Join TexasGunTalk

Finish an 80% lower in San Antonio?

Discussion in 'San Antonio' started by RugerFan, Sep 9, 2013.

1. RugerFan

RugerFan Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Anyone know of any machine shops that could offer this service to me? And possibly price?

Thank you!

2. Texasjack

Texasjack TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I know a guy in Clear Lake (Houston) that does this.

3. RugerFan

RugerFan Member

Mar 1, 2013
    A little too far for me but thanks!

4. Acera

Acera TGT Addict

Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    It would be cheaper to sell the 80% and go buy a finished one.

If you take it to a machine shop to complete it, they must be a licensed manufacturer and will have to do the paperwork to transfer it to you when done.

The idea of an 80% is you do it yourself to legally avoid a transfer, paper trail, etc. That means you have to do the work on your own, not farm it out to someone else.

Now if you have the machining skills and you can find a place to rent you time on a mill, that is no issue.

If that shop in Clear Lake is doing that without the proper procedure they are in danger of huge firearms violations, fines, prison, etc.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  5. London

London The advocate's Devil. TGT Supporter

Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I looked into this and it's just cheaper and easier to buy a completed lower. They can be found in the $90 range once again. If you are on the south side use Mark Chernushin to do your transfers; he only charges $15. A bit of a drive, though. I've done several with him and he has my whole-hearted endorsement.

6. RugerFan

RugerFan Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Actually I have heard of machine shops in other areas that let you take them in and press the start button on the CNC machine.. They just charge you a flat fee for using their equipment. Thanks anyways guys.

7. RugerFan

RugerFan Member

Mar 1, 2013
    And for the record, I am not trying to avoid a transfer, paper trail, or bg check. I won one in a contest and it did not come with a jig. The company is from Southern California and the owner told me to look for a CNC shop that would enter the variables in a machine and let me hit the start button.

8. RugerFan

RugerFan Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Here is an example

Outlaw Gunsmithing [guest post by a former sniper and current pw reader] | protein wisdom

"Now, the place where I bought this little beauty (for $135) is also a machine shop. For another $80, they will allow you to use their 3-axis CNC mill to do a little work on your paperweight. As it happens, they have a couple of nifty milling programs that will gut the inside of the receiver, cut a hole for the trigger, stuff like that. But, and this is the critical part, you are the person who pushes the button to work the machine. In total, I think you make three cuts to the receiver, and then you have to drill about 4 holes. At each step, there is an expert machinist there to help you, but you are the person who pushes the button to start the cutting, you are the person who works the drill press to drill the holes. When you are finished, the paperweight is indistinguishable from a commercial AR15 lower receiver, except, there are no identifying marks.

"T
    his is how you make an AR15 lower receiver. The machine shop requires you to sign an affidavit stating that you are legally allowed to own a firearm, and they take a copy of your drivers license. However, all this is simply for the purpose of CYA. They do not report the information to the government, and when you are finished with the lower receiver, there are no markings on the thing and no but you and the machinist know you have it. - See more at: http://proteinwisdom.com/?p=46620#sthash.tvan77l9.dpuf"

9. London

London The advocate's Devil. TGT Supporter

Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    If you can't find a shop you can always try to sell/trade it for a completed lower.

10. Acera

Acera TGT Addict

Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Like I said, you are doing the work. You first asked about someone doing it for you. Don't know what level the BATF will consider them doing the work vs. you doing the work. Would hate to be the test case.

With 80% lowers selling for about the same price as a new completely finished ones. I Doubt you will find a shop that would help you with the tools, programming, supervision, instruction, safety gear, tool wear, insurance waver for using their equipment and being in their shop, and allow you to do it for about the $10 that you might save.

Sell the thing on here for $70-80 and go buy a brand new one for $<100. Way less hassle and a better product.

Of course, if money is no object, you could always drive to Austin http://www.techshop.ws/

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013