

Just to tell you, it is OK to dry fire a Glock. I believe that most striker fired handguns (Glock being one of them) will not be damaged by dry firing (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I believe the Glock manual recomends decocking the gun when you put it up.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If all else fails, you can always get some one-on-one instruction from someone who knows what they are doing. It will cost money, but it is worth it, than to spend $$ on ammo figuring it out on your own.

This is the best advice. it is nearly impossible to diagnose your shooting without actually watching you do it. We have no idea how fast you are pressing the trigger, what kind of sight alignment and picture you are getting, or what your grip looks like.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Just a suggestion...call the guys at Shiloh to see if there is someone there who can help you with the fundamentals. Jeff and the gang there are probably the friendliest gun range staff I have met. Once you have the fundamentals down, I also enjoy their beginning tactical class.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    but my sights are probably just off. ;)

I hear that just about every day at the range.

I have a gift from God ... the ability to magically align sights by simply picking up the pistol. That or everyone is incorrect about their sights being off. I'm thinking it's the later, but the first would be really handy.

Every so often someone comes in with a loose sight or has dropped their pistol and bumped the sight over. That or they have adjustable sights from a previous owner that has different shooter habits than the new owner.

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    I am a new handgun owner (first gun) and I'm shooting with a Glock 26 and most of my shots are to the low-left. I know this is very common and I read a bunch of threads, all saying to pull the trigger with the finger-tip. The problem is my trigger is "curved" it has ridges receding to the smaller trigger within a trigger. If I try to pull the trigger with fingertip only it slips.. what would you guys recommend?

I can VISUALLY see my pistol MOVE like 1/16" to the 7-8 oclock position when I dry fire. I understand this is bad and am trying to get rid of this nasty habit.

I have three questions if you could please share your knowledge I would be grateful:

1. Can I dry fire the Glock as much as I want? Hurt anything? Is it a good way to practice ?

2. Where can I get dummy rounds and will they really help?

3. My trigger has those receding ridges on it. It almost looks like it was made on purpose NOT to use finger-tip but whole finger. How Do I finger-tip it like all the people are saying to do ?

Thanks.

A. When people say finger tip they are not referring to the actual finger tip. They are referring to the pad of the finger where your finger print is.
    The finger should be on the trigger aprox where the center of your finger print is on your index finger. The pull should be slow and strait back. When you learn proper trigger pull you can speed up.
    1. I would think yes, as most guns these days are designed where dry fire will not harm them. But you may want to talk to a Glock Armorer or call Glock USA. DO not take the word of a Gun Shop/FFL as half of the people behind the counter have no clue. 1/4 have half a clue and the rest are right on it. But which ones are which.
    2. Snap caps can be found at just about any Bass Pro, Cabellas, most guns shops that carry reloading supplies, Some regular gun shops have them, or you can just do a search for where to buy snap caps for xxx caliber bullets.
    3. Refer to answer A. Above. it is not the finger tip. People always say finger tip but it is the center of the pad (where your finger print is) of your index finger of which ever hand you shoot with. Never use any joint of the finger to pull the trigger.
    Using a joint will cause the gun to move off target. When you use a joint to pull the trigger the joint will always move off center (to left or right depending on which hand you shoot with) when you pull the trigger forcing/moving the barrel to one side, this action for most people also causes the barrel to dip which produces the low strike point when the bullet hits the target.

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    The gun going low and left has nothing to do with trigger pull and everything to do with squeezing your whole hand when you fire it. Moving your finger will not fix your problem.

You need to learn to disassociate your trigger finger from your hand, and to pull through the trigger and let the gun recoil rather than yanking the trigger.

Use the tip of your finger under your nail only. You only use the full finger on long, hard, double action pulls.

And people who do this have not learned proper trigger pull. People who squeeze their whole hand also tend (but not all do this) to use the knuckles of their finger to pull the trigger and this is also improper trigger pull. Low and to the left 99% of the time IS caused by improper trigger pull.

There is never a good time to use the entire finger. Poor incorrect sloppy trigger technique is always wrong. and will always cause your gun to vier off target, weather it be a lot or a little. Weather you are shooting DA only, DA/SA or Striker fired makes no difference. Always use correct trigger technique and your shots will be better, start choking up on the trigger (using knuckles) and your shot placements will suffer.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    There is never a good time to use the entire finger. Poor incorrect sloppy trigger technique is always wrong. and will always cause your gun to vier off target, weather it be a lot or a little. Weather you are shooting DA only, DA/SA or Striker fired makes no difference. Always use correct trigger technique and your shots will be better, start choking up on the trigger (using knuckles) and your shot placements will suffer.

Actually, Jerry Miculek suggests using more trigger finger for heavier DA revolvers, and it has worked very well for me. There is a point where using the tip of your finger becomes counter beneficial. It requires alot of time to pull straight through an 11+ lb. trigger on an Airweight without yanking the shot a mile to the right. I can go faster, with tighter groups, using the more finger method.

For a semi-auto, light double action or single action revolver ... I've never encountered a reason to use more than my finger tip.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

And people who do this have not learned proper trigger pull. People who squeeze their whole hand also tend (but not all do this) to use the knuckles of their finger to pull the trigger and this is also improper trigger pull. Low and to the left 99% of the time IS caused by improper trigger pull.

It's more or less an anticipation issue. Both me and Travis used to shoot like this for a while, and I know for me ... it was mostly me making the gun go off when I wanted it to rather than opting for a surprise break, in hindsight.

Most shooters I see doing this are making the gun go off rather than letting the gun go off. When you suddenly do anything, you will use a large motor movement, and thus you yank the trigger and squeeze your hand. Dry-firing at the actual range will show you what happens, for those of you that shoot low-left as a right handed shooter.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Not much to add to the many, many great tips.
    However, it was mentioned that moving your finger will not fix a problem ~ that would depend on the problem.
    Moving your finger position can definitely affect your shot POI. It doesn't have to but certainly can influence it.
    In the case where everything else is correct then this fine adjustment can be beneficial.
    Not a fix for other problems, however.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Actually, Jerry Miculek suggests using more trigger finger for heavier DA revolvers, and it has worked very well for me. There is a point where using the tip of your finger becomes counter beneficial. It requires alot of time to pull straight through an 11+ lb. trigger on an Airweight without yanking the shot a mile to the right. I can go faster, with tighter groups, using the more finger method.

For a semi-auto, light double action or single action revolver ... I've never encountered a reason to use more than my finger tip.

I agree. One of the things I've found that helps me shoot my revolvers better in DA mode is actually pulling the trigger with the last knuckle of my index finger. I can't get a straight pull with the pad of my finger and the gun will jump like mad if I try something like a fast double. It stays pretty steady the way I shoot, though.

YMMV though. What works for one doesn't always work for all, and there is no 100% "right" method for putting lead on target. Accuracy is simply another word for repeatability. If you do it the same way every time, and it's consistent, you're golden.

Top Bottom