• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    This article sums up some of the weird behavior I see whenever a woman wants information or advice about firearms - on the internet or in person.

I've seen many a gun store sales clerk steering woman with average physiques (as in not petite) away from a quality 9mm/.40/.45ACP handgun well within their capabilities towards a .380 or .32ACP mousegun whose recoil and shootability will be far worse - or a compact/lightweight revolver with the same problems. Rather than reasonably sorting out their needs, comfort level, and ability, they go towards aesthetics or demeaning assumptions about their capabilities.

I may be guilty of doing this sort of thing myself on occasion, but make an effort to avoid it. I try to keep it factual and try not to
    Hurley's Gold

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've only been in the firearms retail area a short period of time, and have already seen that probably a large amount of guys coming through there looking for guns for their wives/girlfriends are just plain idiots. It's tough to make recommendations because testosterone flares and many can't stand to be shown that their stereotypical and archaic beliefs are quite possibly the worst recommendations. I mean after all, age is the only indicator of wisdom, right? :rolleyes: I just hate the fact that I end up having to sell the wrong self defense handguns to these women because their husbands/boyfriends can't get their heads out of their @sses. I've come across plenty of younger guys just as full of it. No, snubnose revolvers are not the "perfect" gun for a woman. No, 40s&w and larger AREN'T the only calibers worth a damn. Yes, semi autos can be perfectly reliable, and in many cases easier to shoot more accurately than those "perfect" snubnoses with their 15# triggers.

Sometimes I think there should be a shooting proficiency test in every gun store the second you come in. If you pass it, you can talk. If not, shut your mouth and keep your opinions to yourself. ;) lol The funny part is the type of male demographic that fits the above profile usually can't shoot worth a damn.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I've only been in the firearms retail area a short period of time, and have already seen that probably a large amount of guys coming through there looking for guns for their wives/girlfriends are just plain idiots.

Just wait til you have kids and you meet these people, with their kids, at school, church, karate, etc..

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    When my wife decided she wanted a gun I took her to a range that had rentals so she could try many different handguns to decide for herself what fit her the best. She had almost no knowledge of firearms other than they went bang. So we did safety, grip, muzzle control, loading, cleaning (is this weekend) and shooting. She did well, she decided on what she wanted and we got it as her choice.

As we prepare for our CHL class she was becoming discouraged as her shot placement wasn't all that great especially at 15 yards. I imparted all my (lil) knowledge and it didn't seem to help, so I asked if she'd be interested in taking a lesson from an instructor, she was. So I took her back to the range (on ladies day, free lessons) and I listened to the instrusctor also from the next lane, he gave lots of the same advice/info and some I had not thought of or worded better. She did great, she felt great about shooting and more confident. She told me she was glad i recommended the lesson.
    Glad I don't have to remove head from unstated oriface.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    That's a great article. I think I found a sig line in there. I'm going to ask the guy if I can use it:

"There’s no gun ever made that requires testicles to operate it properly and safely."

hk boy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    uh shorts....
    remember there are 2 kinds of guns
    "one for killin' and one for fun"
    which one are you talkin' 'bout?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My personal favorite is how guys think all women need micro-machine revolvers that weigh 2 ounces chambered in .38 that kick like a damn mule and have 12# triggers (literally). Hell I don't even like shooting those things.

I also wish the Walther PPK was never made. It's a pile of shit, and James Bond was a lame-ass for carrying it. It's finicky, chambered in lethargic calibers, and it's like holding a box of razors in your hand when you shoot it. Did I mention it likes to jam no matter how well you hold it? God forbid the thing ever get dirty. Walther at least redeems itself with the PPS, which is by far one of the best carry guns on the market.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yet another annoying thing is that I constantly see guys recommending to their significant other that they need a revolver. Because somehow a semi auto is just far too complicated for a woman to understand. :rolleyes: Yeah right. While it's mostly a personal preference thing, I tend to think that most people in general are better off with a semi auto and a little bit of practice with some remedial action drills (tap rack bang, then the double feed drill). Semi's usually have easier/lighter triggers, they hold more ammo, even some of the subcompacts don't recoil nearly as much as a J frame, most modern semis are still very reliable, etc etc. Revolvers, and the J frame in particular still have a certain role that they fill pretty well, but they aren't the right hand of God or anything as some like to think. ;)

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The worst thing a husband/boyfriend/ can do is attempt to teach firearms to their wife/girlfriend. I am an instructor and when my wife wants training.... she goes to another instructor. I have absolutely no problem with it whatsoever and sincerely wish that more guys would go this route themselves. The wives/girlfriends can operate without the pressure of having their SO looking over their shoulder and they tend{ in my experience} to have a lot more fun when they go to the range..and tend to go more often.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    The worst thing a husband/boyfriend/ can do is attempt to teach firearms to their wife/girlfriend. I am an instructor and when my wife wants training.... she goes to another instructor. I have absolutely no problem with it whatsoever and sincerely wish that more guys would go this route themselves. The wives/girlfriends can operate without the pressure of having their SO looking over their shoulder and they tend{ in my experience} to have a lot more fun when they go to the range..and tend to go more often.

I paid Sears to teach my kid driving.

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    snubs

A year or so back I bought an attractive, older Detective Special. I was very happy with my purchase. Bought a box of cartridges,( that was back when you could still buy them) and off to the range. I fired one cylinder of cartridges through it, cleaned it and sold it at the next gun show. At least I got my money back. If I had kept it, I could have made a profit. I'm just kind of stuck on these old 1911's-they are hard to beat.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    That is so true. My fiance doesn't want the small guns tho, I suggested we get a 9mm for her to shoot and she replied "what is wrong with you gun? I like your gun." it's a 40 and she can shoot it until her wrist gets sore (from carpal tunnel) and she likes the .50 muzzle loader to. ( I spell checked the doesn't this time and that is what I got)

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    That is so true. My fiance doesn't want the small guns tho, I suggested we get a 9mm for her to shoot and she replied "what is wrong with you gun? I like your gun." it's a 40 and she can shoot it until her wrist gets sore (from carpal tunnel) and she likes the .50 muzzle loader to. ( I spell checked the doesn't this time and that is what I got)

The correct answer to this is" Because it is mine" Almost lost my .44 mag Trail Boss to this question.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

I don't agree with this, but honestly it really depends on the personality of the instructor. If you can remain honest and work with her then you can achieve results.

The problem is that most guys out there...

1. Don't know how to shoot properly to begin with.
    2. Think if the gun goes off she is doing awesome! (Yay! Go baby go!)
    3. Are overbearing assholes that just make her frustrated.

I've told alot of guys at the range, "Do you want to show her how to properly shoot that, or do you want me to do it?". If they don't want to man up and teach her how to honestly shoot the gun, which might save her life, or yours, or both, then you need to just stop wasting your time.

Needless to say, I've taught alot of women how to school their SOs in shooting.

Top Bottom