Venture Surplus ad

Fiocchi ammo not for use in certain firearms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Ok this struck my curiosity so I'm posting it up to see if anyone knows a reason or has an opinion on this.

My dad's buddy gave him a box of Fiocchi 22 mag and I just happened to catch a little sticker on the box that says "This ammo is not for use in North American Arms firearms". Would have probably just skimmed it and let it be but that's exactly what he would have been using this in, one of those North American Arms little pocket revolvers. I tried calling both Fiocchi but their customer service dept is closed til January 7th and North American Arms but theirs is closed for the weekend. I emailed them asking for some clarification but don't expect to hear back any time soon so figured what the heck I'll post it here. I'm not super familiar with Fiocchi ammo aside from rumors of a bad track record, so any answers or guesses?

This is the ammo in question and you can see the warning label

aqegy9ev.jpg

zy6eby4e.jpg

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Cant speak for the .22 but i use it in my 1911 what do they mean by north american fire arms?
    Cause my .45 is a springer.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    I don't know the "reason" but my "opinion" is that I would go along with their warning and not use that ammo in any NAA firearm

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    And Google for the win.

North American Arms Product Advisory May 2004

May, 2004****PRODUCT PERFORMANCE ADVISORY BULLETIN*****This Product Performance Advisory Bulletin is issued for the benefit of NAA's customers, owners and users of its .22 caliber revolvers. NAA has recently learned that the use of*PMC .22 caliber ammunition (Magnum and LR)*may affect the performance of its revolvers. Specifically, NAA has become aware of a phenomenon where an inadvertent, double-discharge (two rounds simultaneously discharging, one aligned with the barrel and the other out of battery) may occur when*PMC Brand ammunition*is used in NAA .22 caliber revolvers. These double discharge occurrences have been investigated by NAA and, based on the results of our investigation to date, it appears that the inadvertent, double-discharge has only occurred with*PMC Brand .22 caliber ammunition*, both in magnum and long rifle. However, NAA has not learned of any confirmed double-discharge occurrences involving any other brand of manufacturer's ammunition.*****At this time, NAA recommends that its customers, owners and users of NAA .22 revolvers*DO NOT USE ANY PMC .22 CALIBER ammunition (Magnum and/or LR)*in any model of NAA revolvers. As with all of its firearms, NAA encourages its customers to exercise the utmost caution and care when using its products, including always wearing appropriate eye and ear protection and following all of the Basic Rules of Firearms Safety.*****NAA takes tremendous pride in its finely crafted products. Its products have been certified by independent testing laboratories to meet or exceed every published firearms standard for safety, performance and reliability. All of NAA's products are warranted for a lifetime and its customer service and technical teams are ranked among the best in the industry, serving its more than 500,000 customers over the past thirty years.*****NAA appreciates that, among other things, its products are purchased and used as back-up weapons for law enforcement and for personal protection. As such, NAA recognizes that its customers should be supplied with any information that may affect the safety, performance and reliability of its products.*****If you have any questions concerning this Product Performance Advisory Bulletin, please contact us at (800) 821-5783 or write us at North American Arms, 2150 South 950 East, Provo, Utah 84606-6285, Attention General Manager.*This advisory is being extended to additional brands of ammunition which may be made under subcontract to PMC.**These include certain models of ARMSCOR & FIOCCHI products.**If the box identifies the contents as "Made in the Phillipines", we recommend*against*using the product in NAA mini-revolvers.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Interesting reading from the warning in the link. My next question is why would there be a double discharge? What is it about those brands that is different? Case size? Primer sensitivity? Or is the design of NAA guns something to look at? A combination? Some sort of tolerance stack between the gun and the ammo?

How about some case measurements of Fiocchi ammo vs others? Brands often have a range they are manf in which may not be the same range as another brand. For example, troubleshooting the .380 for FTEjects with only one brand. After spec'ing several brands I learned that brand had a slightly smaller rim diameter avg than others. So the extractor had to be tightened to ensure it got the smaller cases too. Now no more problems with FTEject with that brand. Could this be similar where the case rim size, which is the primer in a rimfire cartridge could be too big or too sensitive that it receives some kind of impact & ignition upon FP strike on the cartridge in the chamber?

jtw2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Cedar Creek
    my guess would be sensitive primers combined with the round sitting loosely in the cylinder allows the round to slam back into the frame and touching off the primer.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    my guess would be sensitive primers combined with the round sitting loosely in the cylinder allows the round to slam back into the frame and touching off the primer.

This and add in a huge (relatively speaking of course) recoil in the mini revolver.

Top Bottom