• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    A few weeks ago, I was driving around 610 and inadvertently angered one of my fellow motorists by not realizing that he intended to use the shoulder to drive around congested traffic and merge into my lane in the place my car occupied at the time. There wasn't much I could have done - slamming on the brakes or swerving into another lane were not options due to the congested traffic he was trying to beat. Apparently unhappy that I forced him to stop in the shoulder instead of hitting a construction barrier artfully hidden behind orange barrels and warning signs, he managed to catch up with me and ride about four inches off my bumper. It looked like he was trying to get beside me, but that pesky congested traffic inconsiderate drivers occupying the place he was trying to inject his car prevented that for a while. I did my best to ignore the fool and drive like someone interested in not being involved in a wreck.

After some time, traffic opened up and the aggressive guy was able to drive up next to my drivers side. He did the good old cholo fake swerve to try to run me off the road, but it didn't work. He fell back for a bit, then appeared on my passenger side. I was still ignoring him hoping he'd give up and go away, but out of the corner of my eye I saw his window going down. I reached down to my belt to draw and I remember thinking... I was already riding the brakes when I heard a loud thump from that side of the car.

So what do you guys think? Stop the threat? I think the other drivers actions had passed any reasonable line to consider them assault well before that point.

I was going to be cute and leave the account unfinished, but the fact that you didn't hear about me on the evening news is probably a giveaway for my choice of action. What I remember thinking was "WTF are you going to do, genius, take a few poorly aimed shots at this fool into the large backstop of merging traffic and parking lot full of tailgaters?" After a quick check to make sure that I wasn't hit and didn't see any damage at a glace, I tried to follow him while calling the popo. He took off swerving between cars and almost caused a couple more wrecks. I couldn't safely keep up, so I would up giving the dispatcher a description and partial plate and I'm sure nothing came of it. There was no damage to the car, so I am guessing he threw a water bottle. I can't think of anything else I could have reasonably done, and after thinking about it, I still not shoot in that situation even if he had been shooting at me.
    Target Sports

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    One day he will get his. Just be glad you didn't have to serve it up. Half of my job is driving. I didn't carry for years, because when I was younger I was a hot head when it came to road rage incidents and didn't trust myself. Now I just ignore it. If it escalates beyond words it won't be because of me. I think you made the right choice, but completely understand where you are coming from.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Leave the situation if possible. Take an extra exit, hit a loop that he can’t make.

I wouldn’t have discharged a weapon under those circumstances. Probably wouldn’t have followed either. Get a plate number if you can and call it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mamboloco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2019
    DFW
    I had an Idiot like that swerving around like he was on crack. cut short in front of me to get on the should to pass the car in front of me. he nearly caused a crash and went over a ton of truck tire shards that had piled up of the shoulder.

I agree with Younggun, get the plate, call the popo when it's safe and try to exit. I drive with a dash cam so I usually catch the plate if they get in front of me. planning to put a rear one on too.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    The normal result of these encounters is that you get charged with aggravated assualt.

This is why cameras are a great weapon for you.

Until he points a giant you never show your gun.

I have had cases where the guy never showed his gun but was charged with aggravated assualt because the aggressive driver claimed that he showed his gun.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    The normal result of these encounters is that you get charged with aggravated assualt.
    This is why cameras are a great weapon for you.
    Until he points a giant you never show your gun.

I have had cases where the guy never showed his gun but was charged with aggravated assualt because the aggressive driver claimed that he showed his gun.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Dang....

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    When people get pissed off at me like that, I just smile and wave. That really enrages them :laughing:

I did have one dude that wanted to follow me. It was a bit out of the way, but I drove to a police station. Dude sped off when I pulled into the parking lot.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    When people get pissed off at me like that, I just smile and wave. That really enrages them :laughing:

I did have one dude that wanted to follow me. It was a bit out of the way, but I drove to a police station. Dude sped off when I pulled into the parking lot.
    Yeah that's a fun game, but I was actually interested in deescalating the situation in that case. Not that I'm innocent of the smile and wave. :/

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I had an Idiot like that swerving around like he was on crack. cut short in front of me to get on the should to pass the car in front of me. he nearly caused a crash and went over a ton of truck tire shards that had piled up of the shoulder.

I agree with Younggun, get the plate, call the popo when it's safe and try to exit. I drive with a dash cam so I usually catch the plate if they get in front of me. planning to put a rear one on too.
    Yeah he was gone before the next open exit came up. The only one we passed had a line of cars stopped to take it, so it wouldn't have helped for getting distance between us. This was on 610 S where it goes down to two lanes in front of the astrodome. I should get another camera, but I was in a relative's car at the time so it wouldn't have helped unless I switched it over.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Once it becomes dangerous, 911 is your friend. De-escalate as Young Gun mentioned. If the subject continues to follow, stay on with 911 and head for nearest PD station.

Firing from a moving vehicle introduces variables most people don’t consider, one of which is a constantly moving backstop, possible inability to discern any neutral/non-combatants in the other vehicle, and barriers.

I’ve done it in training evolutions with a rifle and being a passenger. Our SoPs were the driver focused on driving while the gunners focused on engaging the threats. Solo is a different beast as you’re now trying to control the effects of two weapons, one being the vehicle and the other being the firearm.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Pepper spray through his window, or PIT his car if you have to. Best choice is what you did. People are getting crazier out there.

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Houston Freeways are very dangerous. Does anyone remember the dipsticks that called themselves "The Westside Bullies"? They had signs on their vehicles identifying them. There were even women in the "club". They were out to cause trouble and they ran in bunches. They tangled with me one afternoon. I was able to out maneuver them.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    All sounds like a normal day in Odessa. Had people yelling at me for, I guess, not stopping on the highway to let them enter from a side street.

Top Bottom