• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I don't agree with this, but honestly it really depends on the personality of the instructor. If you can remain honest and work with her then you can achieve results.

The problem is that most guys out there...

1. Don't know how to shoot properly to begin with.
    2. Think if the gun goes off she is doing awesome! (Yay! Go baby go!)
    3. Are overbearing assholes that just make her frustrated.

I've told alot of guys at the range, "Do you want to show her how to properly shoot that, or do you want me to do it?". If they don't want to man up and teach her how to honestly shoot the gun, which might save her life, or yours, or both, then you need to just stop wasting your time.

Needless to say, I've taught alot of women how to school their SOs in shooting.

You're not married, are ya?
    ARJ Defense ad

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I've actually had rather good luck introducing my wife to guns and teaching her how to shoot. I have had previous instructor experience through NRA and 4-H shotgun programs though. Since Mother's Day last year (when I bought her first gun, and yes SHE picked it out) until now, we have shot pistols from .22lr to .45acp, .38spc/.357mag revolvers, .22lr rifles, .410 shotgun and even shot her first and second deer with her .243win. She has her own guns and keeps eyeballin' mine and is ready to move up to a .270win (her decision) before deer season starts. Perhaps this isn't typical, but it is indeed possible as long as the husband/boyfriend/baby daddy is semi-capable and understanding of the emotion that women tend to involve in anything they do. If you're like me you quickly find out that your wife/girlfriend/baby mama will most likely learn to outshoot you in short order and no matter how much you practice and she doesn't it likely won't change. My wife told me she was glad I taught her and not her father, and now my MIL wants me to teach her how to shoot without my FIL being involved. Oh well, I reckon I'll stop rambling now.

Starker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The High Ground of Texas
    I've actually had rather good luck introducing my wife to guns and teaching her how to shoot. I have had previous instructor experience through NRA and 4-H shotgun programs though. Since Mother's Day last year (when I bought her first gun, and yes SHE picked it out) until now, we have shot pistols from .22lr to .45acp, .38spc/.357mag revolvers, .22lr rifles, .410 shotgun and even shot her first and second deer with her .243win. She has her own guns and keeps eyeballin' mine and is ready to move up to a .270win (her decision) before deer season starts. Perhaps this isn't typical, but it is indeed possible as long as the husband/boyfriend/baby daddy is semi-capable and understanding of the emotion that women tend to involve in anything they do. If you're like me you quickly find out that your wife/girlfriend/baby mama will most likely learn to outshoot you in short order and no matter how much you practice and she doesn't it likely won't change. My wife told me she was glad I taught her and not her father, and now my MIL wants me to teach her how to shoot without my FIL being involved. Oh well, I reckon I'll stop rambling now.

You're such a Ladies' Man! ;)

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    As Alan said it does depend on the personalities of the couple. Some work together very well and there is a great teaching environment. Some you wonder why you put them in the same room together with firearms

Firearms are one of those topics where couples need to be honest with themselves and each other. If they know it might cause a riff to instruct, then seek out a good instructor.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    As Alan said it does depend on the personalities of the couple. Some work together very well and there is a great teaching environment. Some you wonder why you put them in the same room together with firearms

Firearms are one of those topics where couples need to be honest with themselves and each other. If they know it might cause a riff to instruct, then seek out a good instructor.
    Couldn't agree more

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    "Introducing" them to firearms is one thing. I introduced my wife to firearms, taught her the basics, etc. That all went fine. It's the more intensive training that involves moving, shooting, yelling, stressing, etc. that just doesn't work so well when you're married!

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    "Introducing" them to firearms is one thing. I introduced my wife to firearms, taught her the basics, etc. That all went fine. It's the more intensive training that involves moving, shooting, yelling, stressing, etc. that just doesn't work so well when you're married!

That I will agree on, but wasn't (as I understood it) necessarily the nature of the original post. My wife has definitely already surpassed the point where I can offer any advice that would be helpful to continue to develop her skills.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

I could agree with that, my point was more or less oriented towards basics.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    The truth is that any woman that is at least 5ft high and in average to good physical shape with no handicaps should easily be able to safely and accurately handle several of the medium to full sized "service" semi-auto 9mms.

This includes the Glock 19/17, XD-9, SIG P228/226/229, CZ-75, Hi-Power, Beretta Px4 or an M&P9. There are others but picking one of these or one that is not mentioned in this class and they're well armed with somethign they can handle.

I beleive the 9mm to be a minimum caliber for them to choose from as well. If they WANT to move up to a 40 or 45...let them make the decision after firing one.

These guys that race out and buy a 32 or 380 for their wives just kill me.

- brickboy240

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Hell, my wife wanted to get a 45...it was me who was wanting to get 9mm (mostly for price since we're coming into this sport a little late)... We settled in the middle at .40... a little bigger than the 9mm and a little cheaper than the 45. We did however take a basic handgun class back in novemeber ('08), and the instructor was dead set on pushing her to a .380 even though she was wanting to try a 45 at that time. In the end, the "smaller, better for girls" :rolleyes:round packed more punch and wasn't as much fun for her to shoot as our .40's and it kicked more...I think it's like anything else in life. Everybody should try a few out and decide what they like best for themselves. The same thing that works for you won't necessarily be right for me.

Paulie Boy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Near Victoria
    Ive walked into a few gunshops and when asked "What are you looking for today sir?" I say just browsing for my wife. They immediately start pulling out snub nosed revolvers in .38 or semi .380's! I laugh and tell them "let me go get my wife and if you can convince her into buying that mouse gun before she can take it out of your hands and pistol whip you with it, Ill reconsider! IDIOTS! When they see my statuesque, beautiful 5'9" 170lb bombshell come in they ALWAYS swallow thier feet!
    She goes to the 1911's or what feels great in her hand. But the .45ACP is her preference! Here are a few pics of her. Do you think she's playing? Do you think she needs a peashooter?

SD530980.jpg

SD530984.jpg

I need to upload pics with her and the .45's!

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You should have her go to a reputable firearms instructor to try to get her to stop leaning back when she shoots. Pretty bad form. It is awesome that she is into shooting but get her to get in a better stance.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I laugh and tell them "let me go get my wife and if you can convince her into buying that mouse gun before she can take it out of your hands and pistol whip you with it, Ill reconsider! IDIOTS! When they see my statuesque, beautiful 5'9" 170lb bombshell come in they ALWAYS swallow thier feet!

Uh-huh. :rolleyes:

Paulie Boy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Near Victoria
    You should have her go to a reputable firearms instructor to try to get her to stop leaning back when she shoots. Pretty bad form. It is awesome that she is into shooting but get her to get in a better stance.
    I try to stay on her about the lean, but as long as she's comfortable with it and putting the shots where she calls them Im fine with it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    That's a great article. I think I found a sig line in there. I'm going to ask the guy if I can use it:

"There’s no gun ever made that requires testicles to operate it properly and safely."

I read that blog regularly. IIRC, he's Ok with people cribbing for stuff like this as long as it's attributed. It's when people attribute his stuff to guys like "Major Caudill" and/or publish it in commercial venues (without permission) that he gets upset.

Top Bottom