Firearm advice given to women

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by idleprocess, May 8, 2009.

1. idleprocess

idleprocess Active Member

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    This article sums up some of the weird behavior I see whenever a woman wants information or advice about firearms - on the internet or in person.

I've seen many a gun store sales clerk steering woman with average physiques (as in not petite) away from a quality 9mm/.40/.45ACP handgun well within their capabilities towards a .380 or .32ACP mousegun whose recoil and shootability will be far worse - or a compact/lightweight revolver with the same problems. Rather than reasonably sorting out their needs, comfort level, and ability, they go towards aesthetics or demeaning assumptions about their capabilities.

I may be guilty of doing this sort of thing myself on occasion, but make an effort to avoid it. I try to keep it factual and try not to

2. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've only been in the firearms retail area a short period of time, and have already seen that probably a large amount of guys coming through there looking for guns for their wives/girlfriends are just plain idiots. It's tough to make recommendations because testosterone flares and many can't stand to be shown that their stereotypical and archaic beliefs are quite possibly the worst recommendations. I mean after all, age is the only indicator of wisdom, right? :rolleyes: I just hate the fact that I end up having to sell the wrong self defense handguns to these women because their husbands/boyfriends can't get their heads out of their @sses. I've come across plenty of younger guys just as full of it. No, snubnose revolvers are not the "perfect" gun for a woman. No, 40s&w and larger AREN'T the only calibers worth a damn. Yes, semi autos can be perfectly reliable, and in many cases easier to shoot more accurately than those "perfect" snubnoses with their 15# triggers.

Sometimes I think there should be a shooting proficiency test in every gun store the second you come in. If you pass it, you can talk. If not, shut your mouth and keep your opinions to yourself. ;) lol The funny part is the type of male demographic that fits the above profile usually can't shoot worth a damn.

3. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Just wait til you have kids and you meet these people, with their kids, at school, church, karate, etc..

4. Starker

Starker Active Member

Yeah, it's not only guns they're ignorant about! :hammerhead:

5. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    When my wife decided she wanted a gun I took her to a range that had rentals so she could try many different handguns to decide for herself what fit her the best. She had almost no knowledge of firearms other than they went bang. So we did safety, grip, muzzle control, loading, cleaning (is this weekend) and shooting. She did well, she decided on what she wanted and we got it as her choice.

As we prepare for our CHL class she was becoming discouraged as her shot placement wasn't all that great especially at 15 yards. I imparted all my (lil) knowledge and it didn't seem to help, so I asked if she'd be interested in taking a lesson from an instructor, she was. So I took her back to the range (on ladies day, free lessons) and I listened to the instrusctor also from the next lane, he gave lots of the same advice/info and some I had not thought of or worded better. She did great, she felt great about shooting and more confident. She told me she was glad i recommended the lesson.
    Glad I don't have to remove head from unstated oriface.

6. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    :happy0001: That's a great article. I think I found a sig line in there. I'm going to ask the guy if I can use it:

"There’s no gun ever made that requires testicles to operate it properly and safely."

7. hk boy

hk boy Active Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    uh shorts....
    remember there are 2 kinds of guns
    "one for killin' and one for fun"
    which one are you talkin' 'bout?

8. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Fightn':hammerhead:

9. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My personal favorite is how guys think all women need micro-machine revolvers that weigh 2 ounces chambered in .38 that kick like a damn mule and have 12# triggers (literally). Hell I don't even like shooting those things.

I also wish the Walther PPK was never made. It's a pile of shit, and James Bond was a lame-ass for carrying it. It's finicky, chambered in lethargic calibers, and it's like holding a box of razors in your hand when you shoot it. Did I mention it likes to jam no matter how well you hold it? God forbid the thing ever get dirty. Walther at least redeems itself with the PPS, which is by far one of the best carry guns on the market.

10. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yet another annoying thing is that I constantly see guys recommending to their significant other that they need a revolver. Because somehow a semi auto is just far too complicated for a woman to understand. :rolleyes: Yeah right. While it's mostly a personal preference thing, I tend to think that most people in general are better off with a semi auto and a little bit of practice with some remedial action drills (tap rack bang, then the double feed drill). Semi's usually have easier/lighter triggers, they hold more ammo, even some of the subcompacts don't recoil nearly as much as a J frame, most modern semis are still very reliable, etc etc. Revolvers, and the J frame in particular still have a certain role that they fill pretty well, but they aren't the right hand of God or anything as some like to think. ;)