• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RugerFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Anyone know of any machine shops that could offer this service to me? And possibly price?

Thank you!
    Hurley's Gold

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    It would be cheaper to sell the 80% and go buy a finished one.

If you take it to a machine shop to complete it, they must be a licensed manufacturer and will have to do the paperwork to transfer it to you when done.

The idea of an 80% is you do it yourself to legally avoid a transfer, paper trail, etc. That means you have to do the work on your own, not farm it out to someone else.

Now if you have the machining skills and you can find a place to rent you time on a mill, that is no issue.

If that shop in Clear Lake is doing that without the proper procedure they are in danger of huge firearms violations, fines, prison, etc.

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I looked into this and it's just cheaper and easier to buy a completed lower. They can be found in the $90 range once again. If you are on the south side use Mark Chernushin to do your transfers; he only charges $15. A bit of a drive, though. I've done several with him and he has my whole-hearted endorsement.

RugerFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Actually I have heard of machine shops in other areas that let you take them in and press the start button on the CNC machine.. They just charge you a flat fee for using their equipment. Thanks anyways guys.

RugerFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    And for the record, I am not trying to avoid a transfer, paper trail, or bg check. I won one in a contest and it did not come with a jig. The company is from Southern California and the owner told me to look for a CNC shop that would enter the variables in a machine and let me hit the start button.

RugerFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Here is an example

Outlaw Gunsmithing [guest post by a former sniper and current pw reader] | protein wisdom

"Now, the place where I bought this little beauty (for $135) is also a machine shop. For another $80, they will allow you to use their 3-axis CNC mill to do a little work on your paperweight. As it happens, they have a couple of nifty milling programs that will gut the inside of the receiver, cut a hole for the trigger, stuff like that. But, and this is the critical part, you are the person who pushes the button to work the machine. In total, I think you make three cuts to the receiver, and then you have to drill about 4 holes. At each step, there is an expert machinist there to help you, but you are the person who pushes the button to start the cutting, you are the person who works the drill press to drill the holes. When you are finished, the paperweight is indistinguishable from a commercial AR15 lower receiver, except, there are no identifying marks.

"T
    his is how you make an AR15 lower receiver. The machine shop requires you to sign an affidavit stating that you are legally allowed to own a firearm, and they take a copy of your drivers license. However, all this is simply for the purpose of CYA. They do not report the information to the government, and when you are finished with the lower receiver, there are no markings on the thing and no but you and the machinist know you have it. - See more at: http://proteinwisdom.com/?p=46620#sthash.tvan77l9.dpuf"

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Like I said, you are doing the work. You first asked about someone doing it for you. Don't know what level the BATF will consider them doing the work vs. you doing the work. Would hate to be the test case.

With 80% lowers selling for about the same price as a new completely finished ones. I Doubt you will find a shop that would help you with the tools, programming, supervision, instruction, safety gear, tool wear, insurance waver for using their equipment and being in their shop, and allow you to do it for about the $10 that you might save.

Sell the thing on here for $70-80 and go buy a brand new one for $<100. Way less hassle and a better product.

Of course, if money is no object, you could always drive to Austin http://www.techshop.ws/

Last edited:

RugerFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    I never asked about anyone doing it for me. I asked if any shops could oder me their.service as in letting me.use their equipment. Should have made myself clear. But once again, no one knows of a place that would let me sign a waiver and push the "Start," button?

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    I never asked about anyone doing it for me. I asked if any shops could oder me their.service as in letting me.use their equipment. Should have made myself clear. But once again, no one knows of a place that would let me sign a waiver and push the "Start," button?

PM Wakal. he is out in Von Ormy and may be able to point you in the drection of someone that can help you out.

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    I have heard mixed this about this (as far as legality) but have always wanted to do it. I would like to machine 2 have them custom engraved and then give one to my daughter (who is 6) and then we can built them up together. Get them Cerakoted, etc. Something that would be fun for her now and *hopefully* far more meaningful when she is older.

Top Bottom